· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Your first gift. Thumbs up for the betta fans!! A gift who is compatible. LOL - lovleeko   

Lightbulb The infamous betta bulbs

0 Not allowed!
    Hey all, recently bought something from petco labeled as Betta bulbs that came in a pack of three. I don't have a special tank for growing plants b/c my dorm has limited space. I currently have them wrapped in a paper towel in a cup with water and plant food under my desk lamp. Is there anyway they will sprout under these conditions?!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the quote - **AquaQueen**   Message for you sir! - Aeonflame   

0 Not allowed!
    If they have a chance at sprouting the best way to start them out is in a jar full of water sitting on a sunny windowsill.The plant food is unnecessary,the bulbs [if there viable]have the nutrients they need to sprout stored already.Out of the 20 walmart/petco type bulbs I have tried I had 3 actually sprout and only 2 thrive.Good luck.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Your first gift. Thumbs up for the betta fans!! A gift who is compatible. LOL - lovleeko   

0 Not allowed!
    Hmmm those odds are a little discouraging, but thanks for the advise. I'll do my best and if just one of them sprouts I'll be happy. Thanks again :D

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

I just thought you deserved a gift. - Brookfish   For Some Luck! - Northernguy   A lil fishy to brighten your day. - mollielover   Seasons Greetings, - Brookfish   Thanks! - Wild Turkey   

0 Not allowed!
    I just stuck mine in a cup with water in a window. It is my first time using them too though so I can't say much about them yet. Good luck. I'll let you know. Let me know how yours do.
    We can be as honest as we are ignorant. If we are, when asked what is beyond the horizon of the known, we must say that we do not know.

Robert G. Ingersoll

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by lovleeko
    I just stuck mine in a cup with water in a window. It is my first time using them too though so I can't say much about them yet. Good luck. I'll let you know. Let me know how yours do.
    OK sounds cool! I'll keep you posted :D

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default one left

0 Not allowed!
    Welp, I've almost had these little guys in a cup of water under sunlight for a week. 2 of them started to rot or growing some white fungus so I pitched them. I have fingers crossed for the last one though and hope to see some results!! :D

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a gift - Lady Hobbs   Have a beer on me - sailor   Fresh outta the Chesapeke...maybe..lol - jbeining75   happy 21st birthday yay - angelcakes   Happy birthday! - Tigerbarb   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - turkey151   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - turkey151   Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - Wild Turkey   Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Wild Turkey   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Wild Turkey   

0 Not allowed!
    Ive never heard anything good about these either.

An airstone may help prevent mold, keep it low though.

Anyone have a pic of one thats grown?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

I just thought you deserved a gift. - Brookfish   For Some Luck! - Northernguy   A lil fishy to brighten your day. - mollielover   Seasons Greetings, - Brookfish   Thanks! - Wild Turkey   

0 Not allowed!
    I have been reading about live plants for uncycled betta tanks and today I bought some java fern and java moss for mine. Wow!!! It looks great. I am so excited about it. I hope they do well. One of my betta bulbs have started to sprout too. So I guess if they turn out I'll have all kinds of options for my tanks.
    We can be as honest as we are ignorant. If we are, when asked what is beyond the horizon of the known, we must say that we do not know.

Robert G. Ingersoll

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    yeah i was leaning towards some java fern myself. I saw the thread in the DIY section for the moss wall today and it looked awesome!! I'll wait to see how my last bulb does though I'll have to try out that air stone idea to make sure I don't lose my last bulb before it decides if/when it will sprout. Thanks for input guys :D

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Anyone that had a trio of angels deserves a gift. - Brookfish   Thanks for all the help in PM - Taurus   Great pic! - Brookfish   You need a bigger school of angels! lol - Northernguy   Heres a neon for your tank! - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    The best way to germinate those bulbs is usually a cup of water in a window or near a bright light. I do this with these bulbs, because it also makes it easy to pick out the bulbs that didn't grow, and return them for good ones (most packs will give instructions on the back for replacements, you should always get what you pay for). Although there are different brands on the market most of the time betta bulbs are various apon species in case you were wondering.
    75G Planted Blue Themed Community Tank:
    Neon Tetras, Blue Platties, Blue Guppies, Blue Snails, & a pleco
    with 4 hang off breeder tanks for Blue/Red Platty Project