· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Default Flame tetra fat or pregnant or what?!

0 Not allowed!
    Hi guys!

2 of my flame tetras have got fat the last week or so, I'm not sure if they have got eggs or what! Just started feeding them NLS 2 weeks ago (finally found where I could get some here in Oz), they have coloured up fantastically, just 2 of the flame tetras (and 2 danios actually too) have got FAT!

Here's a couple of pics (sorry, not really good, my camer is not made for taking shots of fish, LOL, I usually get a big white blob of the flash in the middle so these are better than that!)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by fraggle; 10-23-2008 at 03:56 AM.

Awards Showcase

Have a martini on me fellow western marylander - jbeining75 thank you so much my puffer and i are very happy - Angila Heres one! :D - Wild Turkey nice plecos - KingFisher For all your advice  thanks - Celtic Fins 
    for your kind comments. - Celtic Fins Merry Christmas - Northernguy Awesome help with my loaches - R2 Ranch Seasons Greetings. Have a great Christmas - Celtic Fins Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill 
    Happy New year - Celtic Fins May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins 2001 posts! - Northernguy For your helpful fry advice - Cliff Its not a featherfin but thanks for the info!lol - Northernguy 
    Merry Christmas!!!!  :) - Ellen4God 

0 Not allowed!
    I feed mine NLS pellets once daily, a couple are fatter than the rest. They may be gravid females, or just fatter fish. If they are gravid and spawn the eggs/fry will be eaten rather quickly.

0 Not allowed!
    I wouldn't have thought it was bloat simply because it was the NLS I am feeding them! (mind you I've never seen bloat, but they are as happy and active as all the others, just fat!)

I feed mine once a day too, they love the stuff, go nuts for it. If it is bloat, can you do anything? (Ok scrap that, I'm sure there is a thread somewhere here on that)
    I'll keep an eye on them and see if the fatness dissapears or if there seems to be any spawning happeing, but I know your right toddnbecka, they'll get eaten very quick, so I won't have too many fish to deal with LOL.

0 Not allowed!
    You can always try feeding them some soft peas in case they are having digestive problems. I also have Flame Tetras, but none of mine are so rotund. Maybe your fatties are females full of eggs?

Edit - What happened to their fins?

6. Default von rios

0 Not allowed!
    Those babies are ready and anxious to breed. You probably have eggs or fry by now. They are very healthy. You are doing it right.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    hi ive got a flame tetra that i think might be ready to drop her eggs she is really fat and her belly is lumpy could any 1 please tell me if that means she ready or whether theres something a matter with her

8. Default Response

0 Not allowed!
    I would say your fish is maturing. When they get older the eggs in there body become more visible.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hey what up!
    I got 6 flame tetras, they are nice, and some of them are getting fat... so, could you give some update?

0 Not allowed!
    Your likely not going to get much of a up-date. This thread is over 5 year old and the OP has not been here in about 5 years as well

You might want to check the dates of the last post before posting in old threads like this
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]