· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. Default Project Fish Tank

0 Not allowed!
    My resolution for 09 is to get a 55g up and running. I'd really like to spend time and do this one right as I'm always unhappy with my 29g. I am constantly inspired by the pictures of tank set up on this site and think I have a good idea in mind.

There are the 55g kits at stores like Wal-Mart that seem like a good deal, but I really want to invest in this tank and get the best for it. I'm curious if anyone thinks it would be best to just get the kit or buy as I go. I know in the long run it's going to be more expensive to buy as I go, but I really do want to get high quality equipment in my tank and I do run into sales alot for the good stuff at PetCo every now and then.

I'm going to buy the actual tank first, just get it out of the way. I'm debating on if I should buy one new or buy a used one at my LFS. What are your thoughts on this? Save a few bucks and clean one or buy new and spend more but not have to clean?

I'm going to journalize my process here and hope for lots of advice. In theory, I'd like to get this up and running w/fish by my birthday in April. I think I could have all my equipment bought and set up by then.

So thoughts and concerns are welcome!

0 Not allowed!
    Buy as you go. The equipment in those kits are not worth it. www.craigslist.com or www.kijiji.com Look in your area. There always seem to be deals for tanks and equipment on those sites.
    Stock the tank you have, not the tank you plan to have. Always have and use patience.
    - 29g FW - Community
    - 55g SW - Blue Watchman Goby, Royal Gramma, 6-Line Wrasse, 2 Ocellaris Clownfish, and various corals and inverts
    For those of you who want a SW tank and never have had one before or just starting out, read this blog entry from my blog on AC, it will give you a place to start.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Oddly enough I've posted wanted ads for tanks on craigslist and never gotten a response.

What do you think about the used tank from the LFS?

0 Not allowed!
    Have you looked in the General For Sale section? I bought a used 115 gallon from an LFS. Haven't cleaned it up or checked for leaks yet. I would get a used tank, no problem. Just chance you will have to invest in some silicone to fix a leak.
    Stock the tank you have, not the tank you plan to have. Always have and use patience.
    - 29g FW - Community
    - 55g SW - Blue Watchman Goby, Royal Gramma, 6-Line Wrasse, 2 Ocellaris Clownfish, and various corals and inverts
    For those of you who want a SW tank and never have had one before or just starting out, read this blog entry from my blog on AC, it will give you a place to start.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I found a used 55 gallon today at my local LFS, it comes with a nice black stand and what appears to be a mounted light fixture, I've seen them before on other tanks, not sure how I feel about that, what are the pros and cons there? The only major concern I have is there not being a hood on the tank and my cat does tend to get curious about the fish from time to time.

They wanted 149.00 for it. Is that too much or a good deal? The tank looks great, will need a little light cleaning, but otherwise in good shape.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I think I'm definatly going to go with the 55g. I have a friend who wants to buy my 29g off me so I'm going to use that money to buy a nice filter for it. I really want something good, what are some suggestions?

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well before I could get my hands on the 55g it sold so I'm back to square one. My friend still wants my 29g as soon as I'm done with it, so that helps a bit with the money issue. I should get my tax return fairly soon so I guess we're going with just buying a tank and a stand, which is going to cost more, but it's my only option right now.

I'm actually thinking about just getting the tank and working on it in my spare bedroom which has a large heavy desk where I could place the tank. In theory I could cycle it there and then have someone help me move it when it's cycled and you have to do the water change.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I managed to find a beautiful 55g tank with stand+canopy on craiglist. The lady is moving and only wants a hundred dollars for the whole thing. The only thing I'll need to buy is a new filter because hers messed up during the ice storm that we had here a few weeks ago. She ended up selling her fish to PetCo since her electricity was out and now she's moving and can't take the tank with her. She was really pleased to find that someone wanted the tank who had actually had experience with fish before and that it was going to good use.

I'm supposed to go get it in a few hours, I'm having my brother help me haul it. I'm so excited, I'll post pictures when I get it home.
    55g - 5 Blood Parrots

My 55G Journal

0 Not allowed!
    Nice. As they say, good things come to those who wait! Congrats on the new tank, i cant wait to see it.
    30gL heavily planted: south american community tank
    15g mod. planted: nano fish community tank
    6g long(custom tank) mod planted: 6 bettas w/ dividers

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm really excited about it and glad that I waited since I was pretty close to just buying a tank and doing it all myself which would have cost me no telling how much, at least this way I'm far ahead with the materials I need.
    55g - 5 Blood Parrots

My 55G Journal