· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stray Cat

1. Default Stray Cat

0 Not allowed!
    Hi,

For the past two months a cat has been visiting, sitting at the stairs, looking interested in going in the house but was pretty timid and would run away if we got close. I've named him Hello Kitty.

Hello Kitty Jul 2014.jpg

We started giving cans of tuna whenever he'd show up and recently started giving some dry cat food soaked in water. I've also gotten him used to being petted and understands "come." Trying to teach him a a few more tricks, he's a smart one.

As you can see I've kind of bonded with him but do not want to take him in and he's not always around so maybe he gets fed by other people, who knows.

I don't know how strays survive in the winter if they have nowhere to live. Should I make him a little box near the house for him to sleep in? (I can start feeding him in there to get him used to it for when winter comes). Is that enough for him?
    I watch fish. Really. I just sit and stare.

Hardscaped 29G: 14 Harlequin Rasbora, 3 Diamond Tetra, 1 Bolivian Ram, 6 Peppered Cory, 1 Mystery Snail

Awards Showcase

Have a cup pn me for some great conversation this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F. back at you buddy! - steeler58 BEER!!! - Compass Here's to 11,000.....woe!! - steeler58 T.G.I.F^2 - Taurus 
    for playing the cory game - cm12setx Cheers! - nickellmama27 6000 posts! You'll have to take that thread to a publisher! - Compass Have another beer for another milestone ;) - steeler58 6000 -- wow - RiversGirl 
    Heres to Bacon Beer :-) - Taurus good job on the yappin! Thanks! - SeaLady Thanks for the rep ;) - steeler58 For the YapMeister - Compass Another milestone! - steeler58 
    TGIF indeed - RiversGirl For passing another memeber ;-) - steeler58 Have another Rummy for 12,000 posts ;) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep - mommy1 Medicine for what ails you. - Taurus 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

1 Not allowed!
    He's a pretty boy...now that you've started to feed him, he'll keep coming around

Wouldn't hurt to build him a shelter, if you wish
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    You could get a dog house like thing and put a small bed and food/water bowls and he'll do fine, if he gets cold he will probaly come inside if you leave door open, how old do you think he is.
    A true aquarist knows what it feels like to step on a sharp piece of gravel
    do as I say, not as I do- William
    Sandy hook, need lest we forget- steeler58
    I think if someone thinks clownfish are called nemos they should banned from keeping sw tank.

1 Not allowed!
    I had a stray cat which lived on my back deck. I assume she was my neighbors cat as they have many outside cats which roam around and annoy others which usually doesn't go well. This old girl though never left my yard and kind of just moved in. I fed her daily, treated her for fleas and parasites and even took her to my vet for a round of vaccines. She went from a rack of bones with a thin dry coat into a lovely plump tortoiseshell. I made a bed for her out of an 18gallon tote and put it next to my back door which is covered and protected from the wind. I simply cut a small hole in the tote with an box cutter and put in a warm blanket. We had a particularly rough winter so I would place some heat packs used for shipping fish in her bed. She rarely moved from her little cozy spot....she however vanished sometime in early spring. I hope nothing bad became of her, the SO and I walked several blocks so I know she didnt get hit by a car. My neighbors go through cats and dogs all the time so I assume she ended up like most of their pets...kept for awhile and discarded onto a new owner like trash. We even left contact info at the local shelter so if a long haired torti came in to call us. Point to the story...do the best you can for your stray. However always keep in the back of your mind that it is not your animal and ultimately unless you take it in as your own something will eventually become of it. Thus the neighbors new crop of kittens have been getting tagged on my deck by a water-hose...Im not getting attached nor feeding anymore
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I must say that was a nice story :)
    When everything goes without a hitch its only then do you realize something is wrong

6. Default

2 Not allowed!
    It's hard to tell but in that picture she looks like a young cat, maybe even still an older kitten. If you do not want to take her in and care for her properly - vet visits, shots, spaying etc - I would find a local no-kill shelter and bring her there. She would at least have the chance for a better life through adoption than that of a stray and would not go on to breed, producing even more strays.

I got my first cat in a similar way. Neighbors were feeding a stray and occasionally she would end up on my porch and I couldn't resist feeding also. But when it started to get cold, I let her in, bought a litter box and that was it - she was mine. Got her to the vets for checkup, shots, and she was pregnant. She had one kitten which I also kept and she was spayed after as well as her kitten. I had one of these for 16 years, the other for 17 years, along with another feral cat I later took in.

7. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Thanks everyone, it's true, I am getting attached but taking him in is not an option (I think for now), just wanted to give him a good chance since he lives outdoors so we feed him when we see him, we don't leave food out everyday. He looks really young but hard to tell since strays always look in better shape and smaller than most house cats.

But I will see if I can make sort of a dog house thing for him maybe... As for getting him fixed, I mean, there's so many cats out there, I can't start collecting them all and turning them in if you know what I mean...I was just trying to see if I could help him out the best I can with what I have I guess..

And I always get this feeling that since he's been outdoors most of his life it seems, he may not enjoy being a house cat?
    I watch fish. Really. I just sit and stare.

Hardscaped 29G: 14 Harlequin Rasbora, 3 Diamond Tetra, 1 Bolivian Ram, 6 Peppered Cory, 1 Mystery Snail

Awards Showcase

Thx. Have another on me! - pRED Enjoy the 4th brother :-) - Taurus Bleeding blues! - RiversGirl TGIF and here's to the bleeding blues Lee. - Taurus This one's on me.... - Slaphppy7 
    pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady 
    for the thing in your signature about saandy hook, i was in elementary during that time. - aquariumlover10 Thanks for the bucks!! - SeaLady No Message - RiversGirl New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

1 Not allowed!
    Remember with Cat's, "they adopt you", not the other way around ;-)

Very cool story maybe he is one of those that just visits houses for handouts but I would provide him with a warm place to stay also :-)
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

9. Default

1 Not allowed!
    If they're young enough, cats can adapt to life inside although I'll admit there's a lot of crying to go out in the beginning. But neutering helps.

If it's a non-neutered male, he could be gone for days searching for females. It's a tough life for strays when not neutered/spayed. The males will fight often over females. And it's so cold up there. I'm in New England and I couldn't stand to think of the stray I had living out in the cold. Ok, I'm a softie and I love cats, although now I have just 2 dogs.

Occasionally communities will offer free spay/neuter clinics at various times throughout the year. If he sticks around and you continue to care for him as an outside cat, maybe keep your eyes open for one of these clinics. It's better and safer for him.

10. Default

1 Not allowed!
    I think it would be kind of you to build him/her a shelter for the winter. Just be careful and do not try to pick him up unless he is that friendly. I tried to rescue a family of kittens earlier this year, I caught one and got it in the car no problem, he was sweet. His sibling how ever was not thrilled with being picked up and scratched ad bit me. I had to go to the doctor and get all this discussing medicine, i almost got my rabies shots but did not as the kitten was watched closely and remanded alive. It would be very kind of you to help him just be careful. You could however take him to free rabies clinics if he is able to be picked up and also free spay and neuter clinics. It helps with the homeless animal population. Just be careful and the cats do adopt there owners, you don't have say in it :).