· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Some really useful advise thanks
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 09-26-2011 at 07:12 AM.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm in the use of salt only medicinally camp. That said, I will be in the market for fish soon, and my choice of where to buy them are limited. If the LFS is selling freshwater fish in salt water, will they be shocked if I place them into a tank without salt? I was specifically thinking of buying Mollies, but the one LFS I'm familiar with keeps them in a brackish tank.

0 Not allowed!
    If they keep their Mollies in brackish water, and you want to keep them in FW, it is possible, but you do have to acclimate them properly. Best way to go about acclimating the mollies from brackish to full FW is to do a slow drip acclimation. I would do it over a 2 hour period, allowing the container to fill all the way, then emptying half of it, and letting it fill again. I'd repeat that process a couple of times. By the time you do that a couple of times, the amount of salt left in the water the fish is swimming will be small enough that adding it to the full FW will not be a shock.

Just for the record, you could potentially keep the mollies in the brackish water if you wanted to as they are what is known as a euryhaline species. That simply means that they are capable of adapting to, and thriving in a wide range of salinity levels. Mollies can be kept in full fresh all the way to full salt. However, depending on the tankmates you choose, it may be quite worth your while to adapt the fish to the freshwater environment.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So after reading everyone's feedback on using salt in freshwater aquariums I decided to not use it. However after going to my LFS today they informed me that all of their tanks use salt as the farms all use it. They cannot guarantee fish unless i use it to.

So I called the other place I normally get fish and they too use salt in all their tanks...would it be better for my new fish if I had some salt in the water or continue to forego it and let the fish adjust to a salt free tank?

Thanks
    29g fresh planted community 1 Thick Lipped Sunset Gourami, 5 pristella x-ray tetras, 6 neon tetras and 3 platies with amazon sword and rotala indinca
    2.5g Betta tank with 1 male
    10 Gallon QT tank 3 MM Platy

Awards Showcase

hopefully this one shows up. - KingFisher It's the closest thing I could find to a snowflake. - Taurus Happy Birthday Girl. Wishing you many more. Ya thats why the Champagne is in play. hehehe - Strider199 For piping up - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - gadget228 Thank you and Happy Holidays! - KingFisher Merry x-mas and a Happy New Year Trillianne - Strider199 Happy New Year!!! - Rue 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Thanks for the Rep! - steeler1 Thanks, and one for you too. - mommy1 lol - 5 steps to gift giving.  We should eat more bananas... potassium and all that. - KevinVA 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 No Message - Fishhook A Birthday Bunny. - gadget228 Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    @procyg

I'd be highly surprised if your lfs tested the salinity of your tank water if you had to return a fish (with water sample). And if they aren't testing for it... how would they know?

As for what you should do... that is up to you. I'd do at least some version of drop acclimation if you decide to forgo adding the salt.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Trillianne
    @procyg

I'd be highly surprised if your lfs tested the salinity of your tank water if you had to return a fish (with water sample).
    They actually tested for it just for a simple test on ph today so pretty sure they would do it again. i haven't had many losses in my tank (only 2 that were unexplained) so i may just continue to pass on the salt and take my chances.
    29g fresh planted community 1 Thick Lipped Sunset Gourami, 5 pristella x-ray tetras, 6 neon tetras and 3 platies with amazon sword and rotala indinca
    2.5g Betta tank with 1 male
    10 Gallon QT tank 3 MM Platy

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hi I recently purchased cichlids, and they told me the whole kit and caboodle about how salt in the water will be better. I hope I am taking this correct because I read most of your list. I do not need to use salt? It could actually harm them? What should I do if I have already added salt? Should I wait until I change the water and just slowly weed out the salt? Also when I change the water out what percent should I take out and replace? Thanks and sorry for all the questions I'm a newbie.

0 Not allowed!
    Wow! Thank you for this information. I'm really glad that I found this, as I fell for the myths. Luckily I haven't used the salt I purchased yet, but I was holding onto it for just-in-case moments, like diseased/stressed fish. I didn't buy this too long ago (and never opened it), so hopefully Petsmart will take it back.

Thanks again!

0 Not allowed!
    No need to return it, it is perfect for the treatment of diseases like ich. What is unnecessary and detrimental to some fish health is maintaining it in the water as a preventative measure.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ILuvMyGoldBarb
    No need to return it, it is perfect for the treatment of diseases like ich. What is unnecessary and detrimental to some fish health is maintaining it in the water as a preventative measure.
    Ok, so from your first post, in regards to disease, don't keep salt in the tank on a regular basis, as a preventative measure, but treat ich with salt when it's present?

Does the salt not irritate the freshwater fish when introduced for short periods of time and in small amounts? I'm pretty sure the instructions say to add 1Tbsp per 10gal. I would assume that if that's enough salt to kill ich, it could be enough to irritate/harm the fish in some way?

Is there no other option in treating ich more safely?