· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Question I found an Abandoned betta, now what??

0 Not allowed!
    I found a crowntail betta fish in a little bowl outside my dorm building, near a dumpster, in filthy water, half frozen. Coincidentally enough, I had been (attempting) to cycle a ten gallon tank, for about a week, so I scooped him up, put him in a baggie, and let him float in the water in my tank until he perked up, which he did, considerably.

I fell in love with him, named him Archimedes (Archie for short =3 ) and after 24 hours of slowly acclimating him to the water in my tank, I let him loose. He seems to love his new home and is happily frolicking.

Now my dilemma: I have never had a fish or a fishtank before, not even a childhood goldfish in a bowl torture setup. He is in a ten gallon (long) aquarium, alone. It has a TopFin 10 filter (it hangs on the side and has a carbon packet). I hope this is ok, and not too weak, or too strong for a betta. There is a long airbubble pump thing along the bottom of the back, and a heater rated for a 10-15 gal. tank. It also is decorated with plastic plants in the corner, and two little caves, which he likes to rest in.
    I fed him a tiny pinch of freeze dried bloodworms which he devoured (he is so skinny ).
    I checked the water parameters with a kit I picked up at a LFS, and since the tank had only been running for a week with no media, and no fish, so ammonia, nitrates, and nitrites were all zero. The water here is kind of hard, the pH was 8.0, and I added the recommended dose of lowerer, but it did nothing, so I let it be. The temperature stays at a constant 80 degrees, whether the heater is on or not (hopefully this is ok).

Any advice on how not to kill him would be appreciated. I have grown to adore him in the past 24 hours. Also, I dont really plan on adding anything else to the tank, it'll be just for him (unless I should). Thank you!

Pics of the current setup:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by kittenfish; 01-29-2007 at 10:22 AM.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I will never understand how someone could be so cruel as to just dump a fish like that. The poor thing can thank his lucky stars you came along and saved him from freezing to death. He will love your tank (it's lovely btw). Keep feeding him tiny amounts only, no matter how hungry (or starved) he looks as he won't be able to digest anything more than a very small amount (he has probably not been fed in some while). Once he has filled back out be sure not to overfeed and stick to a small amount daily, his stomach is only tiny, even when not starved. Try to feed him a varied diet and either don't feed one day a week or give him a tiny bit of pea as it will help to keep his digestive tract clear from blockages. 80 degrees is perfect for him temp wise and will no doubt be greatly appreciated after nearly freezing. If you had no fish in your tank to produce ammonia (or you haven't been adding ammonia and fishless cycling) it is not cycled yet. To cycle a tank ammonia must be present. It will take about a month to cycle fully. First ammonia levels will rise, then drop as nitrite levels rise. During this time you will need to test your ammonia and nitrite levels (you will need test kits) and do small partial water changes to stop the levels getting to high and adversely affecting your fish (don't disturb the gravel by vacuuming it while cycling though as it takes longer to cycle). As he is already in a weakened state I would recommend keeping a very close watch on the levels to know when to do a small water change and avoid these toxins stressing him too much. Nitrite will drop as nitrate levels are established (this is the final stage of cycling). At this point there should be no measurable levels of ammonia or nitrites, only nitrates. Nitrates are removed and kept at safe levels by performing regular partial water changes. Read up on cycling in the free ebook here on the forum and if you have any questions just ask. Good luck with your newly rescued friend. You have done a very kind and wonderful thing giving that fish a second chance for a better life

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    That Betta must think he died and went to heaven. I hope it makes it altho he was probably pretty chilled outside.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

this is what you can do with points - hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    You are a very kind person! As already said, keep a good watch on the water. It's going to take longer for the cycling, because of the water changes, but he's gonna need them....but hang in there. Hope everything works out.
    The truth is out there
    -------------------------
    55 g
    3 Angel
    3 Albino Corie
    1 Balloon molly
    1 pleco
    2 Flamingo gourami

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

you need some gifts - Lady Hobbs   coffee, tea or me? - Lady Hobbs   now it looks better here - Lady Hobbs   ok, I quit - Lady Hobbs   Cogratulations on 1st lottery win! - Lady Hobbs   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - sergo   

0 Not allowed!
    do research and heed the stated advice and the fish will be fine. don't hestitate to ask questions and above all... welcome to a.c. :)
    55 gal lightly planted mbuna

"some people are like slinkies, they're not really good for anything but they can bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~   Merry Christmas - Cliff   Merry Christmas my friend! - Taurus   Merry Christmas - mommy1   Happy New Year! - Slaphppy7   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - jeffs99dime   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jeffs99dime   

0 Not allowed!
    that's horrible! good on ya' for taking the betta in!
    welcome to a.c.
    Last edited by jeffs99dime; 01-29-2007 at 02:12 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - Abbeys_Mom   Please accept this as a token of my appreciation - crackatinny   Merry X-mas - NorthernBoy   For being a great poster from Hobbs - hobbs   thank you so much!!!  you're awesome!  here's some champagne!  i know, you can't drink it!!  lololol - jeffs99dime   
    Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - Abbeys_Mom   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Abbeys_Mom   Childhood Cancer - Abbeys_Mom   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Abbeys_Mom   

0 Not allowed!
    We ended up with a squirrel that way. Some College kid was feeding it from the time it was a baby and then left school. My sister was visiting the College and the squirrel ran up her leg and got into the pocket of her coat.

I hope your new friend makes it. Keep us posted on how Archie is doing :)
    Greatest Guitar Forum Ever
    www.thestringnetwork.com

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

god im hungry - cocoa_pleco   You make me laugh! - Drumachine09   And lots of pizza too! lol - Chrona   wish i had some of this to drink right now - cocoa_pleco   DAAAAAM, this drink looks good - cocoa_pleco   
    Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - cocoa_pleco   Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - cocoa_pleco   Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - cocoa_pleco   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - cocoa_pleco   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - cocoa_pleco   

0 Not allowed!
    NICE TANK.

Once, my buddy found a FULLGROWN common pleco in a little bag outside his apartment. Hes in his own 75g tank now.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - RichBowyer   For the donation...thanks! - A340   Merry Christmas :) - squirt_12   Merry Christmas! - SkarloeysMom   Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!! - 2manyfish   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Drumachine09   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Drumachine09   Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - Drumachine09   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Drumachine09   Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - Drumachine09   

0 Not allowed!
    Great save on the crowntail!
    Money can't buy happiness, but it sure can pay the rent.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09   Just to thank you for the points! - Sarahmom   

0 Not allowed!
    Good story and a very pretty fish. Welcome to the forum.
    Some innocents 'scape not the thunderbolt