· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default Protein Skimmer?

0 Not allowed!
    I have recently setup a 55gal FO tank. I haven't added any fish yet, was planning on adding some tommorow. The tank has been running for a week now, salinity is at 1.023, temp at 79 degrees and a p.h of 8.0. I wanted to cycle the tank with 6 blue-green chromis, does this sound like a good setup or should i consider something else for the cycle? How important is it for a protein skimmer? People in stores have told me most definately need one and others have told me not to worry about it until i get into anemones and coral.
    Thanks for any adivce you might be able to give me.
    -John

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    First of all, I'd wait longer to add the fish. Also is it just FO or FOWLR? Anyways, I HIGHLY recommen a protein skimmer.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    How much longer would you recommend i wait? It's FO.
    -John

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I would wait for at least another 3 weeks or so. Also, a protein skimmer is a must for this size tank

You will also need to add at least 100lbs of Live Rock

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jpesce
    I have recently setup a 55gal FO tank. I haven't added any fish yet, was planning on adding some tommorow. The tank has been running for a week now, salinity is at 1.023, temp at 79 degrees and a p.h of 8.0. I wanted to cycle the tank with 6 blue-green chromis, does this sound like a good setup or should i consider something else for the cycle? How important is it for a protein skimmer? People in stores have told me most definately need one and others have told me not to worry about it until i get into anemones and coral.
    Thanks for any adivce you might be able to give me.
    Im new here but I can say this with full confidence.

YOU MUST GET A SKIMMER... its very very very important. Unless you plan on doing 50% water changes every week...thats expensive for salt users.

This is why: Skimming is a water treatment technology now being used for salt tanks...

The bubbles carry the DOC"s dissolved organic compounds to the top and it bubbles over into the collection cup... This is pure bad nasty waste. Called Skimmate...

Most of marine tank problems are from DOC. And the more you reduce ...the better for the tank. When you first cycle sure you dont need one durring cycle...but you will need one soon once you start stocking.

I wont advise which skimmer because its controversial subject...=) But I can say research well on the type of skimmers out there. Personally I used a Corallife Super skimmer 220 gallon rated..(ignore the ratings) Just get the biggest and best one you can afford.

I wouldn't use fish to cycle at all. It is torture to them. Do the beer Shrimp method... Buy a fresh prawn from a local store.. drop it in the tank...and sit back and drink a beer as you let it cycle.

You will go through algae bloom stages... Green...to Brown(diatoms)..then hard green...and once all established Coraline Algae will grow...over time.

Ill PM you some info...cause im jumping around on topics and not detailing enough...I can write alot on skimmers alone. We havnt even gone over water chemistry and lighting or Flow and dosing.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Why the live rock? I kind of inherited the whole setup from a friend and I'm trying to do this the right way.
    -John

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by unleashed
    I would wait for at least another 3 weeks or so. Also, a protein skimmer is a must for this size tank

You will also need to add at least 100lbs of Live Rock
    OMG 100lbs in a 55 gallon ... Not that I think you are wrong entirely. I think that would be a bit overkill Unleashed.

though having a lot of rocks is very good. The general rule of thumb is a pound per gallon. but hey 100lbs of rock would be cool but would there be room for water in that 55 .. I kid I kid =)
    Last edited by Wartorn; 12-11-2008 at 11:11 PM.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jpesce
    Why the live rock? I kind of inherited the whole setup from a friend and I'm trying to do this the right way.
    Live rock is the filter for your water ...besides skimmer. There are 2 types of bacteria in live rock. Nitrate eating and Nitrite eating in the center. I dont recall the technical scientific descriptions spelling...ill avoid butchering the words.

Its most important to have live rock in salt water tanks.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have alot of dead coral and other dried up hardened stuff that came with the setup, I'll take some pictures tommorow to show you guys what I'm working with. In case you can't tell i'm very new to this, I have been reading alot. I just wanted to get some opinions and hopefully someone could steer me in the right direction.
    -John

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Let it cycle for a while at the very least a month before you stock anything. There is no true time table because there are too many variables..

The best thing to do is use that info I sent you.

You must understand water chemistry for salt. You need a test kit that covers
    Nitrates, Nitrites, Phosphates, High Range PH, Alkalinity, Calcium.

And understand why we must test for these and why to keep some at 0 and some high.

You also should always use RO/DI water for top off water. NEVER ever use tap water. Ever.

Photo periods on lighting do not extend over 8 hours...

Deep sand beds...I dont recommend but you can go that route.. usually 2" of sand is good.

all this will be covered in that info i sent...and thensome.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast