· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Looks really nice! I'm actually thinking about doing up a 55 myself. I'm trying to decide if it would be best to buy the 55g kit that comes at WalMart that includes filter/heater/hood/light for 178.99$ or if I want to just buy as I go and get the best. It would be slower, but I could buy one item at a time and get what I want.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by s72450
    Looks really nice! I'm actually thinking about doing up a 55 myself. I'm trying to decide if it would be best to buy the 55g kit that comes at WalMart that includes filter/heater/hood/light for 178.99$ or if I want to just buy as I go and get the best. It would be slower, but I could buy one item at a time and get what I want.
    yea i think thats what mine was about $175 i guess its your choice, all you really need is another filter , and maybe some more powerful lights.. thanks for posting guys!

EDIT: Since there are two 24" hoods, the fixtures would take 24" bulbs right, just need to be reassured in case i buy new light thanks
    Last edited by Trigun10343; 12-28-2008 at 09:55 PM.
    In my 29 gal:
    4 serpae tetras
    1 Flame tetras
    1 Zebra Danio
    1 German Blue Ram

In my 55 gal:
    Trigun's 55g Tropical Community!
    6 Glo-lite Tetras
    4 Emerald Corys
    1 Dwarf Gourami
    4 Peppered Corys
    25 Neon Tetras

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    sorry for double post, but how about 1 dwarf gourami and 1 or 2 really small angelfish? Would they be ok with the neons, if they're small enough and the neon's are a decent size, but would they eat them as the angel fish got older? thanks again guys, and gals!
    In my 29 gal:
    4 serpae tetras
    1 Flame tetras
    1 Zebra Danio
    1 German Blue Ram

In my 55 gal:
    6 Glo-lite Tetras
    4 Emerald Corys
    1 Dwarf Gourami
    4 Peppered Corys
    25 Neon Tetras

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Alright i went shopping on Monday and got some stuff, and filled the tank. I have 20 lbs of black and another 20 lbs of white sand, i'm going to get another 10 pretty soon. I had my filter running on my other tank for 5 days, do u guys think that was enough to get it started? BTW im doing a fishless cycle with pure ammonia, what kind of levels should i keep the ammonia at???? yesterday evening was Ammonia: 1 nitrite: ...blue(the kit i got didnt come with a card) and my Nitrates: like not 0 but a little under 5. Should i just keep the ammonia at 1 or what. I WILL upload some pics today so tag along for later. Thanks for any help u can give me.
    In my 29 gal:
    4 serpae tetras
    1 Flame tetras
    1 Zebra Danio
    1 German Blue Ram

In my 55 gal:
    6 Glo-lite Tetras
    4 Emerald Corys
    1 Dwarf Gourami
    4 Peppered Corys
    25 Neon Tetras

Awards Showcase

For doing such good research!! - Rue hehe. - Tolley nascar prize - sailor Happy Birthday! - squirt_12 For rescuing feeders!  Way to go! - Rue 
    Thanks for the rep! - robnepper To the only guy to quote himself! - Mr.Prototype Thinking of Noah & your family xxx - Fishalicious For your 1 year at AC xxx - Fishalicious Not enough gifts - The Red Severum 
    you need more! - The Red Severum one more! - The Red Severum won the lottery with your donation, had to buy you a beer - mrs fishpatrick Time for another round! - northernguy A round of gifts for my friends at ac! - Wild Turkey 
    Here's one on the house, Nick. - robnepper Merry Christmas - Northernguy Thanks!! - Wild Turkey your info has been great the last couple of days - The Red Severum I appreciate your generousity! - Brookfish 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - NickFish Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - NickFish Childhood Cancer - NickFish Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - NickFish 

0 Not allowed!
    That's a nice reef you got there! As for your questions.....

That could be enough to get started, but I personally prefer a deeper substrate for planted tanks. I would personally add another 20 or 40lbs on there, but it would be easier to tell how much more you need with a pic. A deeper substrate makes planting easier. You will also need to slope your substrate. It could be as thin as 1" at the front, and as think as 6" at the back. 2"-4" is more common though.

During a fishless cycle you should try and keep ammonia around 3ppm, it cycles faster that way. However if you are planning on putting in some platns during the cycle (which I don't recommend) keep it at 1ppm.

The nitrates you have were probably already in your water out of the tap, doesn't mean anything. When you get the tank set-up try and keep nitrates between 5-10ppm, that doesn't mean you should cut back on water changes though, just add some nitrogen in the form of a liquid or dry ferilizer if it gets too low.

Most angelfish will try to eat neons, as it is their "natural prey" in the wild. In their natural habitat, fish are a rare treat, so as so as they realise they can eat them they'll go crazy over them. Its possible that if you have a big enough school the angels will lose track and only be able to pick off a couple. And it is entirely possible that your angels may ignore the neons altogether, not likely though. It depends if you want to take a gamble or not.
    Last edited by NickFish; 12-31-2008 at 06:01 PM.

6. Default New Pics!

0 Not allowed!
    Ok here's the pictures from staining it to filling up and a FTS:
    In my 29 gal:
    4 serpae tetras
    1 Flame tetras
    1 Zebra Danio
    1 German Blue Ram

In my 55 gal:
    6 Glo-lite Tetras
    4 Emerald Corys