· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Living in Victoria, Canada; Born in Mexico City

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My neons and other fishies thank you for your help!! - fishymommy   For the good health of your plants and their strong growth! - W_Oz   have a guppy, lol, we have about 60 fry - labnjab   ahh you need more gifts!! - The Red Severum   Why have I never gave you a gift?! - Tolley   

Default Does Java Moss blossom?

0 Not allowed!
    Hello you guys,

I think it doesn't, right? But my Java moss is growing some weird thingies that I never saw before... and was wondering if any of you would know what they are. I don't have any pictures, but they look like stiff strings coming off of it and at the end, they have like a "head". Very much like stiff fishing lines with a bait at the end... Neither the plant, nor the fish seem to mind it, but they look kinda odd... what are they? I'm pretty sure they are normal... I recently started fertilizing with fluorish excel to treat a bba infestation I was getting, and I think that might have something to do with it...

Any information will be greatly appreciated....
    By Alfredo Franco-Cea
    30 gallon tank -- low light -- tannin stained water
    FAUNA: 7 zebra danios; 5 neon tetras; one male green swordtail; 2 female adult platies (plus fry); 6 bleeding heart tetras; 6 false rummy nose tetras
    FLORA: Anubias, Java Moss, Ceratophyllum, Java Fern, WindelÝv's Fern

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

tribute to digga r.i.p - angelcakes   Your Awesome! - Tolley   happy easter to me........LOL - angelcakes   Thank you for the nomination and sorry for the fishy - Billythefish   Probably the nicest members on the forum... - Goshawk   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - angelcakes   HIV/AIDS - angelcakes   

0 Not allowed!
    are you able to post pics..........?
    angelcakes (penny)
    "The big fish eats the small one."
    -- Sephardic saying

chat link
    http://theaquaticlounge.chatango.com/

Living in Victoria, Canada; Born in Mexico City

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My neons and other fishies thank you for your help!! - fishymommy   For the good health of your plants and their strong growth! - W_Oz   have a guppy, lol, we have about 60 fry - labnjab   ahh you need more gifts!! - The Red Severum   Why have I never gave you a gift?! - Tolley   

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    Ok,ok....

I know that I started this thread loooong ago (Please Cocoa, aka "Old thread police", do not close this thread ) and never actually continued it. I do not have a camera or the skills to take good pictures, but it seems that I finally know what it is! I'm very happy!
    I found this website. The pictures look exactly the same as the weird "fishing rods" that I described in the post above... and now I know that what I have is actually Christmass moss! Now, that's exciting!!! ...

I also liked the phrase that says:
    ...If you have many capsules growing in your mosses, it would mean there's a lot of wild sex taking place in your tank...
    So... My tank is now x-rated!

Sorry, I just needed to tell you guys this... I am happy today!
    By Alfredo Franco-Cea
    30 gallon tank -- low light -- tannin stained water
    FAUNA: 7 zebra danios; 5 neon tetras; one male green swordtail; 2 female adult platies (plus fry); 6 bleeding heart tetras; 6 false rummy nose tetras
    FLORA: Anubias, Java Moss, Ceratophyllum, Java Fern, WindelÝv's Fern

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Bling Bling - William   Better if you get a gift from me! - Rue   fish, not just a hobby - Algenco   Buddy - Algenco   So sorry - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    Hmmm, now I might have to find some Christmas moss. Looks a lot better than my java moss. As of right now, my moss is out of control. I may drop my backdrop, and put in some netting for my moss to adhere too. Though, I would prefer to use x-mas moss for this, my java moss will work nicely too. Wonder what my tank would look like with a java wall....trying to visualize this.

Glad your moss is reproducing. I have waaaaay more than I can use.
    75 gallon planted tank with discus, GBR's and cardinals

135 gallon saltwater FOWLR work in progress and desperately need help