· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the awards! - Northernguy   Active! - Wild Turkey   Really nice Syno pic! - Brookfish   Merry Christmas ! - Northernguy   Have a great Christmas! - Demi ^_^   

0 Not allowed!
    Don't use the ph balancer...Most of these additives cause ph instability, as it will alter the ph for a little while, and then it goes back to whatever it was. What do you have in the tank, in regards to decor and substrate? What is the ph of the tap water? You can run the new filter alongside the old one, but do not remove the old one yet. You will lose any beneficial bacteria that you have, if you do. The catfish should not be at the surface(what type is he, BTW)...maybe stress from the water change, especially if the ph altered with the new water. Does he have a hiding place? What test kit did Mike buy? Sorry, so many questions, but the info is needed...

Try not to panic...Everyone who starts this hobby makes mistakes, and it takes awhile and some experience before you get confident. It really won't seem so bad when you get the tank stable...

The fact that you have Nitrates at all is a good sign...the tank may be almost cycled...
    Last edited by Sharon; 01-02-2009 at 08:46 PM.
    Sharon

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks and your first gift!! - The Red Severum   Eggs woo hoo!!! - Gayle   My new buddy.  LOL - Lady Hobbs   because you're always there to help! - gourami*girl   A beer for my fellow canuck! - NickFish   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    What is your ammonia testing at?
    If your fish are having any trouble breathing and they are showing signs of pink gills it could be ammonia!
    Ray Your Freindly Neighborhood,Fully Mod-ified, Self-appointed Pic Hound!! Need pics!!!
    Have you filled out your profile yet ?????????????
    The Fabulous AC ebook Please read>http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here is a lucky Blue Ram - Northernguy   A paci for the babies!  Congrats, Grandma! - Ellen4God   Your first fry!  lol - Northernguy   Hang in there - William   Let's talk about SEX baby  LOL  Ignore the kids on here that get annoyed at everything xxx - Fishalicious   
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Lynn Conroy   

Default NG & Sharon

0 Not allowed!
    I'm getting tired...literally.
    I turned the light off in the tank so as not to stress the catfish who is still swimming around the top.
    The tank consists of a medium sized gravel on the bottom (I know they like soft), plastic greenery, a rock (came from the pet store), a glass goldfish bowl (I did an aquarium within an aquarium), heater, filter and bubble wall thing. He hides in the corner behind the greenery or between greenery and the rock.
    Mike didn't buy a new test kit. All Petco had were their own brand 5-Way Test Strips for salt or fresh water aquariums or ponds. It tests Alkalinity, pH, Nitrite, Nitrate, Hardness.
    Is there something special for amonia? The API Stress Coat I added says it removes chlorine, chloramines and ammonia in tap water. I just tested our tap water pH. It's 7.0
    The other thing I added was CYCLE by Nutrafin. It says, "CYCLE releases massive amounts of beneficial bacteria into the aquarium. Each dose works to reduce dangerous ammonia and nitrite levels in the aquarium. Reduces fish loss."
    I ran off the first of NG's suggestions "Tropical Fish A Beginners Guide." Will be my evening reading. I hope I have no more surprises tomorrow morning.
    I know I'm a beginner and will make mistakes BUT I don't want to be the cause of death. I myself am on a Chemo drug after going through breast cancer surgery, radiation and chemo. I get tired very easily and don't want to overlook anything I can do to save these fish. Thanks for your support and help. I'm still stressed but not as much knowing you guys are out there.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks and your first gift!! - The Red Severum   Eggs woo hoo!!! - Gayle   My new buddy.  LOL - Lady Hobbs   because you're always there to help! - gourami*girl   A beer for my fellow canuck! - NickFish   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    Take it easy and don't be shy about asking questions no matter how odd you think they are.There is no need to be stressed.
    The test kit is neccesary if you want to know whats going on in your tank.
    When cycling with fish a lot of water changes will be needed to get your fish through it alive.
    I am very sorry to hear about your cancer and I do hope you are clear of it now.
    Ray Your Freindly Neighborhood,Fully Mod-ified, Self-appointed Pic Hound!! Need pics!!!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the awards! - Northernguy   Active! - Wild Turkey   Really nice Syno pic! - Brookfish   Merry Christmas ! - Northernguy   Have a great Christmas! - Demi ^_^   

0 Not allowed!
    Lynn...look at it this way. You do your best, and your best at the time is good enough. The test strips are not terribly accurate and you can't get another kit now so...just do daily water changes of 25%...more if the fish don't look right. I think we can determine that your tank is probably still cycling, or at least not stable, so water changes are the way to go. Take it easy, relax, and rest when you need to. If you lose a fish, chaulk it up to a learning experience. We've all been there, and we've probably all lost fish through mistakes. Jeez, I syphoned up a Congo Tetra a while back, and tore his tail in half. We'll be here when you need to "panic" because we've all done that too...
    Sharon

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here is a lucky Blue Ram - Northernguy   A paci for the babies!  Congrats, Grandma! - Ellen4God   Your first fry!  lol - Northernguy   Hang in there - William   Let's talk about SEX baby  LOL  Ignore the kids on here that get annoyed at everything xxx - Fishalicious   
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Lynn Conroy   

Default To my pal NG

0 Not allowed!
    clear so far... I had reconstruction surgery Sept. 17th...more to come as soon as doctor sets it up. Doing good but I get EXTREMELY tired...like now. I've been "fishin'" all day. Water added to Oscar, cleaning 3 Betta's and now upset with the multi fish tank.
    So what is the ammonia test kit to get?
    (I think my husband thought this would be a fun diversion to take my mind off things...what a job!)
    I'm reading your suggested book...only on page 15 so far...
    I know things need to be established or tried out but it seems the fish are so fragile, they may not last as long as it takes to try to solve problems. That's what I feel badly about. I guess, from reading the Fish Bible, I should have researched all this, set up the tank, etc. before I brought Thomas home and then all the others. Thank God Thomas is doing well! Knock on wood. NO problems. He's relaxing to watch. I love petting him, too...when he lets me.
    Anyway NG thanks again. I can't keep saying it enough! By the way, what's all this award stuff?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    You can check out all the awards if you go to the main forum page and click on the awards section.
    You recieve them by doing all kinds of things like winning competitions, starting threads, simply posting, and more.
    This site rocks and there is always something to do.
    It will help take your mind off things.
    There is even a games section and chat lounge.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

here you go - KingFisher   here is one :) - The Red Severum   thank you - Lady Hobbs   BECAUSE YOUR COOL - waterhog   Merry Christmas - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    You need to cycle a tank before you put fish in it.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    Hello Lynn.....What you are going thru now with your fish tanks is what thousands before you has done and thousands more after you will do. And that's get a tank and put fish in it and not know there is such a thing as the nitrogen cycle....which is the process of growing the bacteria needed so you do not have those toxic levels.

It is really the only demanding and patience stretching period you will go thru with fishkeeping. Once you understand how it works, you will be good-to-go and will then be able to understand and enjoy your new hobby. For now, you will have to be doing daily testing of your water and keep up with water changes if those toxins get too high in order to keep your fish alive.

Make sure you always use dechlorinated water as water from the tap will kill that bacteria and the fish, as well. And feed very sparingly for now until your tank has cycled.

I would not get catfish for a fish tank until the tank has been set up for awhile myself. They live off algae and with a new tank, there is no algae for them to eat for awhile.

But do not get discouraged or stressed out over this hobby already as it's awesome having fish tanks and you'll be just fine once you get the drift of how it works. Previous advice to get the test kit was right on and much needed.

Good luck and hang in there.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Healing vibes.  Read and rest your fingers! - RiversGirl   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! (USA) - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynn Conroy
    Also, will pick up a test kit for water quality, my husband was using the strips from our hot tub (hahahaha). Shouldn't they be the same though?
    The Liquid tests kits are much better because they don't give errors like the normal test strips. Also the liquid test kits last much longer.

This all seems so "involved." I know Sharon said its not complicated but seems so to me.
    It can be very easy. It just depends on a few points.

When I start a new tank like my new 100 gallon tank, I will first of start with buying the tank. Then I will get a filter. Followed by some more equipment like Heaters lighting and aerator. Once that is done I will move on to the gavel, rocks logs. Then this can branch of into many new facets' with the gravel. Because you can get gravel which has ferts in it. So that you can grow plants nicely. IMO and IME I find that just using liquid ferts and some peat is just a good as these gavel base fertilized mixtures like JBL Aqua Basis plus. Once this is done you then move on to filling your tank up with water. Once that is done then you look at planting it. Once the tank is full of water and plants and wood gravel rocks things like that, you start to test your water with Liquid testing kits, to keep a eye on the cycling. Then you cycle it for 3-4 weeks depending. Then you can start to slowly add fish. The fish is really the very last thing you do to your tank. That way you don't get loss. Because the tanks water has matured, and can start to handle the boi dump that fish will create, because the bacteria in the water has grown into large colonies to be able to keep up with toxic waste in the water. Just like in the wild.

I don't know if you know this but Oscars get quite large 18 inches + and need tanks of around 100 gallon when they are fully grown, to be able to live happily. The same goes for the Pleco which can reach up to 2 ft in length. Just IMO and IME they need tanks about 150 gallons really. A better choice of fish to eat the algae would be a Bristle Nose. They stay small at around 5 inches. And are very nice fish to keep.

I guess I'm a perfectionist and don't want any little creature to suffer at my hands due to my ignorance. I WILL get this down eventually!!!!!!!
    That makes two of us. I am a real perfectionist with my tank. But with proper instruction practice and time everything comes right.

So welcome the world of fish keeping. With time it gets easier and much better.

mac