· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom Great advice thanks - nraposa Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09 Always good answers - Lady Hobbs You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09 
    Thanks for your help again. - Lady Hobbs goodbye reptileguy....hello Fishguy - Lady Hobbs For always giving me great answere's on my PM's. Thanks for all the help! - cocoa_pleco Thanks For Your Help & Knowledge! :) - MeganL3985 For weakening me against axolotls!!!!!!! - Nick_Pavlovski 
    I am baking today and figured I'd share...Thanks for Always Helping when it's needed! - **AquaQueen** For recommending Fluvals and Stealths - Lady Hobbs Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985 Merry Christmas! - RichBowyer Thanks for the hikari help - Billythefish 
    No Message - LORENZO Merry Christmas - Northernguy merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO Merry X-Mas!! - The Red Severum 

0 Not allowed!
    Ich is not a disease I would make a conclusion like that based on. Fish are immune to it until stressed. If they were stressed by something (slightly bad temp during water change for example) it might stress them just enough to allow that one spot of ich to develop but the fish recovered on its own well enough to fight it off without assistance. If the salt was killing the ich it would not have started growing in the first place. If the salt wasn't too much to keep the ich from growing it wasn't enough to kill it.
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist
    Owner: Aquarium Maintenance Company
    Brian's Aquarium Care: Articles about many aspects of aquarium care.

0 Not allowed!
    Personally, I would even question if it was even Ich.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom Great advice thanks - nraposa Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09 Always good answers - Lady Hobbs You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09 
    Thanks for your help again. - Lady Hobbs goodbye reptileguy....hello Fishguy - Lady Hobbs For always giving me great answere's on my PM's. Thanks for all the help! - cocoa_pleco Thanks For Your Help & Knowledge! :) - MeganL3985 For weakening me against axolotls!!!!!!! - Nick_Pavlovski 
    I am baking today and figured I'd share...Thanks for Always Helping when it's needed! - **AquaQueen** For recommending Fluvals and Stealths - Lady Hobbs Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985 Merry Christmas! - RichBowyer Thanks for the hikari help - Billythefish 
    No Message - LORENZO Merry Christmas - Northernguy merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO Merry X-Mas!! - The Red Severum 

0 Not allowed!
    What are you thinking Goldbarb?
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist

0 Not allowed!
    I'm not entirely sure what they are, but I've seen things like this on numerous occasions. It looks almost like a slightly oversized Ich cyst but it is just one and it only occurs on a fin and it is gone within a couple of days. I've never had one on my own fish, but I've seen them in stores many times.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    You could be right..but who really knows for sure? All I know is that there are numerous proponants for regular low level salting so there must be some benefit right?...For me, my fish and tank are healthy so it's obviously not harming them. That much I do know.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Just because you don't see a major issue immediately doesn't mean it's not harming them. The effects of constant salt use are long term and internal, like smoking. I believe someone else on the forum had an article on exactly that published in an aquarium magazine. These are freshwater fish, they don't need salt.
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm not saying they NEED it. I agree with you. But there is a reason that it's been advocated in the first place so somewhere along the line there must have been some observed benefit. I'm a chemist so I understand osmosis ect..so maybe its related to that theory, plus the disease remedy angles. I can't beleive that all the benefits have been just perceived.
    What are the long term ill effects on the fish? This I don't know but maybe you do..I'd like to get that insight

Arrow

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen Master Gold
    All I know is that there are numerous proponants for regular low level salting so there must be some benefit right?...
    No,This is not a solid basis for your argument, It is Argumentum ad Populum [Def. B]

[I have no dog in this fight but It's frustrating seeing logical fallacies put up as valid arguments to support a position. ]
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino 

0 Not allowed!
    Perhaps since the discussion is moving away from goldfish and towards salt in general, the sticky on Dispelling Some Myths about Adding Salt to FW Aquariums should be considered.
    300 gallon mega tank: build in progress
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp
    70 gallon growout tank: clown loaches, sailfin pleco
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish
    29 gallon frog tank: 1 bullfrog
    10 gallon and 5.5 gallon betta tanks: 1 male betta each, sometimes snails

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Brhino, that is what I was thinking of. That article should speak for itself.
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist