· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Help!!!

1. Question Help!!!

0 Not allowed!
    My daughters 6" Comet Goldfish attempted to eat an oto about an hour ago, the poor otos tail is sticking out of Goldie's mouth and has been since she attempted to swallow it. Can fish choke to death? Should I net her and attempt to remove the oto? or Just leave her alone and let nature take care of things? (BTW I removed the remaining oto to my 75g tank)

Thanks

0 Not allowed!
    A fish can choke itself. Does the oto still move. If so you might be able to save it by netting the goldfish. Other wise you can let nature takes it course if the goldfish seems to be able to breathe as it should. Considering 30 min have allready past it would say that it most likely can.
    Do as I say. Not as I do.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The Oto is not moving and the goldfish doesn't seem stressed by the situation until she tries to finish off the Oto, then she thrashes around a bit. The problem is that she doesn't seem to be able to move the Oto further down her throat, the same length of tail is sticking out now as when she first tried to eat it. If I net her and remove the Oto could that damage the goldfish?
    Last edited by cjblac92; 01-17-2009 at 03:56 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    Than I think you can likely let nature take it course but there is always a risk so if you want to be sure you'll net it and remove the oto.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks, William. I'll keep an eye on the situation for a little while longer, see if she can move the Oto down, if she can't I think I'll net her - I just don't want to cause any more damage.

0 Not allowed!
    Be careful when you remove the oto. I am not sure if it is the case with with otos but some catfish have spikes on their fins that can cause damage if you are not careful.

7. Smile update on Goldie

0 Not allowed!
    Just wanted to let you know. Last night we netted Goldie and tried to remove the Oto, that seemed to be causing more harm than good so we quit and let things take care of themselves. This morning the Oto was still hanging out of her mouth, but Goldie didn't appear to be in any distress about it. My family and I just got home from church and checked on Goldie, she was able to expel the Oto while we were gone and she's doing fine. I just fed her (flake food) and she's eating great, swimming around and appears no worse for the wear.

So my advice: Don't mix Otos with Comet Goldfish, in fact, I don't think I'll be putting any other fish that are smaller than 2 solid inches in there with the Goldfish.

William, thank you again for your help.

0 Not allowed!
    Is the otto dead?