· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: weird catch

1. Default weird catch

0 Not allowed!
    I caught a small snakehead, i caught it in a local pond, someone must have released it there. I don't want to euthanize it, but i think that is my only option. I cannot legally release it back to where i caught it, i cannot legally keep it either, not that i have a big enough tank that i could keep it in anyway. I wouldn't feel too bad about killing it since it's an invasive species, but i don't really want to. I guess i'm gonna have no choice.

Awards Showcase

Here is a cuter version for you. - smaug a cory for your latest sucess :) - graceluvsplatys Great new tank,! Hope it brings you lots of M.T.S lol - Ryuu Yay I got my first two awards! - Gemini No Message - Wild Turkey 
    No Message - Wild Turkey No Message - Wild Turkey No Message - Wild Turkey No Message - Wild Turkey No Message - Wild Turkey 
    No Message - Wild Turkey No Message - Wild Turkey No Message - Wild Turkey No Message - Wild Turkey Thanks! - Wild Turkey 
    Happy Holidays! - Wild Turkey Happy Holidays! - Northernguy Happy Holidays and thanks! - Brookfish For being nice :) - harls_aussie Enjoy! - Northernguy 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Gemini Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Gemini Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - Gemini Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - Gemini Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Gemini 
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Gemini 

0 Not allowed!
    Is there a zoo or aquarium that could take it? Otherwise yep euthanaise is the only option. It's hard but your doing the right thing by not releasing it or trying to keep it.
    Fish are friends, not an expendable entertainment device!

Awards Showcase

Friends don't let friends drink alone, and I'm there for you man - Cliff After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1 I can't drink alone mate - ScottishFish I won't thank you because it's a thankless job 7 also I cannot find any CUC type gifts but thanks [ - 850R Cheers bud - Cliff 
    Time for a Pint? I cannae drink alone - ScottishFish Implied message here. - mommy1 Congrats MOTM !!! - Cliff Cheers! - escamosa I dunno why I'm giving you a skunkloach as your prize,. They just sound cool! :) - escamosa 
    Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas!! - ScottishFish Happy X-mas! :-) - MCHRKiller Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 
    A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199 Merry xmas! - ScottishFish Merry Christmas - mommy1 Happy New Year - mommy1 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    trade it to a local fish store for supplies maybe ???
    Thar she blows!!!

0 Not allowed!
    They are highly illegal in the United States, including California, so he'd probably be reported to the police if he tried to trade it in at a pet store.
    Lobsternoob, if you report your catch to your local game and fish commission plus the where and when, they will 'take care' of the fish for you.

Dave
    When a finger points to the moon, the imbecile looks at the finger.

Omnia mutantur nihil interit.

The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go

Awards Showcase

Friends don't let friends drink alone, and I'm there for you man - Cliff After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1 I can't drink alone mate - ScottishFish I won't thank you because it's a thankless job 7 also I cannot find any CUC type gifts but thanks [ - 850R Cheers bud - Cliff 
    Time for a Pint? I cannae drink alone - ScottishFish Implied message here. - mommy1 Congrats MOTM !!! - Cliff Cheers! - escamosa I dunno why I'm giving you a skunkloach as your prize,. They just sound cool! :) - escamosa 
    Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas!! - ScottishFish Happy X-mas! :-) - MCHRKiller Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 
    A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199 Merry xmas! - ScottishFish Merry Christmas - mommy1 Happy New Year - mommy1 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    ohh.. I didn't know they were illegal there.. they couldn't survive our Canadian winters, although people do catch pacus and pirahna in the Detroit river every now and then...
    Thar she blows!!!

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Crispy
    ohh.. I didn't know they were illegal there.. they couldn't survive our Canadian winters, although people do catch pacus and pirahna in the Detroit river every now and then...
    LoL the list of fish and aquatic plants that are banned in the US is a mile long, and piranha are illegal in most all warmer states.

Dave
    When a finger points to the moon, the imbecile looks at the finger.

Omnia mutantur nihil interit.

The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave66
    LoL the list of fish and aquatic plants that are banned in the US is a mile long, and piranha are illegal in most all warmer states.
    I guess it only makes sense... so no LFS sell snakeheads or piranha in most warmer states?? hmmm... they're everywhere here.. I think I heard the mississippi was invaded by snakeheads.
    Thar she blows!!!

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I read a bit more about it and i felt it was my responsibility to euthanize the fish. I feel bad about it, but not as bad as i would feel if it took over my local waters, and destroyed the local ecosystem, which it would do given the chance. I also sent an email to my local fish and game warden and froze the corpse in case it is needed for positive ID. I really hope i do not have to do this again, but chances are if i caught a juvenile locally, there is not just one, and probably some adults also.
    Last edited by lobsternoob; 01-14-2009 at 08:11 AM.

Awards Showcase

Thanks and your first gift!! - The Red Severum Eggs woo hoo!!! - Gayle My new buddy.  LOL - Lady Hobbs because you're always there to help! - gourami*girl A beer for my fellow canuck! - NickFish 
    For being a pic hound!!! - Alfcea thankyou for all your help - sueshewoman A round of gifts for my friends at ac! - Wild Turkey to a very good buddy,happy thanksgiving - angelcakes Congrats on MOTM - Lady Hobbs 
    For being on the ball and having the forum at heart. - Brookfish Thanks for the gift! Now heres one for you ! - CephalopodLover congrats on MOTM - angelcakes same to you - mrs fishpatrick thanks for the help - LORENZO 
    merry christmas - cocoa_pleco sorry for your loss - lovleeko Seasons Greetings! - Brookfish Joyeux Noel!  :) - KrytterKrys Happy Christmas 2008 - fins_n_fur 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Northernguy 

0 Not allowed!
    Yes Crispy It was the snakeheads but I am not sure where.It would not take long for them to do massive destruction.They kill for the fun of it and will not eat most of what they kill when they have a variety.
    Its by far the worst and most unpredictable I have ever kept.
    I listened to the kid at the lfs and I did not know any better.Even when I tried to bring them back they said no.I just left them there on the counter.
    They did get put into their tanks.
    There are a lot of fish out there that should not be sold.
    Lobsternoob its the best thing you could have done.Tropical fish have no place in our waterways.
    Ray Your Freindly Neighborhood,Fully Mod-ified, Self-appointed Pic Hound!! Need pics!!!
    Have you filled out your profile yet ?????????????
    The Fabulous AC ebook Please read>http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by lobsternoob
    I read a bit more about it and i felt it was my responsibility to euthanize the fish. I feel bad about it, but not as bad as i would feel if it took over my local waters, and destroyed the local ecosystem, which it would do given the chance. I also sent an email to my local fish and game warden and froze the corpse in case it is needed for positive ID. I really hope i do not have to do this again, but chances are if i caught a juvenile locally, there is not just one, and probably some adults also.
    You did the right thing. We hobbyists not only have a responsibility to our fish, but also to our environment. When aquarium fish are released into our waterways, they can reak havok to the system. Not only displacing and/or killing off our native species, but also potentially introducing diseases. I wish more people would act as responsible as you did in this situation.

Liters to Gallons conversion calculator

"Keeping fish for any period of time doesn't make you experienced if you're doing it wrong. What does, is acknowledging those mistakes and learning from them." ~Aeonflame
    "
    your argument is invalid." ~Mommy1