· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    AARRRGGGGHHH!!!!!

Well Jess, at least you were able to help us all with narrowing down the ID process to something useful.

Thank you for that.

Now it is back to the search for the correct algea eater to cure the remaining problem. And in the meantime I can enjoy the finned friends I thought were correct. At least they have interesting behaviour, and my chain loaches like schooling with them.

Jim

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Had a close look-see at my 4 last night while transferring them to the 90 gallon from the 30 gallon. No black patches. Bummer.

Knowing what to look for will help once I find them, but getting the right ones seems like a tougher task now.

Jim

Awards Showcase

Welcome to AC - Lady Hobbs A gift - Tolley A round of gifts for my friends at ac! - Wild Turkey You've been a great help, and a great addition to the forum! - harls_aussie For getting into SA  cichlids! - MCHRKiller 
    For all your support and kind comments. - Brookfish merry christmas - cocoa_pleco Seasons Greetings, Have a great Christmas! - Brookfish Have a Merry Xmas! - Demi ^_^ Feliz Navidad !!! - Alfcea 
    Happy Holidays! - Wild Turkey merry freakin Xmas! :D - MCHRKiller Thanks for the help! - cer Happy Holidays! - Northernguy Congrats on your award! - Brookfish 
    Happy Holidays! - korith Thanks for all your help - your a great mate! - Demi ^_^ thanks for trying to help me ID - The Red Severum thanks again! - The Red Severum You are an awsome person of my AC family - Demi ^_^ 

0 Not allowed!
    HI Jess,

So the SAE with the black patch mark under it's body is a proper SAE then?
    And is that the only way to tell?

mac
    Be a responsible fish keeper! Study before buying!
    Never give in to impulse buying of Aquatic Fish.

Dairy 2IC. NZ Dairy Holdings.
    Turbo fan. Nothing beats a turbo at the lights.
    Oh sorry officer did not realise I was dragging.

0 Not allowed!
    The true SAE (Siamensis) ask good as does not exist in our aquariums - it is very rarely imported... all imports are a mix of the other 4

The Langnei is the one you realy want as this is the one that eat black brush algae (red algae) as well as most other algaes.

You can tell the difference by very small tiny details...the curvature of the black line....the coloring ... barbels or no barbels as well as the small black patch under the abdomen.
    My own Fish Blog
    Small Fish for Small Tanks

'The measure of kindness is that you are kind without measure'

Awards Showcase

Have a drink on me - Dave66 From a fellow BC boy - sailor For making a great game - Futureboy thanks for the rep. - robnepper Congrats on your Gold Award :) - SkinnyChicken 
    To make up for not voting you in...lol :) - MeganL3985 Have a great trip! - MeganL3985 Happy B'day - donvichu sounds like you need a beer Doug - sailor Nice job on new tank - Lady Hobbs 
    tribbles - Commodore 64 One more for the school! - Wild Turkey Seasons Greetings, have anice Christmas. - Brookfish Feliz Navidad !!! - Alfcea Happy Holidays! - Wild Turkey 
    Merry Christmas - Northernguy Congrats TOTM - Northernguy Happy Birthday Mate - fraggle Thanks, good to see you back! - Brookfish 
    Autism - doug z Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - doug z 

0 Not allowed!
    I'm having trouble identifying mine, still..

No black ventral blotch, no barbels on either of them..
    75g - 20 cardinals : 7 panda cory : 5 Julii cory : 9 zebra danios : 1 CAE : 2 SAE : 2 yo-yos : 1 BN
    25g: 5 long-finned zebra danios

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by doug z
    I'm having trouble identifying mine, still..

No black ventral blotch, no barbels on either of them..
    If they both definately don't have barbels or blotch then they can only be the C. atrilimes - I thought from the pictures you had that one had a slighly more lemon tinge to it on the upperside (maybe it was the lighting)

Sorry Doug... no algae eating for you....
    My own Fish Blog

Awards Showcase

Have a drink on me - Dave66 From a fellow BC boy - sailor For making a great game - Futureboy thanks for the rep. - robnepper Congrats on your Gold Award :) - SkinnyChicken 
    To make up for not voting you in...lol :) - MeganL3985 Have a great trip! - MeganL3985 Happy B'day - donvichu sounds like you need a beer Doug - sailor Nice job on new tank - Lady Hobbs 
    tribbles - Commodore 64 One more for the school! - Wild Turkey Seasons Greetings, have anice Christmas. - Brookfish Feliz Navidad !!! - Alfcea Happy Holidays! - Wild Turkey 
    Merry Christmas - Northernguy Congrats TOTM - Northernguy Happy Birthday Mate - fraggle Thanks, good to see you back! - Brookfish 
    Autism - doug z Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - doug z 

0 Not allowed!
    Son of a........... >:(
    75g - 20 cardinals : 7 panda cory : 5 Julii cory : 9 zebra danios : 1 CAE : 2 SAE : 2 yo-yos : 1 BN
    25g: 5 long-finned zebra danios

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hey jess!What kind is this one?saeanddyoyo.JPG

0 Not allowed!
    You can see the barbels on this one and the coloring is more a yellow brown hue rather than just yellow - hard to see if the stripe is completely horizontal in this piccie but I'm pretty sure it is a C. Langei - the algae eating one
    My own Fish Blog

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    sailfin01.JPG
    Can you see the line better here.Its an older pic of him,hes quite a bit fatter now!