· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Baby Oscar Seems Scared

0 Not allowed!
    I just got an Albino Oscar today from "Petsmart."

The girl was an idiot. She not only mixed the water the fish was in, but also shook him around, pretty much doing every "nono" in the book.

So he's been home now. I put some extra plants in the tank, and he's been utilizing them for hiding places. He won't come to the surface for food. He was absolutely afraid with the overhead light on, so I turned all the surrounding lights off and he's come out of hiding and has since been swimming around a bit, but he still seems really skittish.

I've been leaving him alone and staying away from the tank for the most part. I added some Stress Coat just in case.

Am I doing him right or is there additionally something else I could do to make him feel "more at home."

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I've never owned an Oscar before but I know some fish are like that once they get stressed and rattled around a little bit. Make sure you keep the water in the best condition possible and just let him get situated and he'll become himself again. Just a little shaken up from the girl at Petsmart.
    Empty 125g sitting in my shed
    55g Freshwater Tropical Community
    29g Convict Fry Growout Tank
    10g Freshwater Planted Tropical Community
    5g Freshwater Planted Dirt
    2.5g Ghost shrimp tank

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino 

0 Not allowed!
    Yup.

Netting/bagging/transporting/acclimation are stressful to a fish, and oscars in particular have been known to sulk when changes are made to their environment. Give it some time.

What size tank? Any tankmates?
    300 gallon mega tank: build in progress
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp
    70 gallon growout tank: clown loaches, sailfin pleco
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish
    29 gallon frog tank: 1 bullfrog
    10 gallon and 5.5 gallon betta tanks: 1 male betta each, sometimes snails

0 Not allowed!
    Scared of his new surroundings, is all. You should always put new fish in the tank and shut the lights off and not feed the first night.

I hope this is a 75 gallon because it's what these fish require in a very short time. And cycled. They also will tear up plants.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Okay thank you! It is a 60 gallon, but he's by himself save for one Pleco.

He's doing much better today. Came to the surface and ate.

And to address "Is the tank Cycled?"
    Yes, it's was Cycled for two weeks with Bacteria (no fish) and then Cycled with the Pleco. All the decorations and biowheels were from a previous cycled use, so it still had all the bacteria. Since I put him in Yesterday, the tank had been Cycling for about 4 weeks.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    My Tank: 36"(L) x 18"(D) x 24"(H) 67.3g US
    1 Albino Tiger Oscar (Astronotus Ocellatus)
    1 Albino Bristlenose Pleco (Ancistrus cf. Cirrhosus)
    My Estimated Stock Level is 81%
    Last edited by LRRoberts0122; 09-18-2011 at 05:09 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    A bit of a problem due to the length of that tank. That leaves only 2 ft of swimming space once that bad boy reaches maturity. Maybe down the road you can get a long tank.

Glad he's out and about and eating well.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by LRRoberts0122
    My Tank: 36"(L) x 18"(D) x 24"(H) 67.3g US
    1 Albino Tiger Oscar (Astronotus Ocellatus)
    1 Albino Bristlenose Pleco (Ancistrus cf. Cirrhosus)
    My Estimated Stock Level is 81%
    Quote Originally Posted by LRRoberts0122
    Okay thank you! It is a 60 gallon, but he's by himself save for one Pleco.

He's doing much better today. Came to the surface and ate.

And to address "Is the tank Cycled?"
    Yes, it's was Cycled for two weeks with Bacteria (no fish) and then Cycled with the Pleco. All the decorations and biowheels were from a previous cycled use, so it still had all the bacteria. Since I put him in Yesterday, the tank had been Cycling for about 4 weeks.
    seems like an ok size if thats all your going to keep in there...give it some time...you would be rattled too if someone picked you up and dropped u at a new house

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I think that tank will be fine for just those two fish. Fish forum people like us can get a little dramatic. "You mean your tank isnt the size of the entire Amazon River! Those neons are gonna get cramped!"