· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Question will shrimp try to eat snails?

0 Not allowed!
    I have a goldfish tank that is usually 70 degrees (with one gourami). it's heavily planted, and starting to get a little bit of algae. we are getting some cherri shrimp tomorow, but I wanted to get some snails also because I hear they will eat dead leaves and are good for cool water. does anyone know if shrimp will eat the snails? or poke them or something? I've tried keeping the snails in other tanks, but fish just seam to like poking them!

Awards Showcase

You need a gift - Lady Hobbs Have a beer on me - sailor Fresh outta the Chesapeke...maybe..lol - jbeining75 happy 21st birthday yay - angelcakes Happy birthday! - Tigerbarb 
    Thanks for the congrats...decided to share my wealth LOL - Fishalicious For helping AC with profiles! - William Welcome Back xxx - Fishalicious Good to see you back on. Gotta give one for a local. - oldhead Have  beer on me! Its the weekend. - northernguy 
    Same to you! - NickFish Happy thanksgiving! Enjoy your algae stay away from turkey! : ) - The Red Severum For being so welcoming to a newbie. - Brookfish A Little Extra Luck For You! - Northernguy This one moves! LOL - Wild Turkey 
    For being a great contributor to the community - ILuvMyGoldBarb for driving participation in the forum - Gemini for breaking your winning streak - mrs fishpatrick here tuck in LOL - mrs fishpatrick FOR TEACHING ME SO MUCH - waterhog 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - turkey151 Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - turkey151 Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - Wild Turkey Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Wild Turkey Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Wild Turkey 
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Wild Turkey 

0 Not allowed!
    Shrimp wont eat snails, however the gourami may eat the shrimp and possibly the goldfish may as well.(not sure on them, hate them.)

Across the great pond from the state of Seattle

Awards Showcase

have an octopus - angelcakes a clownfish for your super sense of humor!!!! - ladyoutlaw50 doning the superman suit - Lady Hobbs Let's have a Drink ;) - Fishalicious For the wife! - Lady Hobbs 
    thanks buddy for your help - angelcakes somebody gotta show you love :) - The Red Severum Thanks for all your help with my cherries!! Crawfish was the closest to a CS - Gemini Thanks for the photo lesson! - northernguy Have a drink on me.. hope tomorrow is a better day x - Fishalicious 
    welcome back! - Jacko 

0 Not allowed!
    Goldfish will eat both the snails and the shrimp if they will fit in it's mouth. Or they will pick at larger snails until they die. The Gourami (which I suggest you move to another tank) will eat the shrimp. I used to use goldfish to clean a tank of snail infestations before I got into live plants and found out that snails are a really cool animal.

Also Cherry shrimp don't do well in a goldfish tank due to the waste. Cherries can be killed by high ammonia, nitrite, and Nitrate all of which goldfish and their waste produce in leaps and bounds.
    This posting was approved by:
    William S. Burt

All words in this post are completly fictional, any resemblence to actual words is strictly a cowinky dink. No Animals were harmed in the making of this post. Now as far as Humans go there were probably a few hurt and maybe even killed. Please do not copy and paste this post with out the expressed written consent of the owner. Quoting is allowed but only too boost the owners already over inflated ego.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sounguru
    Goldfish will eat both the snails and the shrimp if they will fit in it's mouth. Or they will pick at larger snails until they die. The Gourami (which I suggest you move to another tank) will eat the shrimp. I used to use goldfish to clean a tank of snail infestations before I got into live plants and found out that snails are a really cool animal.

Also Cherry shrimp don't do well in a goldfish tank due to the waste. Cherries can be killed by high ammonia, nitrite, and Nitrate all of which goldfish and their waste produce in leaps and bounds.
    ya, that's what I was thinking too...we'll get a couple shrimp and see whats up, it's all cycled and low in nitrate, maybe because of the plants, so far, it's only been running for a mounth though. if the gourami eats them I'm not sure what else I can put in there that will clean the leaves since it's pretty cold in there. I used to have snails in my other goldie tank and they just got poked a lot because well goldies poke everything (had to move them because my frog tries to eat them) they're just to big to be injested but that's all that's going for them, but the goldies basicly avoid them since they know their not food (I hope that's why). I've never had shrimp before... or a gourami, the tank isn't mine, someone else brought the gourami because the pet store guy said that they do well with goldies. why should it be moved? (not saying your wrong, I'm just curious) it's a 55 gal with 2 5-inch comets.

Awards Showcase

You need a gift - Lady Hobbs Have a beer on me - sailor Fresh outta the Chesapeke...maybe..lol - jbeining75 happy 21st birthday yay - angelcakes Happy birthday! - Tigerbarb 
    Thanks for the congrats...decided to share my wealth LOL - Fishalicious For helping AC with profiles! - William Welcome Back xxx - Fishalicious Good to see you back on. Gotta give one for a local. - oldhead Have  beer on me! Its the weekend. - northernguy 
    Same to you! - NickFish Happy thanksgiving! Enjoy your algae stay away from turkey! : ) - The Red Severum For being so welcoming to a newbie. - Brookfish A Little Extra Luck For You! - Northernguy This one moves! LOL - Wild Turkey 
    For being a great contributor to the community - ILuvMyGoldBarb for driving participation in the forum - Gemini for breaking your winning streak - mrs fishpatrick here tuck in LOL - mrs fishpatrick FOR TEACHING ME SO MUCH - waterhog 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - turkey151 Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - turkey151 Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - Wild Turkey Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Wild Turkey Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Wild Turkey 
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Wild Turkey 

0 Not allowed!
    If you move the gourami to a warmer tank and provde lots of hiding places shrimp may do okay with him. Mystery snails get pretty big and will be okay in with the goldfish for a while without getting eaten, they can live in water down to 65 F, it makes them live alot longer too but they are somewhat less active. Later when the comets get big enough to eat them you can move to them to another tank.

Across the great pond from the state of Seattle

Awards Showcase

have an octopus - angelcakes a clownfish for your super sense of humor!!!! - ladyoutlaw50 doning the superman suit - Lady Hobbs Let's have a Drink ;) - Fishalicious For the wife! - Lady Hobbs 
    thanks buddy for your help - angelcakes somebody gotta show you love :) - The Red Severum Thanks for all your help with my cherries!! Crawfish was the closest to a CS - Gemini Thanks for the photo lesson! - northernguy Have a drink on me.. hope tomorrow is a better day x - Fishalicious 
    welcome back! - Jacko 

0 Not allowed!
    Gouramis are a tropical fish and usually likethe water a lot warmer. Also I'm surprised the goldies haven't picked at his long fins.
    This posting was approved by:
    William S. Burt

All words in this post are completly fictional, any resemblence to actual words is strictly a cowinky dink. No Animals were harmed in the making of this post. Now as far as Humans go there were probably a few hurt and maybe even killed. Please do not copy and paste this post with out the expressed written consent of the owner. Quoting is allowed but only too boost the owners already over inflated ego.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    ok, I was just worried about the whole thing and decided to go with some baby plecos for now, I would have gone with them in the first place but I thought they would get too big and not clean the leaves. they are working on the leaves now, so it'll be ok for a while. I'm going to try the snails too, they seam to be very picky about water contitons so I'm just working on improving the water hardness now, thanks for the help you guys!

0 Not allowed!
    Shrimp and snails don't usually survive long in a tank with gouramis. If you have even tempered gouramis you might be able to pull it off. Otherwise they will rapidly go after the invertebrates.

A few years ago I had a 75G gourami tank that had a few blue-spot/yellow, and 2 snakeskin gouramis. The snakeskins got to be about 7-8 inches long and were voracious when it came to snails. I would often pick them out of my other tanks and toss them in as treats. Just about every time the snails were gone before the shell hit the gravel.
    75G Coldwater Setup (May 2011)
    Angelfish Fry Development Project

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic
    Shrimp and snails don't usually survive long in a tank with gouramis. If you have even tempered gouramis you might be able to pull it off. Otherwise they will rapidly go after the invertebrates.

A few years ago I had a 75G gourami tank that had a few blue-spot/yellow, and 2 snakeskin gouramis. The snakeskins got to be about 7-8 inches long and were voracious when it came to snails. I would often pick them out of my other tanks and toss them in as treats. Just about every time the snails were gone before the shell hit the gravel.
    our gourami is the dwarf kind I think, it's only an inch and a half long. so far everything seams to be ignoring the snails, but I only put a few in because I was afraid they'd get eaten, this is what the tank looks like:

0 Not allowed!
    The Shrimp Will Only Go After The Snails Eggs But They Dont Got The Guts To Do Anything Bigger