· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default Snakes - Thailand

0 Not allowed!
    Hi,

I'm jeff from Uk but been in thailand for a while now. Just thought you might like to see a couple of pics of snakes that i have had close encounters with.

1. This is locally known a singa. Locals reckon a bite off these is quite serious. They are always around here, after the water rats and mice, frogs etc. Unfortuantly, when you see these you have to kill them as we have small children around here playing.

2. This snake i am not sure what it is, I thought some type of cobra. But i was at the local shop top of the drive having a chat with a couple of swiss friends and i heard my dogs barking, came to the gate and could not see anything, but they just kept barking, unknown to me there was this thing on a window sill behind me, and i only knew when I heard it fall and I see it go behind a load of rubbish.

Called to a Thai family member and he came over, told me to be careful, CAREFUL...I didn't want to be there, anyway it had went into a clay water pipe, he grabbed it tossed it in the air and when it broke... all hell broke loose, the thing reared right up, we both backed off, it made a swoop for my friend, and he managed to whack it with his stick then whacked it again then walked off...lol

Looked this snake up on the internet and came across this website, http://www.mrx.no/Phuket/One_move_an...d_you_die.html one bite off this beauty and your dead in 15 minutes....

I have since found out that this snake is a copperhead ratsnake which are not poisionious at all.
    http://www.ratsnakes.com/Eradiata.html

Regards
    Jeff

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well having made me dead envious about your location in the introduction section, I now am pleased I have the grey weather and fog and mist. Dont think I could cope with those snakes around, but must say lovely pictures and thanks for sharing them with us.

Jellygirl
    Michelle
    There's more to fishkeeping than meets the eye.

Awards Showcase

Thanks and your first gift!! - The Red Severum Eggs woo hoo!!! - Gayle My new buddy.  LOL - Lady Hobbs because you're always there to help! - gourami*girl A beer for my fellow canuck! - NickFish 
    For being a pic hound!!! - Alfcea thankyou for all your help - sueshewoman A round of gifts for my friends at ac! - Wild Turkey to a very good buddy,happy thanksgiving - angelcakes Congrats on MOTM - Lady Hobbs 
    For being on the ball and having the forum at heart. - Brookfish Thanks for the gift! Now heres one for you ! - CephalopodLover congrats on MOTM - angelcakes same to you - mrs fishpatrick thanks for the help - LORENZO 
    merry christmas - cocoa_pleco sorry for your loss - lovleeko Seasons Greetings! - Brookfish Joyeux Noel!  :) - KrytterKrys Happy Christmas 2008 - fins_n_fur 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Northernguy 

0 Not allowed!
    That was a creepy story but funny!

I hate snakes!
    The only place I do not mind them is when they are around my waist(A belt)
    or in my pocket(Nice wallets)I do not even mind them around my feet(Boots).

I had a run in with a million water snakes as a kid and have never had any respect for them since!
    I know many have them as pets and I am sorry if I hurt anybody posting here.
    They had no right to scare me half to death as a kid though!lol
    Ray Your Freindly Neighborhood,Fully Mod-ified, Self-appointed Pic Hound!! Need pics!!!
    Have you filled out your profile yet ?????????????
    The Fabulous AC ebook Please read>http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html

0 Not allowed!
    It looks a lot like you're butchering Xenelaphis hexagonotus for no special reason at all.

A shame about the gorgeous Elaphe Radiata.

Just for the record, the very best way to get seriously bitten if you do come across one of the dangerously venomous species in Thailand is to try to kill it, (especially if it has already fled into a pile of rubbish and tried to hide in a clay pipe). A cornered animal being subjected to an unprovoked attack doesn't have much other choice but to fight back.

The dangerous snakes of Thailand tend to be pretty easily recognizable. The vipers will have large spade-shaped heads with a noticeable 'neck', the cobras will hood up when threatened at all, the dangerous coral snakes have extremely bright warning colors, and the technically dangerous sea snakes (which are extremely docile and pretty much helpless on land) will have very flat 'paddles' instead of tapered tails.

So, pretty please, when you come across random snakes, don't let your gut reaction be "whack whack... lol" in the future.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Allecto
    It looks a lot like you're butchering Xenelaphis hexagonotus for no special reason at all.

Just for the record, the very best way to get seriously bitten if you do come across one of the dangerously venomous species in Thailand is to try to kill it, (especially if it has already fled into a pile of rubbish and tried to hide in a clay pipe). A cornered animal being subjected to an unprovoked attack doesn't have much other choice but to fight back.

The dangerous snakes of Thailand tend to be pretty easily recognizable. The vipers will have large spade-shaped heads with a noticeable 'neck', the cobras will hood up when threatened at all, the dangerous coral snakes have extremely bright warning colors, and the technically dangerous sea snakes (which are extremely docile and pretty much helpless on land) will have very flat 'paddles' instead of tapered tails.

So, pretty please, when you come across random snakes, don't let your gut reaction be "whack whack... lol" in the future.
    Agreed 100% This is the same with sharks in the ocean..

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hi All,

Thanks for the info and advice, I have tryed explaining to my wife that the snakes are non poisionus, but she is still adamant that they are dangererous...especially has we have the children here. I think personally it is inbred in them from been born the same as the thai dogs that all snakes are dangerous. Only the other month a woman in the village was bit by a snake as she slept and died a few hours later.

The link I put in my original post regarding one bite off this and you dead in 15 minutes is taken from a snake farm/show. There are many here in thailand for the tourists as well as the Thais...I suppose with headlines like that and pictures like that it does not help the snake community of Thailand.

I have been doing a bit of research on the snakes of Thailand and have now started to understand them a bit more...What i have learnt recently is if a snake runs it's 90% non poisionus...if it stands and not flees there's a 90% chance it's poisionus.

Here's a couple of pics of a couple of snakes mating in the stream that runs along the side of the house. I could of easily have dropped a couple of large stones on them but decided against it having started my research.

I'm not that clued up with snakes, so i am not certain what type they are.

Regards
    Jeff

Awards Showcase

Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl 
    Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz 
    Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass 
    Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks for your help & points. - metweezer Nice to see you around again. enjoy the pie - fishmommie Thanks! :) I try! - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    i would just like to go on record as being a woman who is not afraid of snakes, nor do i think they should be killed. the non-poisonous ones i leave alone so they can eat the bugs off my plants or mouse in the field. i even have one that occasionally finds its way into my apartment. we catch him and put him back outside. my neighbors all know him as "tracys snake" and leave him alone. the poisonous ones we try to catch and relocate to a less populated area. we also have a lot of children playing around here. and every oportunity i get i try to educate them on the beauty of nature and how to respect it. and of course to NEVER go near a snake.

0 Not allowed!
    That might be a type of water snake.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Allecto

I also agree. I hate when people kill things out of ignorance and fear. I have been handling snakes (venomous and non-venomous) for years and have had my fare share of "close calls", but that is only because I have chosen to put myself in those positions. Very few snakes will ever hunt a human down just to bite them. Unless the snake is in your house...please leave them alone.
    -Jordan
    Gar connaisseur

Predatory Tank:
    20" Tropical Gar, 18" Florida Gar, 20" Longnose Gar,
    17" Ornate Bichir, 25" Silver Arowana, 16" Bowfin, 15" Giant Gourami

16" Male Dovii

0 Not allowed!
    Well in Australia we have the top 10 most deadliest snakes in the world and i don't like killing things that don't need to be killed either but when these things come into your backyard and threaten the lives of your family you do what you need to do so that no one gets killed.
    The snakes over here are extremely aggressive and most of them if someone just merely walks past them they will bite you.
    The stupid thing about the snakes over here is that they are protected and your not supposed to kill them, so if you find one in your backyard your meant to call a bloke and he will come around and catch it, thats providing the snake doesn't take off somewhere and hide until he gets there, and that's where they get dangerous.
    They take off and hide, the bloke that catches them can't find them, you can't find them and they're left there for you to stumble upon one day when you least expect it.
    Believe me if someones first thought is to get rid of the danger in there own backyard and that means a bang on the head well good luck to em, because they've done the family a favour.
    Sorry if i've offended all the people that have posted a "don't kill the snakes" comment but quite obviously they havn't had alot to do with them or live in a place where the snakes don't turn up on there door steps every second day.
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast