· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Question Time to replace stock HO T5 bulbs, but in which config?

0 Not allowed!
    This is the setup: Freshwater / 20 gal long lightly planted / easy-medium light plants. Coralife HO T5 30" lamp. No CO2.

It came with a 10,000K and Actinic bulb. One is burned out so time to replace both. So I was wondering if the 10,000k + Actinic is more suited for saltwater and maybe 2 6,700k replacements might be better? According to the Coralife website the 6,700k is "ideal" for planted FW.

I don't want to give all the occupants sunburn by amping up the daylight in such a shallow tank. Since one of my current is the Actinic 'bluelight', if you see where I'm thinking on this...

please share your experience, BTW all 4 types are listed at the same wattage (31) so it really comes down to brightness and the color spectrum. Thanks

Shrimp and snail junkie... What can I say, I like the little things in life.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    PS it appears it's the 10,000K that died in case someone is going to tell me the Actinic will last 2x as long as the other, meaning i really only need 1 for now. Not sure if that's true, but I'm not surprised by anything anymore.

0 Not allowed!
    Some people have good luck using a 10,000K bulb, but I have always had very good luck using a 6700K bulb in my planted tanks. I would suggest a 6500 to 6700K bulb. Any higher and you run the risk of trying to maintain a good enough balance to aviod algae problems. You could even add a Fuji pink bulb to help bring out the colors of your fish better if you have a double bulb fixture.

Actinc lighting is a marine bulb and I would not suggest using one in a fresh water set-up. The bluer the color spectrum, and the more algae you will get in a fresh water set-up
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Awesome, Thanks!! That's what I wanted to hear. After nobody replied last night I said screw it and ordered 2 6700k replacements. This makes me feel better about my purchase.

I keep Olive Nerite Snails in my tank, so never had any algae problems after I bought them. (or i think that's what they're called. algae eating machines!)