· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Cool Few newbie questions

0 Not allowed!
    i just got a 6g eclipse tank from my lfs that was moving to another city so i got the whole SW setup with a couple decorations, substrate, a clump of chaetomorpha algae, and a mantis shrimp

well ive did alot of research in the recent months about SW tanks but mostly for reef tanks not a FOWLR or in this case IOWLR

i picked up some live rock like 4-5lbs(mostly large pieces of rubble) and was wondering if this would be enough or if i should add some more

another question these guys like eating snails, crabs, and live fish so i was wondering if i should acclimate the snails and crabs that will become food or if itll be fine to just place them in the tank

and last question if i decide to feed him a live fish on a rare occasion would it be best to feed him a salt water fish or would a freshie work just fine and also should i acclimate the salt water fish that will become a meal

thanks all for reading

0 Not allowed!
    That is way too small of a tank for a mantis shrimp, IMO. Do not feed this guy SW fish. SW fish are expensive, hard to come by, and are mostly wild caught. No reason to deplete the oceans limited supply of fish.
    Stock the tank you have, not the tank you plan to have. Always have and use patience.
    - 29g FW - Community
    - 55g SW - Blue Watchman Goby, Royal Gramma, 6-Line Wrasse, 2 Ocellaris Clownfish, and various corals and inverts
    For those of you who want a SW tank and never have had one before or just starting out, read this blog entry from my blog on AC, it will give you a place to start.

3. Cool

0 Not allowed!
    yea i know the tank is small for a full grown mantis but this guy is still pretty small around 4-5in and i plan to upgrade to a larger tank once he outgrows this one

and i was only gonna feed him live fish once in a blue moon as a treat

0 Not allowed!
    Breed your own feeder guppies or feeder goldfish for best nutritional value. Just don't feed SW fish on purpose to the mantis shrimp.
    Stock the tank you have, not the tank you plan to have. Always have and use patience.
    - 29g FW - Community
    - 55g SW - Blue Watchman Goby, Royal Gramma, 6-Line Wrasse, 2 Ocellaris Clownfish, and various corals and inverts
    For those of you who want a SW tank and never have had one before or just starting out, read this blog entry from my blog on AC, it will give you a place to start.

5. Cool

0 Not allowed!
    ok cool i thought i had read somewhere that freshwater fish werent healthy for saltwater fish but if its safe i may do that

Awards Showcase

god im hungry - cocoa_pleco You make me laugh! - Drumachine09 And lots of pizza too! lol - Chrona wish i had some of this to drink right now - cocoa_pleco DAAAAAM, this drink looks good - cocoa_pleco 
    There. Thats better. - Drumachine09 maybe one day we can enjoy one of these - sergo Congrats you recived a RAK gift enjoy! - DemonShark RAK - DemonShark RAK - DemonShark 
    Cheers! - Nick_Pavlovski Since Wendy's is only open 4 hours! - aliz340 For Your Help And Friendship - MeganL3985 Hope you a good time in Germany - alizee340 Good to have you back around the forum! - Nick_Pavlovski 
    Thanks....you could use some Luck with your fish too! - **AquaQueen** I'm baking today and figured I'd share...Thanks for helping whne it's needed! - **AquaQueen** Back at you, CP! - Dave66 You send me fruit I send you pizza!! LOL!! - 2manyfish a fish for the new 5.5g salt! lol - cocoa_pleco 
    Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - cocoa_pleco Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - cocoa_pleco Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - cocoa_pleco Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - cocoa_pleco World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - cocoa_pleco 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - cocoa_pleco Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - cocoa_pleco Childhood Cancer - cocoa_pleco Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - cocoa_pleco 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustang Boy
    ok cool i thought i had read somewhere that freshwater fish werent healthy for saltwater fish but if its safe i may do that
    personally i wouldnt feed live fish to a mantis, all i would feed him is some frozen food, pellets if he will take them, and the odd invert like a cheap hermit crab or snail

anyways, feeder goldfish have little nutritional value

7. Cool

0 Not allowed!
    thanks for the help guys and ill get some frozen brine shrimp and see if he will eat it or not hopefully he will

8. Cool

0 Not allowed!
    since my LFS closed i got wind of another MUCH larger all SW store nearby my house and went by there today and loved it i ended up getting some ghost shrimp(asked for 10 and got 12) and some blue legged hermit crabs(asked for 3 and got 11) the guy there was REALLY knowledgeable and i know this is a good store cause he looks to be the kind of guy that would turn away business if you were to buy a fish that wouldnt be treated well in your care

i also picked up a little over a pound of cultured Bali Live rock that was very reasonably priced

and since i got home i acclimated the shrimp and crabs and as soon as the shrimp went in he went crazy i think i found his new favorite snack and he has already destroyed a good number of the crabs which i dont mind cause they are only .99 each and i was only charged for 3 but i was kinda hoping he wouldve let them be for a little while since they were pretty small
    Last edited by Mustang Boy; 12-14-2008 at 04:02 AM.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by travie
    Just don't feed SW fish on purpose to the mantis shrimp.
    I don't see why not. If you can afford it. Small fish are natural prey items for mantis shrimps in the wild

Feeding one or two small SW fish a week will hardly deplete the reef populations when you consider the vast amounts killed by habitat destruction. On the whole, the reef keeping hobby does very little to reef fish populations except in certain circumstances like the Bangaii cardinal fish and yellow tangs.......

0 Not allowed!
    Well, the first question i have for you is what kind of Mantis Shrimp is it? If it is a spearer then there's no point in trying to feed it snails, it can open them. If it is a smasher then no point in feeding it live fish, it can't catch them. If you are going to feed them live foods then you have to tailor the diet to the type of mantis you have. However, regardless of the type of strike, they can all be offered frozen foods. I'd highly recommend using a feeding spear for them though. ;)
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast