· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Unhappy Help! My Mystery Snail is sick (I think)

0 Not allowed!
    My Black Mystery Snail, Stanley, has always been really active, motoring all over my 2 gal fish bowl he shares with my female Betta. I tell everyone he's the fastest snail in the west, but for the last few days he has been really quiet, hardly moving and when he does, he moves really slow. Also, when he is on the glass, he looks like he's shrunk.

Except for putting one of those extended-release fish tabs for Bettas in the bowl over the Thanksgiving holiday as I was out of town for 5 days,I haven't changed anything or done anything different in the bowl. I hope that didn't do it!

Please - Stanley is the coolest snail - does anyone have any ideas/suggestions as to what may be wrong with him?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a gift - Lady Hobbs   Have a beer on me - sailor   Fresh outta the Chesapeke...maybe..lol - jbeining75   happy 21st birthday yay - angelcakes   Happy birthday! - Tigerbarb   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - turkey151   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - turkey151   Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - Wild Turkey   Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Wild Turkey   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Wild Turkey   

0 Not allowed!
    Water change the meds out and see if that fixes it. Always research a med before using it in a tank with snails (ones you like) because alot of them can be harmful to them.

Otherwise, whats the temp in the tank? How old is he?

Honestly mystery snails are kind of annoying keep if you do it right. They need a high ph and a high calcium diet or their shells will rot away eventually. Crushed coral and kale are excellent for this. You can also crush up algae wafers, add calcium, then refreeze them.

Whats the name of the tabs?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a gift!  Here's a little guy to look over your posts ;) - Fishalicious   Because you advice well... - Alfcea   Happy Holidays! - Northernguy   taking the time to answer my question - gabbyguppy   Recent Posts\Contributions - Taurus   

0 Not allowed!
    feeder tabs(which is what i think you're talking about) flood the water with stuff which can cause ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate spikes. Do a large water change and don't forget to use de-chlorinator. As a general rule, snails can't put up with the cruddy water conditions a betta can. Granted, they are tough, but i don't as much as a betta. Also, some species of snails can't breath air, and they are at more of a disadvantage. Another thing that could be causing him to slow down is a water temp drop. Is your heater working?

--chris

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a gift!  Here's a little guy to look over your posts ;) - Fishalicious   Because you advice well... - Alfcea   Happy Holidays! - Northernguy   taking the time to answer my question - gabbyguppy   Recent Posts\Contributions - Taurus   

0 Not allowed!
    rereading your post i see that we are tlaking about a 2 gal bowl; now that i see you have a 2 gal fish bowl with the snail and betta i really think we're talking about polluted water. Do'm a 50% water change and see if that help.

--chris

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a gift - Lady Hobbs   Have a beer on me - sailor   Fresh outta the Chesapeke...maybe..lol - jbeining75   happy 21st birthday yay - angelcakes   Happy birthday! - Tigerbarb   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - turkey151   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - turkey151   Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - Wild Turkey   Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Wild Turkey   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Wild Turkey   

0 Not allowed!
    I agree, if they are tabs for feeding the betta ( i didnt want to assume ) then definitely do those water changes ASAP.

Do you have a test kit?

I didnt want to bring it up before, but most people would say 5 gals is minimum for bettas, personally i think its 2.5+ but only in some cases, the tank being planted nicely would be one.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks and your first gift!! - The Red Severum   Eggs woo hoo!!! - Gayle   My new buddy.  LOL - Lady Hobbs   because you're always there to help! - gourami*girl   A beer for my fellow canuck! - NickFish   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the AC!
    What you should do right after the water change is get a small tank.A 10 gal tank is is cheap.Do water changes every few days.
    If you can get yourself a 10 gal complete kit.They are very affordable and so much better for your fish and snail.It will make your beta act like a fish instead of a statue.
    Please read the free E-book on the left.It will also answer your questions.
    Ray Your Freindly Neighborhood,Fully Mod-ified, Self-appointed Pic Hound!! Need pics!!!
    Have you filled out your profile yet ?????????????
    The Fabulous AC ebook Please read>http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

have a pressie :-) - mitcore   Something he doesn't have - Lady Hobbs   Merry Christmas - Lady Hobbs   Donuts are yummy! - AquaBison   Merry Christmas to you as well. - ILuvMyGoldBarb   

0 Not allowed!
    You might be able to get away with a java fern in there.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Stanley the Mystery Snail

0 Not allowed!
    Wow! Thanks everyone for your prompt replies!

I forgot to mention that I did do a 100% water change on the 6th day when I got back, and I'm going to do another one today. I do that once a week. It's weird - I put the same tabs (I don't remember the name right now, but they are little fish-shaped tabs about a 1/2" long and come in different colors) in 3 different bowls and non of them dissolved much except the one in Stanley's bowl - it was all over the place.

I don't know how old he is; I've only had him a few months, and he's small. I have a Gold Inca snail at home. I've read they like greens, but neither one of mine will eat them. I will try the other things that were suggested.

Thanks again!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Your tank maintenance enthusiasm is excellent! However 100% water changes are excessive and somewhat stressful. Id suggest 50% weekly. What else to do you to the tank? Filter?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

I just thought you deserved a gift. - Brookfish   For Some Luck! - Northernguy   A lil fishy to brighten your day. - mollielover   Seasons Greetings, - Brookfish   Thanks! - Wild Turkey   

0 Not allowed!
    A 100 % water change a week should be good. That should be plenty to keep the levels in there good unless you are overfeeding miss betta. Do you think that could be an issue? My females are even more voracious than my males it seems. Probably because their fins are shorter and they burn more energy swimming. If not keep up with the weekly changes. If you test your bowl a couple of days after cleaning it, you can time the ammonia if you always feed the same amount of food. Or around the same amount of food. You'll find if you do you usually get consistent reading for small amounts of ammonia on the same day and then you'll know to change your bowl on the day before you got the reading. (was that confusing? LOL)
    I know loads about bettas but just acquired my snails three days ago so I'm no help there. In fact I think I'll have to get rid of them because my water is extremely soft and most of my fish prefer this.

Quote Originally Posted by vamorris
    Wow! Thanks everyone for your prompt replies!

I forgot to mention that I did do a 100% water change on the 6th day when I got back, and I'm going to do another one today. I do that once a week. It's weird - I put the same tabs (I don't remember the name right now, but they are little fish-shaped tabs about a 1/2" long and come in different colors) in 3 different bowls and non of them dissolved much except the one in Stanley's bowl - it was all over the place.

I don't know how old he is; I've only had him a few months, and he's small. I have a Gold Inca snail at home. I've read they like greens, but neither one of mine will eat them. I will try the other things that were suggested.

Thanks again!
    We can be as honest as we are ignorant. If we are, when asked what is beyond the horizon of the known, we must say that we do not know.

Robert G. Ingersoll