· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Thread: FW Clams

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your first article and sticky! - fins_n_fur   For being a nice person. - Brookfish   For my fellow Missourian! - Corndawg   For the holidays : ) - lovleeko   Merry Xmas! - Corndawg   

Default FW Clams

0 Not allowed!
    This summer I got some clams out of a local lake and put them in my empty 2gal. I was wondering if I put them in my tank would they hurt my fish?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

god im hungry - cocoa_pleco   You make me laugh! - Drumachine09   And lots of pizza too! lol - Chrona   wish i had some of this to drink right now - cocoa_pleco   DAAAAAM, this drink looks good - cocoa_pleco   
    Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - cocoa_pleco   Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - cocoa_pleco   Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - cocoa_pleco   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - cocoa_pleco   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - cocoa_pleco   

0 Not allowed!
    they could possibly bring in disease

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your first article and sticky! - fins_n_fur   For being a nice person. - Brookfish   For my fellow Missourian! - Corndawg   For the holidays : ) - lovleeko   Merry Xmas! - Corndawg   

0 Not allowed!
    Thats why i put them in my 2 gal w/o fish. They have been in there a couple months so I didnt know if they could be "cleaned out" or not.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a gift!  Here's a little guy to look over your posts ;) - Fishalicious   Because you advice well... - Alfcea   Happy Holidays! - Northernguy   taking the time to answer my question - gabbyguppy   Recent Posts\Contributions - Taurus   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mollielover
    Thats why i put them in my 2 gal w/o fish. They have been in there a couple months so I didnt know if they could be "cleaned out" or not.
    I would think you'll need to treat said tank with broad spectrum antibiotics and such. And start to introduce them to your tank conditions by filling their tank with water from the main tank a little at a time. Also, make sure the main tank water is good for the (over 7 ph, good kh and gh, etc)

--chris

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by terrapin24h
    I would think you'll need to treat said tank with broad spectrum antibiotics and such. And start to introduce them to your tank conditions by filling their tank with water from the main tank a little at a time. Also, make sure the main tank water is good for the (over 7 ph, good kh and gh, etc)

--chris
    I was wondering what you meant by broad spectrum antibiotics?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a gift!  Here's a little guy to look over your posts ;) - Fishalicious   Because you advice well... - Alfcea   Happy Holidays! - Northernguy   taking the time to answer my question - gabbyguppy   Recent Posts\Contributions - Taurus   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mollielover
    I was wondering what you meant by broad spectrum antibiotics?
    A broad spectrum anitbiot is one that can treat many different families of bacteria(If my bio is correct, they can treat gram neg and gram pos bacteria). Simply put, "they kill lots of stuff". BUT, they can also wallop your biological filter, which is why you generally only want to apply them to a Hosp tank. Amoxacillin is an example of a broad spectrum antibiotic. HTH

--chris

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

god im hungry - cocoa_pleco   You make me laugh! - Drumachine09   And lots of pizza too! lol - Chrona   wish i had some of this to drink right now - cocoa_pleco   DAAAAAM, this drink looks good - cocoa_pleco   
    Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - cocoa_pleco   Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - cocoa_pleco   Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - cocoa_pleco   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - cocoa_pleco   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - cocoa_pleco   

0 Not allowed!
    yep, youre right, broad spectrums kill either gram negative or gram positive bacteria

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I wouldn't put them in with fish.

I did that once with a large FW mussel... killed my Betta within a few days...

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to AC - Lady Hobbs   Thanks for being a nice person! ...and the fiendship! :-) - digital3   Thanks for ID'ing my Apisto - Spyder   youre always so nice! - cocoa_pleco   Merry Christmas Jess :) - MeganL3985   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Fishalicious   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Fishalicious   Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - Fishalicious   HIV/AIDS - Fishalicious   

0 Not allowed!
    I have kept both mussels and clams without any problems with my fish however mine were bought in the store and not caught in the wild....
    My own Fish Blog
    Small Fish for Small Tanks

'The measure of kindness is that you are kind without measure'