· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    also, has anyone ever used QUIKRETE play sand for there tanks? i found some at ACE true value hardware for $6 (50 lb bag)

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by reds_21
    also, has anyone ever used QUIKRETE play sand for there tanks? i found some at ACE true value hardware for $6 (50 lb bag)
    I used it in my 55g for a year with good results. You will need to use root tabs under the plants and be sure to stir the sand regularly to prevent it from compacting and to prevent dead pockets from forming. Make sure to rinse it well before you use it. Malaysian Trumpet snails also help as they burrow through the substrate.

Liters to Gallons conversion calculator

"Keeping fish for any period of time doesn't make you experienced if you're doing it wrong. What does, is acknowledging those mistakes and learning from them." ~Aeonflame
    "
    your argument is invalid." ~Mommy1

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    will you have to use this with all types of sand? i saw some quickrete play sand at ace hardware for really cheap, but posted a thread about that as well. i dont have the money for true aquarium sand so im trying to go the cheapest route with out sacrificing the health/visual aspect of my tank.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by reds_21
    will you have to use this with all types of sand? i saw some quickrete play sand at ace hardware for really cheap, but posted a thread about that as well. i dont have the money for true aquarium sand so im trying to go the cheapest route with out sacrificing the health/visual aspect of my tank.
    I used the Quickrete playsand.

Liters to Gallons conversion calculator

"Keeping fish for any period of time doesn't make you experienced if you're doing it wrong. What does, is acknowledging those mistakes and learning from them." ~Aeonflame
    "
    your argument is invalid." ~Mommy1

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Just to add something into the mix here...I had a question about live plants, sand, and changing substrate...I just setup a 30 gallon with black sand, and then decided to add live plants, which I did into the sand. The sand is about 1.5" deep. Would it be advisable to put flurite or eco-complete down under the sand where the plants are? Could I move the sand away from the plants, put the flurite or ecocomplete down, plants in, and then sand back on top? Someone else suggested just putting flurite on top of the sand?

What would you suggest? Just wondering about long term plant survival. I got them as large plants off Craigslist from someone who was moving, so they have long roots already (deeper than the sand, I planted them with roots going to the sides).

Thanks!

Awards Showcase

Thanks and your first gift!! - The Red Severum Eggs woo hoo!!! - Gayle My new buddy.  LOL - Lady Hobbs because you're always there to help! - gourami*girl A beer for my fellow canuck! - NickFish 
    For being a pic hound!!! - Alfcea thankyou for all your help - sueshewoman A round of gifts for my friends at ac! - Wild Turkey to a very good buddy,happy thanksgiving - angelcakes Congrats on MOTM - Lady Hobbs 
    For being on the ball and having the forum at heart. - Brookfish Thanks for the gift! Now heres one for you ! - CephalopodLover congrats on MOTM - angelcakes same to you - mrs fishpatrick thanks for the help - LORENZO 
    merry christmas - cocoa_pleco sorry for your loss - lovleeko Seasons Greetings! - Brookfish Joyeux Noel!  :) - KrytterKrys Happy Christmas 2008 - fins_n_fur 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Northernguy 

0 Not allowed!
    Having a bed of the eco complete under the sand is a great idea.You will have to careful when vacuming not too mix the two.
    It is trickier to plant and the keep the two levels seperate.I think the two substrates would eventually mix together.The heavier of the two will stay more on the bottom.
    Ray Your Freindly Neighborhood,Fully Mod-ified, Self-appointed Pic Hound!! Need pics!!!
    Have you filled out your profile yet ?????????????
    The Fabulous AC ebook Please read>http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I changed my substrate to sand just recently, (With northenguy's suggestion of Pool filter sand) and just mixed the flourite with the sand so it has a nice, black and brown look to it.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    souly, do you have pictures, i might like that combo for my new planted tank project.

9. Smile

0 Not allowed!
    awesome thread. I joined this forum to ask thud exact question! :)

Thanks

10. Default I may have missed this, what about using old water?

0 Not allowed!
    If I eliminate all the old water, will I need to cycle again? I've heard there are good bacteria in the water column.

I am thinking of getting the white CaribSea sand that has the bacteria in the water in the bag of sand. I think it's Moonlight something.

This is a great thread. It has helped me a lot! Thanks to everyone.