· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default New 75 Gallon set up

0 Not allowed!
    Hello, everyone.

Did some searching and couldn't find exactly what I was looking for, so I thought I'd be the guy who re-hashes the most common thread (what to put in my tank?).

To start, I have a 75 gallon tank with a very neat 3D background (Lake Tanganyaki recreation) with an XP3 canister filter with in-line heater. Standard 4 foot bulb, and sand. Tank has been running about a week now, and I'm itchin' to get some fish in.

About 10 years ago, I had 3 Frontosas in a 55gal tank, and they were fine. Now all I read is that 120gal is MINIMUN for fronts. That's fine and all, but now I don't know what to get. Don't really care for the small Malawi fish, but all suggestions welcome. Also, I'm planning on having a pleco or two and possibly a few loaches (BTW, anybody have any luck with Khuli loaches?).

Thanks in advance.

BC

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill   Happy New year - Celtic Fins   May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins   2001 posts! - Northernguy   For your helpful fry advice - Cliff   

0 Not allowed!
    Kuhli loaches don't belong in a Tang tank; completely wrong biotope for their species. They prefer plenty of low-growing plants for cover. A BN pleco should be fine in most cases. Syno's are better suited to Tang or Malawi tanks than loaches in any case.
    You may have had 3 front's in a 55, but they obviously weren't mature fish.
    Are you thinking a pair of tret's, or a mixed community for variety?

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the input. Wasn't sure about the loaches. Too bad, cuz they look real neat. Is it the same for clown loaches as well, because in the past I've had luck with some in an Oscar tank?

Not sure what you mean by "tret's." Since I'm leaning against the fronts (sadly), I was thinking something along the lines of a Calvus or two and an A.Compressiceps pair. I've heard the Blue Dolphin out of Malawi pairs well with these two Tang's, any thoughts on that?

Also, by a BN pleco, are you referring to a bristle nose?

Thanks.

BC

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks and your first gift!! - The Red Severum   Eggs woo hoo!!! - Gayle   My new buddy.  LOL - Lady Hobbs   because you're always there to help! - gourami*girl   A beer for my fellow canuck! - NickFish   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    Yes he is talking about a bristle nose.
    Ray Your Freindly Neighborhood,Fully Mod-ified, Self-appointed Pic Hound!! Need pics!!!
    Have you filled out your profile yet ?????????????
    The Fabulous AC ebook Please read>http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Will the bristle nose pleco do alright with the higher pH levels in the cichlid tank? Or am I better of with a synodontis?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For showing the beauty of fish perfectly x - Fishalicious   Congratulations on your photo award! - fins_n_fur   very helpful member - Lady Hobbs   thanks for all the help - Cassandra   I didn't give you a gift yet?! Well here you go. - Tolley   
    Autism - Brookfish   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Brookfish   

0 Not allowed!
    I have kept both synos and BN's in malawi and tang setup's
    so you should be fine with either, but if I were to choose
    between them I would say syno.
    Mike!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill   Happy New year - Celtic Fins   May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins   2001 posts! - Northernguy   For your helpful fry advice - Cliff   

0 Not allowed!
    BN's are adaptable to the higher pH, one would keep the tank spotlessly clear of algae. Clown loaches are social fish, best kept in groups, and aside from the water chemistry they will outgrow a 75 gallon tank if properly cared for (If they live long enough.)
    If you want a single Syno, S. angelicus or eupterus are commonly available, mid-size fish (~6") that do well on their own. Otherwise, a group of S. petricola, lucipinnis or multipunctatus would be a good choice. All 3 are social fish, best kept in groups to make them more active/visible.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

for a fellow front lover - sailor   All the saltwater help! - squirt_12   Thanks! - squirt_12   For the million fish man - Lady Hobbs   Excellent puffer advice. - Brookfish   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by clancyb424
    ....Not sure what you mean by "tret's." Since I'm leaning against the fronts (sadly), I was thinking something along the lines of a Calvus or two and an A.Compressiceps pair. I've heard the Blue Dolphin out of Malawi pairs well with these two Tang's, any thoughts on that?
    'Trets'= Neolamprologus tretocephalus.

You may want to select a. calvus or a. compressiceps to eliminate the possibility of the species cross-breeding.

A 75gal may be a little on the small size for the active swimming cyrtocara moorii ('malawi blue dolphin'). Not sure on their compatibility with whatever altolamprologus species you end up getting.
    African cichlid and saltwater aquariums

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    My own experience with mixing Tang's with Malawi cichlids is limited to a single Julie who shares a 55 with some Hap's, a group of S. multi's, and a BN pleco. I do have a pair of SA chanchito's sharing a tank with pairs of brevis and spiney eels, but chanchito's are pretty mellow fish unless they're spawning. Mixing fish from different geographic areas (successfully) depends more on the fish themselves than where they originated from.
    Aside from water chemistry requirements/adaptability, it's also a matter of tank size and territorial considerations. Even territory size is somewhat variable depending on whether there are females in the tank (not necessarily of the same species, just closely related enough to attract a male's interest.)
    Check out cichlid-forum.com for more info regarding the species you have in mind, particularly regarding mixing them.