· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Question Needlenose,Puffer,25 gal?

0 Not allowed!
    First, would it be possible to put a needlenose gar and puffers(like dwarf or green spotted) together?

Second, I've been thinking of getting a tank about 25 gal. At the local pet store I spotted a little 2-3" needlenose. So would the needlenose and maybe a couple puffers work in a 25 gal.?

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    the needlenose will outgrow the tank. the puffers will probably kill the needlenose. puffers really do best in species tanks. heck the dwarf puffers may get eaten by the needlenose once he gets big enough.
    10 gal tropical tank (mainly snails w/7 fish), 5 rats, 4 parakeets, 1 senegal parrot, 2 degus, 1 snake, 1 blue tongue skink, 3 mice, 1 rabbit, 1 ferret, 5 cats, 1 dog

0 Not allowed!
    The gar is FAR too large for a tank that size. It would never work. We are here talking about a fish that can reach well over 2 feet in length. You'd need a tank at least 180 gallons but preferably larger.

Dwarf Puffers, as already stated, do best in a species-specific tank also.
    8 tanks running now:
    1x 220 gallon, 2x55 gallon, 1x40 gallon long, 1x29 gallon, 1x20 gallon long, 1x5.5 gallon, 1x2 gallon
    Gouramis, barbs, rasboras, plecos, corys, tetras, fancy guppies, swordtails, ottos, rainbow shark, upside-down catfish, snails, and Max and Sparkles the bettas.

0 Not allowed!
    if by needlenose you mean (Xenentodon cancila) then it would not outgrow a 25 for quite some time depending on size when you get it. they are not a "true gar" species and do not get nearly as large...if i remember correctly they max out around 12-16 inches in captivity, however it takes them a long time to reach this size. i have never seen one over 6-8 inches. ultimately you would need a larger tank though...so if you cant provide this then it isnt a good idea to purchase this fish. as for it going in w/ small puffers...not such a good idea. i am fairly confident that it would try eating them sooner or later. check out the link i posted below. it provides some fairly accurate info and may help id the fish in question.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenentodon_cancila
    Last edited by Demjor19; 11-03-2007 at 03:00 AM.
    -Jordan
    Gar connaisseur

Predatory Tank:
    20" Tropical Gar, 18" Florida Gar, 20" Longnose Gar,
    17" Ornate Bichir, 25" Silver Arowana, 16" Bowfin, 15" Giant Gourami

16" Male Dovii

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, there are some fish that are referred to as a needlenose that may not actually be as such. Here is some info on a true needlenose gar.

http://www.aqualandpetsplus.com/Oddball,%20Gar.htm
    8 tanks running now:
    1x 220 gallon, 2x55 gallon, 1x40 gallon long, 1x29 gallon, 1x20 gallon long, 1x5.5 gallon, 1x2 gallon
    Gouramis, barbs, rasboras, plecos, corys, tetras, fancy guppies, swordtails, ottos, rainbow shark, upside-down catfish, snails, and Max and Sparkles the bettas.

0 Not allowed!
    "needlenose gar" is a very generic name given to any fish that resembles a gar. the only "true gar" that even somewhat resembles the "needlenose gar" is the longnose gar (Lepisosteus Osseus).
    -Jordan
    Gar connaisseur

Predatory Tank:

16" Male Dovii

0 Not allowed!
    Very true, and excellent information. Thank you for the clarification and elaboration!
    8 tanks running now:

0 Not allowed!
    your welcome. i'm a bit obsessed over gar, so i try my best to keep facts straight and help inform people.
    -Jordan
    Gar connaisseur

Predatory Tank:

16" Male Dovii

0 Not allowed!
    ...and it is greatly appreciated. We need people like you here to help us learn more about the fish we keep. Thanks again!
    8 tanks running now:

0 Not allowed!
    it's my pleasure!
    -Jordan
    Gar connaisseur

Predatory Tank:

16" Male Dovii