· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: GARS

1. Default GARS

0 Not allowed!
    does anyone know about gars, and the different kinds there are all i know about are spotted gars and the one i had my australian blue lobster ate it...is that normal?

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    yes australian blue lobsters (yabbies) commonly eat fish they should not be kept with fish it is a big risk, as to the knowledge about gars, ill look some stuff up for u

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Habitat - They inhabit sluggish, sometimes poorly oxygenated water, backwaters and oxbows of medium-to-large rivers and lakes. Longnose gars as well as other gar species are able to tolerate poor water quality by breathing air through its air bladder. They usually are found near vegetation and occasionally in brackish waters.

Spawning Habits - Spawning occurs between December and March in Florida. Adhesive eggs are scattered in shallow water over vegetation or other structure and hatch between six and eight days later. The larvae attaches themselves to the substrate shortly after hatching by means of a disk-like organ on the tip of the snout while the fish continues to develop. The attachment organ subsequently is lost as the fish develops into an adult.

Feeding Habits - Young fish mainly feed on zooplankton while larger ones feed on small fishes, frogs and crustaceans. They feed by stalking their prey or lying in wait for it to come within striking distance.

Age and Growth - Females grow faster, bigger, and live longer than males and can attain lengths in excess of five feet.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    yes it is true, the lobsters are evil, judging by the amount of fish mine has eaten...it is now worth $120. But it was one of the first "fish" i got, and it seems that it can only grab gar shape fish so my parrot fish and oscar are safe. Thanks for the info on gars tho it was more than expected =-)

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    anytime i can help ;)