· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

How can I agree with you so much.  LOL - Lady Hobbs   for a successful cycle! - fins_n_fur   Caring for your sick fish - C-Dub   Good Luck! - Northernguy   Sorry - William   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - gourami*girl   

Default ADF and female bettas?

0 Not allowed!
    Hello all,

I went with my sister to the LFS today to buy some equipment to set up a 5 gallon betta tank for her dorm room. During this visit she developed some ideas about stocking her tank, and I told her I'd run them by the brilliant betta keepers on here to see if they are feasible.

She saw a vase with an african dwarf frog (ADF) and immediately fell in love. When I told her they can be kept with bettas she was overjoyed and wants to get one for her tank.

She likes female bettas better than the male ones and is interested in getting two if it would be OK.

* So here's the questions:
    1) Would 2 female bettas and an ADF be too much for a 5 gallon tank with a filter approved for up to 15 gallons?
    2) Any suggestions about keeping bettas, ADF's, and both together?
    3) What betta foods would you recommend?
    4) How would you stock this? (ie. two bettas wait then add ADF, or add all together?)

Thanks for your answers in advance!
    20 gallon tank - harlequin rasboras, rummynose tetras, panda corys, one lone pygmy cory that didn't die when the others did.

10 gallon tank - planned planted with tetras and red cherry shrimp?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

I just thought you deserved a gift. - Brookfish   For Some Luck! - Northernguy   A lil fishy to brighten your day. - mollielover   Seasons Greetings, - Brookfish   Thanks! - Wild Turkey   

0 Not allowed!
    two females will not work out. They have to have a pecking order to work and two can't have a pecking order. Sources say that a betta can be paired with a dwarf frog but make sure it is not clawed frog. I have never tried it myself and haven't had much luck pairing bettas even the females, despite my betta experience. I have been keeping bettas since I was a kid and have tried quite a few females and find that they don't pair together like people say. I have a few females who wont pair with anything. Though I have not tried a dwarf frog with them. I can almost guarantee that two of my ladies would not have it. Though if you could find a betta breeder to buy from, sometimes they keep their females together and they are sometimes already being kept in community tanks or betta sororities. That could work out much better. Though I know finding a breeder is not always the easiest thing to do. And most new to the hobby could care less about that. But as with anything, it depends on the betta. So in conclusion, after all the ripped up fins I have seen with my trying to pair, I would say tell her to try the frog but not more than one betta. Hope this helps some. :)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the awards! - Northernguy   Active! - Wild Turkey   Really nice Syno pic! - Brookfish   Merry Christmas ! - Northernguy   Have a great Christmas! - Demi ^_^   

0 Not allowed!
    I agree...two females won't work. A five gallon is probably big enough for one Betta. I have five females in a 10gal. tank, and that is working well. Don't suppose there's roonm at the dorm to go for a 10 gal instead?
    I feed all my Bettas a varied diet including betta flakes, pellets, bloodworm, mysis shrimp, and peas.
    Sharon

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

How can I agree with you so much.  LOL - Lady Hobbs   for a successful cycle! - fins_n_fur   Caring for your sick fish - C-Dub   Good Luck! - Northernguy   Sorry - William   

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the responses.

She's already bought everything for the 5 gallon, and it was a spare tank that I gave her, so it does look like she'll be sticking with the 5 gallon.

I'll let her know what you both said about two female bettas being a problem. We'll see about the ADF, she really likes the idea but evidently her roommate is "freaked out by frogs."

Thanks again for the advice!
    20 gallon tank - harlequin rasboras, rummynose tetras, panda corys, one lone pygmy cory that didn't die when the others did.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 5 gallon with a male betta and an ADF along with 4 dwarf platys and a mystery snail. They are all getting along VERY well!

30 Gallon - Community
    5.5 Gallon - Betta and Friends
    1 Gallon - African Dwarf Frog and Snail

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Hmm, interesting thought...

What would everyone think of a female betta and another type of small fish in the five gallon? My LFS just starting carrying pygmy cories (SO CUTE!!!) although my sis wasn't as enammored with them as I was, lol.

But to give her some options if her roommate really is that against a frog, could she do some small tetras like neons or glolights or pygmy cories as mentioned before? (I haven't seen dwarf plattys, but I'll check next time we're there)

Thanks!

Edit: also, should everyone go in at the same time, or should she stock little by little if she goes this route (or even with the betta and ADF)
    Last edited by gourami*girl; 11-16-2008 at 02:46 AM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

I just thought you deserved a gift. - Brookfish   For Some Luck! - Northernguy   A lil fishy to brighten your day. - mollielover   Seasons Greetings, - Brookfish   Thanks! - Wild Turkey   

0 Not allowed!
    Five gallon gives such limited options as to what can go in there. I definitely don't think pairing the females in there will work because there would have to be three or more and they would constantly be in each others face.A pygmy cory could definitely work. Most bettas leave bottom feeders be but certainly not all. She will have to make sure she has something to do with one if the pair doesn't work. I have one female who pairs with practically anything. She has been in with cherry barbs, bleeding heart tetras, gold barbs and cardinals. Right now she is with the bleeding hearts and the barbs.

I would say definitely add the betta last. Same thing goes for pairing females together or with other species. That way she wont have a chance to be territorial. However, it may not work still. It all depends on the betta. I have had it go off without a hitch, and have had some ripped up fish. But be optimistic. It could definitely work. I went back and forth before I tried. Like I said I have some "killer" bettas and some who could care less about there tank mates.

What I meant with pairing females is that it is best done when the tank is new to everyone.:) Sorry about not making sense there. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by gourami*girl
    Hmm, interesting thought...

What would everyone think of a female betta and another type of small fish in the five gallon? My LFS just starting carrying pygmy cories (SO CUTE!!!) although my sis wasn't as enammored with them as I was, lol.

But to give her some options if her roommate really is that against a frog, could she do some small tetras like neons or glolights or pygmy cories as mentioned before? (I haven't seen dwarf plattys, but I'll check next time we're there)

Thanks!

Edit: also, should everyone go in at the same time, or should she stock little by little if she goes this route (or even with the betta and ADF)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985   Merry Christmas! - RichBowyer   right back at ya bud, Merry X-mas - Kuli_Loach   Drive your very own subway home for christmas! - Matt23   Have a drink on me - Dave66   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - OscarFan   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - OscarFan   

0 Not allowed!
    Like Oscars it varies on the beta if they will pair or not. But female betas get substantially larger and I would not put 2 in a 5g. I would also not put any schoolers in a 5g because they are often quite active and a 5g does not have a whole lot of room. ADF are very cool and cute animals. Even if yo hate frogs it is easy to fall in love with these little guys. in a 5g with good filtration you could get 2 and possibly even 3. Just make sure the tank is covered really well, or the roommate might actually have something to be freaked out about.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks and your first gift!! - The Red Severum   Eggs woo hoo!!! - Gayle   My new buddy.  LOL - Lady Hobbs   because you're always there to help! - gourami*girl   A beer for my fellow canuck! - NickFish   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    I tried 2 female betas in a 10gal. with an apple snail.They teamed up and tore the feelers off of him.They were just mean hunters.
    I got rid of them when I put tetras in the tank and they killed 3 of them in a few hrs.I have had more luck with males.
    A 5gal would be good for one male and some shrimp or a small apple snail.
    Its too small for tetras.
    Ray Your Freindly Neighborhood,Fully Mod-ified, Self-appointed Pic Hound!! Need pics!!!
    Have you filled out your profile yet ?????????????
    The Fabulous AC ebook Please read>http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks again for all the comments,

I'll try to steer her towards pygmy cories or an ADF to go with her betta. We'll probably go to the LFS on Tuesday to pick her fish up. I'll keep you all updated on how her tank is doing!