· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Much appreciate the myth-busting about goldfish... and the added commentaries. I started out with two healthy and (I found out later) an unhealthy fantails. The unhealthy one I (luckily) moved to another tank. He`s dead now and his two buddies are doing fine. Salt couldn`t help the first but I may be adding some to the tank of the remaining two... especially if any spots appear! Thanks again.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    One bone to pick here.... Regarding cold water... The exotic varieties of Goldfish cannot live in water temps. below 72˙F -- they develop all sorts of health problems (especially swim bladder issues), are lethargic, etc. Basically, any Goldie variety that would not do well in a pond environment should be kept at temps. of 74-78˙F. Examples: bubble eyes, celestials, wakins, lionheads, albinos (except Comets), ranchus, pearlscales, pompoms, jikins. On the other hand, Comets & Shubunkins & common fantails do best in water temps. below 74˙F.

Salt.... Never use it (I've been keeping Goldies for over 20yrs.). Though, many swear by its healing and preventative properties, I just haven't seen any evidence to that effect in my own experiences. I've had some Goldies for 10+ yrs. and they've never been sick without the use of salt. IME .... For Ich (seen only in new acquisitions), I have always used QuickCure. Most fish were rid of Ich in 24hrs. Usually treated them at full dose for 36hrs. and then at half dose for the rest of the week (5 days total treatment) and then put them in medication free water for a few days to monitor them, but never had a case of reinfection. Again, IME...

Just my 2¢.
    Last edited by Fizgig; 11-03-2011 at 09:44 AM.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom Great advice thanks - nraposa Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09 Always good answers - Lady Hobbs You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09 
    Thanks for your help again. - Lady Hobbs goodbye reptileguy....hello Fishguy - Lady Hobbs For always giving me great answere's on my PM's. Thanks for all the help! - cocoa_pleco Thanks For Your Help & Knowledge! :) - MeganL3985 For weakening me against axolotls!!!!!!! - Nick_Pavlovski 
    I am baking today and figured I'd share...Thanks for Always Helping when it's needed! - **AquaQueen** For recommending Fluvals and Stealths - Lady Hobbs Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985 Merry Christmas! - RichBowyer Thanks for the hikari help - Billythefish 
    No Message - LORENZO Merry Christmas - Northernguy merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO Merry X-Mas!! - The Red Severum 

0 Not allowed!
    High quality food and water will prevent 95% of the problems you would have otherwise encountered. However, if problems do arise, in addition to extra water changes, goldfish respond very well to salt treatments. IMO it should be on hand for any goldfish keeper.
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist
    Owner: Aquarium Maintenance Company
    Brian's Aquarium Care: Articles about many aspects of aquarium care.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    im really worried about the temperature thing goodthing i found the answer to my question but is it the same thing to the fry? cold water if i put cold water in their tank like 65-66 f? because i always get cold water from the faucet in any season

0 Not allowed!
    Aya, You don't have cold and hot faucets?
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in