· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 29 gallon

1. Default 29 gallon

0 Not allowed!
    I want to get an octopus or some kind of cephalopod some day so I want to start getting into saltwater.
    For Xmas I want to get a 29 gallon tank but I have no idea what I would need. I would like to know about what I would need to get so that I can have a healthy tank! If you could make a list of everything I need for a 29 gallon tank that would be great! So that I can put all that stuff on my Xmas list!!

Thanks for the help!!!
    55 GALLON TANK
    1 Golden Wonder Killi
    1 Clown Pleco
    1 Cherry Barb
    2 Turquoise Severums
    1 Flag Cichlid
    1 Whip tail Cat fish
    1 Pictus
    Another cichlid....

10 GALLON
    1 Crayfish

10 GALLON
    Blue Crayfish

10 GALLON
    Baby Crayfish

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Okay, first things first. RESEARCH!!! You can never do enough of it. Also are you planning on a FOWLR or reef tank? I'll make up a list for you, but one of the expereinced SW keepers will probably make some sort of improvement on.
    55g - 1 oscar and 1 red zebra
    30g(planted) - 3 Trilineatus cories, 3 peppered cories, 1 female betta, 2 gold rasboras, and snails.
    50g - 4 lethrinops intermedius
    46g Hex - 2 black neon tetras, 3 bloodfin tetras, 3 blue tetras, 2 snakeskin gouramis, 3 Agassizi corys, 2 von rio tetras ,and 1 pleco

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I would start by reading The New Marine Aquarium by Michael Paletta several times through till you understand everything he talks about in the book. Here is a rough basic list of what you will need but understand you need more than just a list or plan, you need some knowledge to compliment that. Start reading every marine thread you can and find out what they are talking about.

::Here is a basic list for your 29g tank::

-tank (you already have this)

-30lbs of liverock (this is a minimum value of pounds. You want 1-2lbs of rock per gallon of water)

-150 watt heater (brand is up to you, I prefer stealth heaters.)

-powerheads (marine tanks require proper water movement. Depending on what type of aquarium you are setting up (FOWLR, reef, etc.) you want a certain amount of tank volume turn over per hour. I think a base number is 10x the volume per hour and goes up depending on what livestock is being kept 50x+ for some tanks. It depends entirely on your setup. Flow pattern is also important; laminar, chaotic, etc. You will need to research this. So base you will want 300gallons/hour flow. I would break that number into at least two powerheads to spread the flow out and help with dead spots. I prefer koralia powerheads. This topic is a whole new can of worms)

-lighting (again this totally depends on what type of tank you will be setting up. You can keep the stock flourescent bulbs for FOWLR tanks. However a overwhelming majority of tanks that start out with only fish become reef tanks in a short time period. At that point you would need stronger lighting such as power compacts, T-5, halide, LED. Again that is a whole new can of worms. I prefer T-5 lighting but have used PC to good effect.)

-Skimmer (this could be optional but their affects on your tank give you more breathing room with water quality. In a small tank, especially your first one, it may take time before water quality issues are resolved/understood. There are many out there and different types, HOB and in-sump. I would probably start with a HOB model unless you are prepared to get involved with a sump which once more is a whole new topic. There are cheap skimmers out there that can be modded but as with lighting it would be better to start with a quality skimmer then get a few cheap ones only to then ante up and get a good one. I prefer AquaC Remora skimmers, tunze makes great HOB models also.)

-water (I would highly recommend using reverse osmosis deionized water. What comes out of your tap has tons of dissolved chemicals and solutions that will cause havoc in your tank from algaes. Ask the member Cocoapleco about this. You can usually find this at the store you get your marine stock and supplies from. They may also have premixed saltwater for use. You can also get your own filter. These are a whole new topic)
    -salt (these next two are only if you do not use premixed water from your fish store. there are many views on salt and depending on your setup would be recommended for you. Just make sure it is marine salt and not freshwater salt or table salt etc. These are completely different things, it is not just NaCl going into your water. I use instant ocean but am going to try out kent salt.)

-hydrometer/refractometer (measures salinity, I prefer refractometers as they are more accurate. If you get one make sure it has automatic temperature compensation.)

there is a very basic list. Each topic can easily spawn multiple threads about different aspects about them. As said before, research till your eyes bleed, then do more. Ask questions about any and everything you can think of here and you will get help. Good luck!

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by AquaBison
    Okay, first things first. RESEARCH!!! You can never do enough of it. Also are you planning on a FOWLR or reef tank? I'll make up a list for you, but one of the expereinced SW keepers will probably make some sort of improvement on.
    What does FOWLR mean ?
    55 GALLON TANK
    1 Golden Wonder Killi
    1 Clown Pleco
    1 Cherry Barb
    2 Turquoise Severums
    1 Flag Cichlid
    1 Whip tail Cat fish
    1 Pictus
    Another cichlid....

10 GALLON
    1 Crayfish

10 GALLON
    Blue Crayfish

10 GALLON
    Baby Crayfish

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    FOWLR = Fish only with live rock
    55g - 1 oscar and 1 red zebra
    30g(planted) - 3 Trilineatus cories, 3 peppered cories, 1 female betta, 2 gold rasboras, and snails.
    50g - 4 lethrinops intermedius
    46g Hex - 2 black neon tetras, 3 bloodfin tetras, 3 blue tetras, 2 snakeskin gouramis, 3 Agassizi corys, 2 von rio tetras ,and 1 pleco

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    You will not be able to keep an octopus in that size tank and without lots of experience

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by unleashed
    You will not be able to keep an octopus in that size tank and without lots of experience
    I don't think he meant he was going to keep it in that sized tank. The plan was to one day get one and to get their feet wet with the 29gallon tank.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Your right Halelorf. I want to get into saltwater keeping and then get an octopus later and I'm a girl! LOL
    55 GALLON TANK
    1 Golden Wonder Killi
    1 Clown Pleco
    1 Cherry Barb
    2 Turquoise Severums
    1 Flag Cichlid
    1 Whip tail Cat fish
    1 Pictus
    Another cichlid....

10 GALLON
    1 Crayfish

10 GALLON
    Blue Crayfish

10 GALLON
    Baby Crayfish

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Would a FOWLR tank be easy? Because its my first saltwater tank so I don't want it to be too hard.
    55 GALLON TANK
    1 Golden Wonder Killi
    1 Clown Pleco
    1 Cherry Barb
    2 Turquoise Severums
    1 Flag Cichlid
    1 Whip tail Cat fish
    1 Pictus
    Another cichlid....

10 GALLON
    1 Crayfish

10 GALLON
    Blue Crayfish

10 GALLON
    Baby Crayfish

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, it is relatively easy for a saltwater setup. The live rock will be your biological filter. Its not as hard as it use to be. Its just more time consuming in the way of maintenance. Almost every detail in the setup process is covered in the book Halelorf suggested.
    Stock the tank you have, not the tank you plan to have. Always have and use patience.
    - 29g FW - Community
    - 55g SW - Blue Watchman Goby, Royal Gramma, 6-Line Wrasse, 2 Ocellaris Clownfish, and various corals and inverts
    For those of you who want a SW tank and never have had one before or just starting out, read this blog entry from my blog on AC, it will give you a place to start.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast