· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a beer to go with your name :) - Abbeys_Mom   your christmas present.  It's the 33g, it's folded :) - Abbeys_Mom   Merry X-mas - NorthernBoy   Singing to you.  Can you hear me? - hobbs   In memory of your friend, and a little love for you on that loss - kimmers318   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - crackatinny   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - crackatinny   AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - crackatinny   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - crackatinny   

Default Male & Female Betta's in same tank

0 Not allowed!
    I can't seem to find a straight answer to this.

My wife wants to get a Betta, (na not a betta bloke, at least not at this stage LOL) a betta fish, we will be using a 5gal tank, can we put a female and a male in the same tank?.

Also what about small balloon mollies or platties, with a male betta?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - Abbeys_Mom   Please accept this as a token of my appreciation - crackatinny   Merry X-mas - NorthernBoy   For being a great poster from Hobbs - hobbs   thank you so much!!!  you're awesome!  here's some champagne!  i know, you can't drink it!!  lololol - jeffs99dime   
    Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - Abbeys_Mom   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Abbeys_Mom   Childhood Cancer - Abbeys_Mom   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Abbeys_Mom   

0 Not allowed!
    Platies and mollies are find with bettas (most of the time). I would not keep a male and female betta together in a tank that small. You can keep male and female bettas together, but you need a 1-3 ratio of one male to 3 three females and a large tank (IMO 20-30g's min) so they have space enough to get away from each other.
    Greatest Guitar Forum Ever
    www.thestringnetwork.com

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I've read on several different websites and forums, both general and betta specific/breeders, not to mix a male and female bettas unless you plan on breeding them. Most of them cited due to the aggressiveness of the species, both males and females, towards each other; the females can be as aggressive and territorial as the males. I mentioned in a couple other posts about my bad experience trying to have 3 female bettas in a 10 gal....alot of torn fins. One poster on another forum wrote about how he did the same thing you want to do, 3 females and a male, and when he woke up the next morning, his male was cowering in a corner, missing most of his fins, with the 3 females stalking him.

If you do, make sure you keep a close eye on them for the next several days. My 3 females appeared fine for the first couple of days, gill flaring, circling, chasing, but no real fin nipping. The real fighting didn't happen until the 4th day and continued for another 2.

Good luck. Hope you have better luck than I did.
    Kevin

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a beer to go with your name :) - Abbeys_Mom   your christmas present.  It's the 33g, it's folded :) - Abbeys_Mom   Merry X-mas - NorthernBoy   Singing to you.  Can you hear me? - hobbs   In memory of your friend, and a little love for you on that loss - kimmers318   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - crackatinny   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - crackatinny   AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - crackatinny   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - crackatinny   

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the tip's, it was only going to be 1 of each, I knew 2 males would not work, but most of what I had read elsewhere about the 1 male 1 female combo was fairly contradictary, so I thought I'd ask the best.

For now the main ones I want to put in are 2 small mollies (both under an inch, they are getting a flogging off my other mollies), so i think i'll give them a go with the male betta, and keep an eye on them.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I would really advise against it.
    Even breeders occasionally lose their pride stock to breeding agression, they are dangerous fish towards each other.
    Comet-DM 10-21-06|Black Hole-VTM 11-7-06|Nebula DM-1-18-07|Pices DTCT

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Cheers - Cliff   Merry Christmas! - Plecos   Happy Holidays. - gadget228   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Rue   Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - Rue   

0 Not allowed!
    I recently added 1 male and 3 female bettas to my community tank...

...I also put in a hornwort and let it float...the females mostly hang around the hornwort, but do spend a lot of time cruising the bottom of the tank...

...so far so good...no signs of aggression...
    55 g Goldfish Tank - 3 Fancies, 2 Comets
    25 g Tropical Tank - Celestial Pearl Danio/Mixed