· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    This is a really informative post!

Just one little qualm: osmosis never ceases. When the concentration of the solution (in this case salt) is equal on both sides of the membrane, water diffuses in and out of the cell at the same rate.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by cliff0114
    Scientific? I seen an aquarist posting one side of this topic with nothing backing it up?

If you actually did properly research, then you wouldn't be posting this at all. Salt indeed does have its usage in the aquarium industry but it's also one of the most abused item in the hobby because people just think of it as a miracle cure or something. Just like all kind of treatment; everything must be done with consideration and moderation. Salt has different uses for different species and different circumstances.

Awards Showcase

Thanks and your first gift!! - The Red Severum Eggs woo hoo!!! - Gayle My new buddy.  LOL - Lady Hobbs because you're always there to help! - gourami*girl A beer for my fellow canuck! - NickFish 
    For being a pic hound!!! - Alfcea thankyou for all your help - sueshewoman A round of gifts for my friends at ac! - Wild Turkey to a very good buddy,happy thanksgiving - angelcakes Congrats on MOTM - Lady Hobbs 
    For being on the ball and having the forum at heart. - Brookfish Thanks for the gift! Now heres one for you ! - CephalopodLover congrats on MOTM - angelcakes same to you - mrs fishpatrick thanks for the help - LORENZO 
    merry christmas - cocoa_pleco sorry for your loss - lovleeko Seasons Greetings! - Brookfish Joyeux Noel!  :) - KrytterKrys Happy Christmas 2008 - fins_n_fur 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Northernguy 

0 Not allowed!
    cliff0114 was just trying to stir up some drama but not anymore.
    Ray Your Freindly Neighborhood,Fully Mod-ified, Self-appointed Pic Hound!! Need pics!!!
    Have you filled out your profile yet ?????????????
    The Fabulous AC ebook Please read>http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by cliff0114
    Scientific? I seen an aquarist posting one side of this topic with nothing backing it up?
    Then I guess you aren't informed enough to be familiar with Dr. Nic Dakin. Might do you some good.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

0 Not allowed!
    Who ya talking to? He is long gone.

LOL

0 Not allowed!
    I know, but if you delete your cookies you can still read the forum. ;)
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Geez, I read this entire post but still haven't found what I was looking for. Can somebody point out the positives that salt has? Besides treating for Ich what else does it do for the aquarium and the fish?

A better written article, I think, would list the positives, weigh that against the negatives and finish with the authors view on the subject. Not that I could write anything like that. Just saying it would help me form an opinion instead of having to go and search for more and more articles.

Change of subject-

I was told at a reputable fish store by a very helpful man who looked kind of like Santa. Where we live our water is river water, it is soft water but neutral, (7.5 when I tested it) they add a pinch (1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon) of buffer and a pinch of salt per 10 gallons of water they change. He said that the fish need the extra minerals since our tap water has little to none, and the ph should be bumped up a bit somewhere so it ranges between 7 and 8.

I am using Kent Cichlid Buffer, Kent ph stable, and Kent Cichlid chemistry(salt) along with a dechlorinator for my water changes. I only use the minimum ammounts to maintain the tank. I have done this in all my tanks and it's fine. With my Oscar recently I have been leaving out the buffer, because I read on hear they do best in neutral to alkaline water. I have been using a bit of ro water mixed with tap water for his water changes. I know Im a nerd, haha.
    Last edited by openbook; 10-02-2010 at 02:25 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    openbook, the problem is, there are not really any true benefits to salt in a FW aquarium other than disease treatment. The one other benefit that one might to consider is that of the detoxification of nitrite, but that would really only be useful if you are cycling with fish. In a true FW aquarium, salt is not a benefit, that is the whole point of this article.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have soft water so I need to add a product to give my tanks some hardness. The product I use called Cichlid Chemistry says it has a mixture of carbonates, sulfates, and chlorides of sodium, magnesium, calcium, and potassium with all necessary minor and trace minerals.

I was thinking that all the chlorides are considered salt or is aquarium salt only sodium chloride?

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Off topic but I've also used spring water to try and put some minerals and what not in the tank but that was a mistake. After a couple weeks I had this thick nasty film on the inside of the glass.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast