· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default ? about Java Moss

0 Not allowed!
    I'm cycling a new 10g tank to eventually be home to dwarf shrimp. I got some Java Moss from my LFS today, just a few sprigs. I put some gravel in a 4 ounce plastic cup from my seasoned 20g tank and placed the Java Moss in the cup. Will the Java Moss grow out of the cup? I have two 20watt bulbs in the hood for light. The light is on for 12 hours per day. My though is that the cup will contain the Java Moss. But my question is will the moss grow ok inside the cup? Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Taurus; 10-21-2008 at 12:35 AM.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The moss will grow just fine in the cup and, given propper nutrition, can stand a longer photoperiod than 12 hours which will make it grow faster. Why don't you just plop the stuff in your tank though while it's cycling? Adding the moss won't hurt it.

Living in Victoria, Canada; Born in Mexico City

Awards Showcase

My neons and other fishies thank you for your help!! - fishymommy For the good health of your plants and their strong growth! - W_Oz have a guppy, lol, we have about 60 fry - labnjab ahh you need more gifts!! - The Red Severum Why have I never gave you a gift?! - Tolley 
    Thanks for all! - saurjusa I'm getting myself a school of these guys!!! lol! - Alfcea You need a bigger school! - The Red Severum Have a gift my friend - Tolley Thought you could use something new. - oldhead 
    getting a bigger school... - Alfcea Happy X-mas - William Thank you!  Also a very merry christmas to you xxx - Fishalicious Merry X-Mas!! - The Red Severum Merry Christmas !!! - Tolley 
    Have a Wonderful Holiday! - Northernguy Happy Belated New Years - W_Oz Thanks for the positive feedback! - rageybug just sharing the wealth! - rageybug Thanks for the nom and the kind words! - Brookfish 

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah, I agree with Oz. The moss will grow fine in the cup... and with time it will completely outgrow it! Do not worry...
    By Alfredo Franco-Cea
    30 gallon tank -- low light -- tannin stained water
    FAUNA: 7 zebra danios; 5 neon tetras; one male green swordtail; 2 female adult platies (plus fry); 6 bleeding heart tetras; 6 false rummy nose tetras
    FLORA: Anubias, Java Moss, Ceratophyllum, Java Fern, WindelÝv's Fern

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by W_Oz
    The moss will grow just fine in the cup and, given propper nutrition, can stand a longer photoperiod than 12 hours which will make it grow faster. Why don't you just plop the stuff in your tank though while it's cycling? Adding the moss won't hurt it.
    I'm hoping the cup will help contain the moss from taking over my tank. Oh..lol..the cup is inside the tank with the moss sitting in it.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfcea
    Yeah, I agree with Oz. The moss will grow fine in the cup... and with time it will completely outgrow it! Do not worry...
    Cool!! Thanks!

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by W_Oz
    Proper nutrition? Does it need to be fertalized? I'm a plant newbie.

0 Not allowed!
    No it doesn't. My 10g is filled almost all the way with java moss and I only have 20 watts of light without any fertilizers.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurus
    Proper nutrition? Does it need to be fertalized? I'm a plant newbie.
    I merely meant that if you do give it fertilizers and it's the only thing in your tank, plant or animal, you can give it nearly 24/7 lighting and it will grow quite quickly. You don't need to use ferts with Java Moss, the stuff's about as tough as nails and twice as hard to kill.

If you're worried about it taking over, invest in a small pair of quality pruning shears and trim it back to keep it looking nice and prevent it from running rampant in your tank.

0 Not allowed!
    It will grow well in just about any condition. Then you can share it with fellow fish-keepers!
    8 tanks running now:
    1x 220 gallon, 2x55 gallon, 1x40 gallon long, 1x29 gallon, 1x20 gallon long, 1x5.5 gallon, 1x2 gallon
    Gouramis, barbs, rasboras, plecos, corys, tetras, fancy guppies, swordtails, ottos, rainbow shark, upside-down catfish, snails, and Max and Sparkles the bettas.

Awards Showcase

Tanks for sharing our hobby - Boertjie Congrats on new tank and severum - Lady Hobbs for rescuing the betta! - cocoa_pleco For being my life partner - Boertjie for being so good to our underwater friends! - ladyoutlaw50 
    For your new tank - donvichu I love you - Boertjie My fish in my pond..... - Boertjie You have my heart - Boertjie You are my treasure - Boertjie 
    Supermama - for the queen of fry x - Fishalicious Pumping love for you - Boertjie Just because :) - SkinnyChicken Sorry about Roger - Boertjie Sorry for the loss of Roger! - Fishalicious 
    a toast to your new home - Lady Hobbs here's to the new home! - ladyoutlaw50 Love you - Boertjie Love - Boertjie I love you. - Boertjie 
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Gemstone 

0 Not allowed!
    that stuff is almost indesctructable....