· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default New Tank Mates, Possible Problem?

0 Not allowed!
    If anyone remembers i've been trying to find tank mates for my betta, Jim. Well while looking for a new light for my tank at the lfs, i saw these really beautiful reticulated corys. I got a couple of them to try with Jim (corys are on of the few small fish i haven't tried yet).

At first all went well, Jim just completely ignored them and they just started exploring there new enviroment and all was well in Jim land. Today though, when i went to feed the corys, Jim decided to react to them finally. He would try and eat there food, and snip at them if they came near it. I put in a second shrimp pellet and they ate that and he kinda stopped. He still will occasionally flare at them, but he now just sits around them at the bottom and stares at them.

Im hoping its just him getting used to having someone in his tank other then the lone surviving shrimp. I hope.

If push comes to shove they can go into the 20g tank, but that would be pushing it in that tank in terms of amount of fish.
    5.5 Gallon - Dragon Scale Betta - Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan Themed Tank

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to AC - Lady Hobbs   Thanks for being a nice person! ...and the fiendship! :-) - digital3   Thanks for ID'ing my Apisto - Spyder   youre always so nice! - cocoa_pleco   Merry Christmas Jess :) - MeganL3985   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Fishalicious   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Fishalicious   Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - Fishalicious   HIV/AIDS - Fishalicious   

0 Not allowed!
    With betta's you just never ever know for sure until you try it unfortunately... I had a betta that really would not tolerate anything else in the tank...he ripped the tail off a corydoras so the poor little guy couldn't swim up to get air and died...I moved the others quick he then demolished all the shrimp in the tank.

My current betta is a sweety and doesn't even blink at anything else in the tank..... he happily swims around with around 30 cherry shrimp and little cory cats.

Great that you have a back up tank ...I think if he is already flaring at them now all the time he may not stop...
    My own Fish Blog
    Small Fish for Small Tanks

'The measure of kindness is that you are kind without measure'

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the info. I guess I should've checked wikipedia. - Friendly   thank you for all your help - pinchyboy   

0 Not allowed!
    i used to have a betta and i put african dwarf frogs in with them. for about the first week he made sure that the frogs knew it was his tank not theirs. i also decided to put fancy guppies with him too, they were more aware that it's was the betta's tank not theirs. i fed the betta first, giving just a little bit of his meal and then i would feed the other fish/frogs too, if he messed with them i would put food right in front of my betta's face. eventually (after a week) he decided his territory was marked and left the frogs and guppies alone. he sometime flared at them but not during meal time.
    currently:20 gallon tank with:
    3 african dwarf frogs
    1 bristlenose pleco
    7 swordtails
    4 hengli rasbora
    1 platy

ac50filter
    aqueon quietflow 20 filter.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Its starting to worry me a bit cause hes not letting up. I don't want to have to take them back, but i think my big tank might just be getting close to full if not already there (3 kuhli loaches, 1 dwarf gourami, 1 bristlenose pleco).

Hmm...

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

I just thought you deserved a gift. - Brookfish   For Some Luck! - Northernguy   A lil fishy to brighten your day. - mollielover   Seasons Greetings, - Brookfish   Thanks! - Wild Turkey   

0 Not allowed!
    I have been through this several times. It took me a long while of bad set ups to realize that only if the betta did not live in the environment first was there not a problem. Most of my bettas will tolerate tank mates but only if they were added last. If you had a small tank to leave him for a while (long enough that he feels like his tank is no longer his but new) you will get better results. This almost never fails for me. Also rearranging the tank before you reintroduce him will be even better.
    We can be as honest as we are ignorant. If we are, when asked what is beyond the horizon of the known, we must say that we do not know.

Robert G. Ingersoll

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    See i don't have another tank i can shove him in even for a day. Its pretty cold out and i only have the two heaters.

Im thinking either the corys or going back or in the other tank. No matter what ill probably move them into the big tank tomorrow till i figure out what to do.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

I just thought you deserved a gift. - Brookfish   For Some Luck! - Northernguy   A lil fishy to brighten your day. - mollielover   Seasons Greetings, - Brookfish   Thanks! - Wild Turkey   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by JimTheBetta
    See i don't have another tank i can shove him in even for a day. Its pretty cold out and i only have the two heaters.

Im thinking either the corys or going back or in the other tank. No matter what ill probably move them into the big tank tomorrow till i figure out what to do.

Maybe you can try again when you get somewhere to put Jim for a while.
    We can be as honest as we are ignorant. If we are, when asked what is beyond the horizon of the known, we must say that we do not know.

Robert G. Ingersoll

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Healing vibes.  Read and rest your fingers! - RiversGirl   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! (USA) - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    I have a Crown Tails which never has bothered any of my Pygmy Corys or Panda Corys.

While my other Fighter male will kill anything near him.

Unfortunately it all depends on the fish to what they will do. It always helps when keeping Bettas and you want to add other fish with them to have a spare cycled tank to place them in just in case the Betta dose not like the fish in his home.

Hope all works out for you.
    mac

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Your first gift! - Northernguy   Merry Christmas! - Northernguy   Here ya go :) - Nick89   Thanks for the plants.  My CPD's thank you too! - Sir Tristen   And a pretty plant for you too! - Sir Tristen   

0 Not allowed!
    I had this exact same problem! My betta flared at my cories and would not leave them alone after he figured out they had food. I would even feed them at the same time and he would still go after them. After he nipped the fin of pip, he was put into his own tank. Come to find out later, my roommate had this same problem, only her cories were chased to the point where they got sick and died. It made me sad that they didn't get along at feeding time because when the cories were shuffling around after dinner time he would just hang out with them and mimic their behavior, it was pretty cute.
    30gL heavily planted: south american community tank
    15g mod. planted: nano fish community tank
    6g long(custom tank) mod planted: 6 bettas w/ dividers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Healing vibes.  Read and rest your fingers! - RiversGirl   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! (USA) - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    I use to have a very aggressive Betta.

He use to chase the Rainbow fish around the tank. And he would tire them out. Once he came up to one he would rip it apart very fast.

He was one nice Betta but just very aggressive. He died not long ago. He was one very nice looking Betta though.

mac