· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

a cool drink for a hot aussie day - Futureboy   Just a gift for you and your betta! - Hailey   your a funny person, - mitcore   Woof..woof..!!! LOL! - Demi ^_^   yay to chat buddies - arkie   
    Childhood Cancer - Demi ^_^   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Demi ^_^   Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - Demi ^_^   Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - Demi ^_^   

Red face Breeding Tank Advice & Help

0 Not allowed!
    KK, I have been thinking about what I really want for Xmas, so many combinations and tank ideas have popped into my head (I have MTS TOOOOOOO bad lolz)

I am thinking: what about a breeding tank?

Say about 20g+...

What would I need?

& also, I was thinking of like, the Angels being in the main 42g, but when I want to definately have some bubs, I could put the pair in the breeder and wait for the eggs... would that work?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For outstanding care of a Corydoras - Brookfish   more discus for you: - Lady Hobbs   brookfish ! for your good photos now give me some tips hahha on photographing rummies. - LORENZO   No Message - LORENZO   dougZ - LORENZO   

0 Not allowed!
    HEllo maybe you could put the pair in a 30 gallon. Don't want the parents over stressed. Or take sword leaf-sometimes they spawn on that and move that to the breeding tank. I have a similiar problem now in trying to get discus moved to a breeding tank. ONe could get into this collecting of tanks!!!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

a cool drink for a hot aussie day - Futureboy   Just a gift for you and your betta! - Hailey   your a funny person, - mitcore   Woof..woof..!!! LOL! - Demi ^_^   yay to chat buddies - arkie   
    Childhood Cancer - Demi ^_^   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Demi ^_^   Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - Demi ^_^   Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - Demi ^_^   

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks!

I am now thinking it would be better to do what you said about moving the leaf or rock/etc embedded with the eggs... I think that would be better and easier LOL.

I talked it over with mum and she said: I'll think about it, you just be good and see what santa brings ya! and I know what that MEANS! :))))))

I am thinking 15-20g with bare bottem, heater, sponge filter, thermometre... Would I have to have a CUC? Or could I have anything in their to keep the cycle going even when their are no fish or eggs in there?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks and your first gift!! - The Red Severum   Eggs woo hoo!!! - Gayle   My new buddy.  LOL - Lady Hobbs   because you're always there to help! - gourami*girl   A beer for my fellow canuck! - NickFish   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    You will need a fish in the tank to keep it cycled.
    Ray Your Freindly Neighborhood,Fully Mod-ified, Self-appointed Pic Hound!! Need pics!!!
    Have you filled out your profile yet ?????????????
    The Fabulous AC ebook Please read>http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    KK ummm... what type of fish? This is where it confuses me... what type of fish could go in adn stay in without eating the eggs or fry I put in there?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks and your first gift!! - The Red Severum   Eggs woo hoo!!! - Gayle   My new buddy.  LOL - Lady Hobbs   because you're always there to help! - gourami*girl   A beer for my fellow canuck! - NickFish   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    Get another school of tetras to keep it cycled!That should equal out the bio-load!
    Ray Your Freindly Neighborhood,Fully Mod-ified, Self-appointed Pic Hound!! Need pics!!!
    Have you filled out your profile yet ?????????????
    The Fabulous AC ebook Please read>http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    But would the tetras eat any fry or eggs? I want to use this breedinbg tank not only for My Angels eggs, but maybe any cory eggs/etc... I'll have to have a research looksee lolz

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Yayyy! Mum has been looking on eBay all day at tanks for me for Xmas! I told her about the breeding tank I want and she is now looking at 2-2.5ft tanks :))))))))))

What else do I need? A bare bottom, a sponge filter, heater and thermometre?

What other fish? If any? I am really worried about this bit coz I need a fish that won't eat eggs and fry, plus I want it too be hardy...

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Anyone that had a trio of angels deserves a gift. - Brookfish   Thanks for all the help in PM - Taurus   Great pic! - Brookfish   You need a bigger school of angels! lol - Northernguy   Heres a neon for your tank! - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    From my experience there are 2 ways to breed angels.

If you can find a pair that will parent raise you can use a 40-55G barebottom tank for the pair with a sponge filter. This will give the fish and fry plenty of space.

On the other hand some pairs can't raise their own young (they are eaten or ignored, etc.). In these cases its best to keep the pair in a 20G tank (can be gravel bottom), then pull the eggs out and grow them up in a barebottom 30-50G tank.

In either case, be sure to setup the tanks so you can change their water quite a bit. My pairs would usually get 50% weekly, fry 25-50% daily. Angels usually like 78-80*F. If you plan to breed I wouldn't really keep many other fish in the tanks, they will probably eat the eggs, or get attacked by the angelfish when they lay the eggs. The only fish I use is bristlenose plecos but even then this is only in tanks where I pull the eggs. (As soon as the lights go off the plecos will eat the eggs.)

Hope this helps.
    75G Planted Blue Themed Community Tank:
    Neon Tetras, Blue Platties, Blue Guppies, Blue Snails, & a pleco
    with 4 hang off breeder tanks for Blue/Red Platty Project

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a gift - Lady Hobbs   Have a beer on me - sailor   Fresh outta the Chesapeke...maybe..lol - jbeining75   happy 21st birthday yay - angelcakes   Happy birthday! - Tigerbarb   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - turkey151   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - turkey151   Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - Wild Turkey   Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Wild Turkey   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Wild Turkey   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Demi ^_^
    But would the tetras eat any fry or eggs? I want to use this breedinbg tank not only for My Angels eggs, but maybe any cory eggs/etc... I'll have to have a research looksee lolz
    I think NG means, keep the school in there until you put eggs/fry in and at the same time put the school in the other tank. The old switcheroo

If so, I agree great advice

A divider is another possibility, and there are also other ways of separating them without moving them out, if you so wish.