· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

View Poll Results: when cycling a new tank, do you prefere using fish, or fishless?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • a) fish

13 40.63%
  • b) fishless

19 59.38%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default fish vs fishless

0 Not allowed!
    I dont know what to do. When I set up my first and only tank, I waited 24 hours for the temp to be right, and let the chlorine evaporate out of the water. then added two fish at a time a couple weeks apart. I never lost any fish, and I never even did any tests. when I did finally lose fish it was mostly from old age. I recently lost 4 new fish, after a bout with ich. ( thank you petco) this is 4 years later.

I would like to start a new tank, probably 10 or 15 gallons.

what are the benefits of fishless cycling?

what do you prefer? and why?

also, how long does fishless take?

and, would it go faster with a used filter from my current tank.

oh and my currant tank is 20 gallons, with 2 neon tetras(original from 4 years ago) and 9 platys and about a dozen platy fry :)

thank you all
    Tara
    Fish Are Friends, Not Food.

20 gallon tank 2 platy, 2 neon tetra.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the quote - **AquaQueen**   Message for you sir! - Aeonflame   

0 Not allowed!
    I stated using a fish,with a qualifier.I use media,some gravel and a percentage of water from an established tank.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks and your first gift!! - The Red Severum   Eggs woo hoo!!! - Gayle   My new buddy.  LOL - Lady Hobbs   because you're always there to help! - gourami*girl   A beer for my fellow canuck! - NickFish   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    Fishless is cheaper!
    Like I'm one to talk, I have always gone with fish. Mind you, I knew nothing about the fishless cycle until I joined this place wondering what the hell I was doing wrong.I also only ever lost one fish due to cycling!
    Ray Your Freindly Neighborhood,Fully Mod-ified, Self-appointed Pic Hound!! Need pics!!!
    Have you filled out your profile yet ?????????????
    The Fabulous AC ebook Please read>http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

congrats on MOTM! - Jacko   Another round for my friends - mommy1   Another day, another round for my friends. - mommy1   After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1   Thanks for your kind words in my blog, it really dose help - Cliff   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - The Red Severum   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - The Red Severum   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - The Red Severum   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - The Red Severum   HIV/AIDS - The Red Severum   

0 Not allowed!
    I always do fish cycle but i have one goldfish i use to cycle tanks, that is because i am usually in a rush to get it done, but i would not advise this because i monitor my parameters twice a day in the start of the cycle.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Because You Need A Gift - MeganL3985   For Your Green Efforts - MeganL3985   For your great posts! - alfcea   Feliz Navidad !!! - Alfcea   Thank you for always being willing and quick to help - Gemini   

0 Not allowed!
    I used fish, but if I was to do it again I would do fishless. Less stress on the fish and less water changes.

I only cycled my first tank, since then I have used the established filter in it to start the filters in the other tanks. You only really need to cycle one tank.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

have a pressie :-) - mitcore   Something he doesn't have - Lady Hobbs   Merry Christmas - Lady Hobbs   Donuts are yummy! - AquaBison   Merry Christmas to you as well. - ILuvMyGoldBarb   

0 Not allowed!
    I go fishless. Easier and cheaper, plus there isn't chance of the fish dying.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a gift! Thank you for all your great posts =D - Ryuu   for guessing till your gills turned red!  you deserve one!  lol - KrytterKrys   Have a gift! - Tolley   For all your kind comments. Thank you - Celtic Fins   I thought you needed a front. - Brookfish   

0 Not allowed!
    How is fishless cycling cheaper?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Because You Need A Gift - MeganL3985   For Your Green Efforts - MeganL3985   For your great posts! - alfcea   Feliz Navidad !!! - Alfcea   Thank you for always being willing and quick to help - Gemini   

0 Not allowed!
    Depends on how many fish you kill in the process I guess. But if you get one fish and it survives the cycling then I can't imagine how fishless is cheaper with all the ammonia you have to buy.

I would agree that fishless is heaps easier tho, because with fish you need to do water changes pretty much every day, or if you're lucky every 2 days. And cycling takes longer because of all the water changes so you're looking at about 2 months of daily water changes.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

you need a gift - cocoa_pleco   Thanks for the sump help :) - Blu-ray   For the next fishing season - DragonGoby   for being helpful and nice! - jphonger   To make the difference ;op - DragonGoby   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Sasquatch   

0 Not allowed!
    I've done both and if given the choice, I'll go fishless every time.

The only problem with fishless cycling is finding the ammonia. Once that's done, there are lots of advantages.
    - It's better for the fish: No stressed out, rapidly breathing, lethargic fish.
    - It's faster: 2-3 weeks vs. 6-8. If you use media from your old tank, you can do it in 1 week!
    - No fish you don't want: Danios are great fish, but not everyone wants some in their tanks and most other fish are too sensitive.
    - No daily water changes: One or two big ones at the end to get the nitrates down and you're done. With fishy cycles you often end up doing small daily water changes to keep ammonia and nitrites down.
    - More fish faster: On top of being faster to cycle the tank, once it's cycled you can add more fish at once. In fishy cycling you gradually build up the bioload over several months and each time you risk adding diseases.

That's my take on things, hope it helps.
    My AC Fish Gallery:
    Another gallery with my fish

21 Gallon - 3 Ornate Tetras, 7 Pencilfish, 1 Oto cat, 7 Amano shrimp, 1 Peckoltia brevis, 1 clown pleco
    15 Gallon - 1 clown pleco, 6 threadfin rainbows
    10 Gallon - 7 Galaxy Rasboras, 4 Betta rutilans, Cherry shrimp, 1 Hillstream Loach
    65 Gallon - Cycling!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I actually know a whole aquatic community where pretty much no one ever uses ammonia to cycle a tank. They just put plants and gravel in and leave it all running for about 4-5 weeks, and because of the plants and I guess snails, you get the necessary ammonia to cycle it, without ever adding anything.

But of course after it cycles that way you can only add 2-3 fish at a time. When adding ammonia you can control how much there is and so can safely add more fish at a time.

Btw, if you used established media from another tank, the new tank is instantly cycled and there's no need to wait a week.