· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Your first gift - korith   No Message - s72450   

Default Filter Media Wanted...

0 Not allowed!
    In an effort to cycle more quickly I've been looking for filter media. I don't really know anyone else with fish and my local fish store does not sell or give out their filter media since they need it to cycle new tanks.

I know it's a long shot, but I figured I'd ask if anyone here could help me out.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a gift - Lady Hobbs   Have a beer on me - sailor   Fresh outta the Chesapeke...maybe..lol - jbeining75   happy 21st birthday yay - angelcakes   Happy birthday! - Tigerbarb   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - turkey151   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - turkey151   Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - Wild Turkey   Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Wild Turkey   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Wild Turkey   

0 Not allowed!
    Honestly, the two weeks or so it would take to seed a new media + another week to send it to you isnt really worth it. You can cycle your tank using ammonia the old fashioned way in that period with a little luck(if u havent already added fish). It can take a little as a week, though its rare.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks and your first gift!! - The Red Severum   Eggs woo hoo!!! - Gayle   My new buddy.  LOL - Lady Hobbs   because you're always there to help! - gourami*girl   A beer for my fellow canuck! - NickFish   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    Show a little patience ! LOL Your almost there.
    Ray Your Freindly Neighborhood,Fully Mod-ified, Self-appointed Pic Hound!! Need pics!!!
    Have you filled out your profile yet ?????????????
    The Fabulous AC ebook Please read>http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Silly me forgot about the tank that I used to house a betta in before I moved him. The tank was just a 1.5g and had been sitting there for months. I decided to check the levels in it and noticed that the Nitrate levels were well over 80 on the chart.

Would it be helpful to bag up some of the rocks and put them in my uncycled tank? I'm not sure how to go about that or what to put the media in.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a gift - Lady Hobbs   Have a beer on me - sailor   Fresh outta the Chesapeke...maybe..lol - jbeining75   happy 21st birthday yay - angelcakes   Happy birthday! - Tigerbarb   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - turkey151   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - turkey151   Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - Wild Turkey   Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Wild Turkey   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Wild Turkey   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by s72450
    Silly me forgot about the tank that I used to house a betta in before I moved him. The tank was just a 1.5g and had been sitting there for months. I decided to check the levels in it and noticed that the Nitrate levels were well over 80 on the chart.

Would it be helpful to bag up some of the rocks and put them in my uncycled tank? I'm not sure how to go about that or what to put the media in.
    Are there fish in it right now? If there hasnt been for a few months the nitrates are probably just sitting in there, its unlikely that the bacteria is still alive. If however it is, its better to take the filter media than some gravel if there are no fish in the other tank. (crud in the bottom decaying over time can produce the ammonia needed to maintain the cycle so its possible)

GL we all know how difficult the wait can be

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    There was a small female betta in there that I was keeping for a friend but I took her out yesterday and moved her to a heated tank.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    There was a small female betta in there that I was keeping for a friend but I took her out yesterday and moved her to a heated tank.
    That will help then yes, take the filter media though like i said, or even the whole filter

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    This tank did not have a filter.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    This tank did not have a filter.
    Ohhh thats a whole nother story. Yea you can take the gravel, bag it in an old piece of pantyhose or similar and put it in the new tank so you can remove it easily later.

I would leave it tho, without a filter theres probably no bacteria in the old tank so ur just chancing introducing disease and whatnot.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Okay I'll just leave it. I'd rather wait than chance disease in my tank.