· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    To add to fins post you dont have to worry about the murkyness it wont bother the fish.
    55gal: 1gold severum(jasper),1 Green Sev (Spot), 3 tiger barbs (left), bovarian ram.
    29gal: 3 goldfish growing out
    Scott

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    wow, mollie thanks for putting all the work into that post....it was extreeeemely helpful to me.

let me ask, is it possible to change the substrate without removing the fish from the tank, and only say, half the water, or is that just me being lazy? should i just suck it up and buy a new cooler so that i can do this the right way?

one other important question, will the fluorite dark be suitable for my cories? i also want live plants, so im not sure if sand is an option for me.

again, thanks for your post; it was just what i needed

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    awesome thread, i have one question and i have searched for an answer to no avail. I just switched to silica sand, and the water is very murky, it has been almost 24 hours since the switch and it is getting better but not as fast as i thought. my questions are how long does it take the water to clear up and can i run my aqua tech 30-60 filter since the water is murky?

Awards Showcase

For your generosity! - Sir Tristen Thanks! - Wild Turkey Because your cool :) LOL - lovleeko Thought you could use some good algae. Is there such a thing. LOL - lovleeko stocking Rams - Algenco 
    reducing my stock - Algenco don't want to be overstocked - Algenco More algae for your BN's - toddnbecka Something for your tank,  and for being a good sport. - Brookfish Congratulations on your awards - Celtic Fins 
    Happy Easter! - Northernguy thanks for the help and the encouragement - mommy1 have a happy easter banana - mommy1 thanks for the rep, sorry it's late! - lucyinthesky You need another! lol - Northernguy 
    Congrats on your award! - Brookfish for all the encouragment - mommy1 Glad the surgery went well!!! - Gayle No Message - mommy1 Glad you came through the op ok mate! - Brookfish 
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - bushwhacker 

0 Not allowed!
    puff of green you didnt rinse the sand enough...my last change took 2 hours cleaning 100 lbs of sand and less than an hour to set the tank back up lol but i was able to turn my filters on immediatly
    The only substitute for good manners is fast reflexes.
    RIP Roscoe. We will meet again Bug.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Great post. Lots of info about substrate that I didn't know. I thought that sand in the tank would make the water cloudy and would also be impossible to clean, but I guess I was wrong!

As for my situation/question, I am going to upgrade my tank from 10g fw planted tank to 20g, so I need more substrate. I currently have a mix of different color gravel, sized from 1mm to 4mm.

Can I combine gravel, sand, and flourite for a mixed substrate?
    I was originally planning on just gravel and flourite, but now I'm interested in getting some sand in there as well. Is that possible?

6. Default thank you and please help.

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks.
    You have made my mind up about the substrate to use and filled me in on how to care for my fish (when i get em). i am getting a 5"tank given to me and i think its about 37 us gal, but i am swamped by the number of species to prepare to put inti it. i have 3 young children and they live watching this little tank with 3 goldfish in and i would like to make a happy active colourful community tank. please would anyone help me to select amount and type of fish. i am in no rush to get it up and running as i have to buy bit and bobs each week until i have the right items. any help would be very greatful.

Thank you, Gaz;)

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Just sayin', mud would even be a more natural substrate for many fish than sand...looking at underwater Amazon footage points that way...is this ever done?
    29: Zebra Danios, Black Skirt Tetras, CAE
    20L: Guppies, Platies, Neons, Peppered Corys
    10: Harlequin Raspboras, Otos, Amano Shrimp
    2.5:<empty>

8. Smile

0 Not allowed!
    hello i have question about sand i used to have and oscar in a 55 gallon and i put sand in the bottom well he stirred it up so bad and often i went through 3 filters in a month. it was the fine grain sand. now i have a oscar a gt and a dempsey and would like to switch to sand will i have the same problem seeing as i still have a oscar?? and also any tips on floating plants that they can all nibble on?? I tried plants that are on the bottom and my old oscar thought they were great to push around the tank lol.

Awards Showcase

You need a gift - Lady Hobbs Have a beer on me - sailor Fresh outta the Chesapeke...maybe..lol - jbeining75 happy 21st birthday yay - angelcakes Happy birthday! - Tigerbarb 
    Thanks for the congrats...decided to share my wealth LOL - Fishalicious For helping AC with profiles! - William Welcome Back xxx - Fishalicious Good to see you back on. Gotta give one for a local. - oldhead Have  beer on me! Its the weekend. - northernguy 
    Same to you! - NickFish Happy thanksgiving! Enjoy your algae stay away from turkey! : ) - The Red Severum For being so welcoming to a newbie. - Brookfish A Little Extra Luck For You! - Northernguy This one moves! LOL - Wild Turkey 
    For being a great contributor to the community - ILuvMyGoldBarb for driving participation in the forum - Gemini for breaking your winning streak - mrs fishpatrick here tuck in LOL - mrs fishpatrick FOR TEACHING ME SO MUCH - waterhog 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - turkey151 Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - turkey151 Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - Wild Turkey Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Wild Turkey Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Wild Turkey 
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Wild Turkey 

0 Not allowed!
    Get a bigger granule sand.

A lot of people use 3m colorquartz and the different grades are different sizes
    I know S grade is pretty big, T is smaller I think.

10. Smile

0 Not allowed!
    so a larger grade will not mess up my filter when my oscar goes digging? also i'm totally new to plants with sand can you put floaters in with sand and what type do you suggest?