· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Word Game buddy - Wild Turkey   Yourfish looked lonely, besides your a nice guy. - Brookfish   Seasons Greetings, Have a great Christmas. - Brookfish   Happy Hols! - fins_n_fur   Happy Birthday! - Brookfish   

Default Introducing Malaysian trumpet snails

0 Not allowed!
    I just got some of these from my LFS for free to feed my green puffer and he loves the little ones. I put him in a breeder box for him to feed so the snails don't infest my tank. But I was thinking that I possibly might have other fish that would enjoy some snails in their diet, in particular my bala shark and my ghost knife, or maybe my raphael or slithery loach dealy, I have gouramis and rainbow fish too, but I'm not sure if they would eat these or not. Also I was wondering if there's any beneficial quality to have these little guys in my tank.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the quote - **AquaQueen**   Message for you sir! - Aeonflame   

0 Not allowed!
    like it or not you will likely end up with them whether you want them or not.They are not detrimental.However,balas,raphs,knifes do not eat snails,and I doubt even the puffer will be able to bite through mts when they get full size.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks and your first gift!! - The Red Severum   Eggs woo hoo!!! - Gayle   My new buddy.  LOL - Lady Hobbs   because you're always there to help! - gourami*girl   A beer for my fellow canuck! - NickFish   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    You could always get assassin snails to combat the mts.lol They are small and have a really nice shell.
    Snails eat excess food and algae.If you have sand they help decrease gas pockets.
    Last edited by Northernguy; 11-23-2008 at 04:40 AM.
    Ray Your Freindly Neighborhood,Fully Mod-ified, Self-appointed Pic Hound!! Need pics!!!
    Have you filled out your profile yet ?????????????
    The Fabulous AC ebook Please read>http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a gift - Lady Hobbs   Have a beer on me - sailor   Fresh outta the Chesapeke...maybe..lol - jbeining75   happy 21st birthday yay - angelcakes   Happy birthday! - Tigerbarb   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - turkey151   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - turkey151   Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - Wild Turkey   Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Wild Turkey   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Wild Turkey   

0 Not allowed!
    So wait, you mean ur netting the fish every time you would it? If not sorry im confused.

Dont do that if so though, just let the snails go he'll hunt some down and like suggested you can get other stuff to eat them and they are not detrimental to anything else in the tank or the water chemistry. They arent severely invasive like pond snails either, and they have other pluses like mentioned above.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Word Game buddy - Wild Turkey   Yourfish looked lonely, besides your a nice guy. - Brookfish   Seasons Greetings, Have a great Christmas. - Brookfish   Happy Hols! - fins_n_fur   Happy Birthday! - Brookfish   

0 Not allowed!
    Haha yea it was a pain luckily hes kinda slow. But yea i threw a few in there along with a few that had a circular shell that was in the batch, don't know what they are but they're not that big. I'm intrigued by these assassin snails you speak of the name is pretty bada**, almost oxymoronic. Are they rare to find?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Bling Bling - William   Better if you get a gift from me! - Rue   fish, not just a hobby - Algenco   Buddy - Algenco   So sorry - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    I got some MTS from a LFS, and believe it or not, I can't find a single one in my tank, and I don't have any fish that will eat snails. I don't have assassin snails either. I don't know what happened to them. Aughhhhh! And I wanted them too, as they are great for working thru the substrate........
    75 gallon planted tank with discus, GBR's and cardinals

135 gallon saltwater FOWLR work in progress and desperately need help

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a gift - Lady Hobbs   Have a beer on me - sailor   Fresh outta the Chesapeke...maybe..lol - jbeining75   happy 21st birthday yay - angelcakes   Happy birthday! - Tigerbarb   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - turkey151   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - turkey151   Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - Wild Turkey   Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Wild Turkey   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Wild Turkey   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobodynotime
    assassin snails you speak of the name is pretty bada**, almost oxymoronic. Are they rare to find?
    One my friends said the exact same thing the other day. The other snails you described sound like pond snails, and no assassins arent that rare.

Quote Originally Posted by Outlander
    I got some MTS from a LFS, and believe it or not, I can't find a single one in my tank, and I don't have any fish that will eat snails. I don't have assassin snails either. I don't know what happened to them. Aughhhhh! And I wanted them too, as they are great for working thru the substrate........
    If you have sand they probably buried themselves and or hiding.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks and your first gift!! - The Red Severum   Eggs woo hoo!!! - Gayle   My new buddy.  LOL - Lady Hobbs   because you're always there to help! - gourami*girl   A beer for my fellow canuck! - NickFish   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    Yup sounds like pond snails.There is someone in the forum that sells assassin snails.They may chime in soon!
    Ray Your Freindly Neighborhood,Fully Mod-ified, Self-appointed Pic Hound!! Need pics!!!
    Have you filled out your profile yet ?????????????
    The Fabulous AC ebook Please read>http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander
    I've heard that they can go into like a collective hibernation and won't be around for a while and then all of the sudden *bam* they come back stronger than before. Maybe thats what happened to your snails, but I could be wrong!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Because You Need A Gift - MeganL3985   For Your Green Efforts - MeganL3985   For your great posts! - alfcea   Feliz Navidad !!! - Alfcea   Thank you for always being willing and quick to help - Gemini   

0 Not allowed!
    Puffers shouldn't eat MTS, as their shells are really hard and it could damage their beaks. They should be fed other types of snails, such as pond snails.