· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

cross the river  ;) - Algenco   

Default breeding rainbows

0 Not allowed!
    I currently have 4 rainbows. 3 (2m-1f ) are, I believe pink ears (I have as hard a time telling some of the rainbow sub sp apart as with plecos), and 1 male banded. the female pink ear and the banded spawned in my community tank which is salted but I never got any fry in that tank, in fact the only reason I know they spawned is because some fry turned up in another tank (which had no salt), I'm guessing some eggs stuck to the siphon and got transferred that way. I figure that the eggs in the community tank were probably eaten, but I'm also wondering if it could have anything to do with the salt as I'm planning on taking them out of the community in an effort to breeding them again. other than that the water in both tanks is identical
    change it like you had to drink it!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Healing vibes.  Read and rest your fingers! - RiversGirl   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! (USA) - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Hi,
    IMO I thin it was the salt that stop the fish eggs from hatching. But as for a Pink Ear Rainbow??? Can you post a pic of it.

mac

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    If you have bows, you gotta have this site. Gives tons of information and species id.

http://members.optushome.com.au/chelmon/

Bows eat their own eggs as soon as they spawn. I got a big batch of them from adding java moss to the tank, watching them spawn on it and then removing the moss to another tank. That worked when I only had one species in the tank but now I have 3 species and don't want them to inter-breed so now am adding a pair to a 5 gallon (with java) and will remove the pair once they spawn.

They have the tiniest fry in the world. Pinhead size and all will be on the waters surface. Some people just put a spawning mop or java moss in a jar or pail of water that's got plants in it and the fry will eat off the plants for awhile. Then they dump them into a small, bare bottom tank with sponge filter.
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 11-30-2008 at 03:51 AM.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    thanks for the replies :) I'll try and get a picture of them up, but I'm not that great with the camera. it's funny that the fry are so small when they hatch, because the two juvies that survived from the original spawn are twice as big as my firemouths and krib juvies that were spawned around the same time.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    If you have bows, you gotta have this site. Gives tons of information and species id.

http://members.optushome.com.au/chelmon/
    and thanks for the link too by the way :)