· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~   Merry Christmas - mommy1   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   For Your 33 Gallon. Happy Holidays! - Taurus   Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime   

0 Not allowed!
    The debatable topic aside (which I'm not going to get into again, it's pretty much a trench war), remember that when you get right down to it fish breed for one of two reasons.

1. Conditions are optimal for the offspring. Food and high water in abundance are to be expected.
    2. Conditions are likely to get really bad real soon. Some scattered eggs may be the only way for the species to survive. That's something you see in annual killi for example.

I suspect that if you real dive into this you will find that the first factor comes into it. But perhaps you'd better take this to the cichlid subforum or even a dedicated board.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith   

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the info, I was curious myself, now I know :]

1 Not allowed!
    I am glad I read this thread. I no longer feel bad about not doing something I assumed I was supposed to do.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Hope your betta settles in soon. - Slaphppy7   Congrats on the new fish and tank. - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    Very nice post. I have had a hard time figuring out what exactly salt does for fish and this post answered a lot of my questions.
    ~~~~~~~~

"I just wanna have coffee and pet my dog."

5-gallon & 2-gallon:
    3 male guppies

~~ ~~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

merry xmas XD - genocidex   for your kind words! - C-Dub   Welcome Skinner! - Rue   Happy Holidays! - Rue   Happy B-Day! - Rue   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by labnjab View Post
    Great post...someone should show petco this, every single tank has salt in it and they have signs recomending the use of salt for all freshwater use
    PetCo wants to sell aquarium salt.

These are good reasons to NOT use salt in freshwater tanks. The reason I have always had for never salting my tanks is simply that freshwater fish are meant to live in freshwater. Some are adaptable to greater salinity, like mollies and guppies, but if they're accustomed to living in freshwater, they should stay in freshwater or, if one wants to transfer them to a brackish or marine tank, careful and diligent acclimation needs to be done to give them a chance to adapt gradually without shocking their systems.

If I want to have salt in an aquarium, I would set up a brackish or marine tank and inhabit it with those kinds of species.

Dojos, in particular, could suffer with salt in a freshwater tank. They are scaleless fish.

Freshwater invertebrates such as shrimp are particularly sensitive to copper sulfate and salt.

I believe it's best to keep freshwater fresh. Regular aquarium maintenance and a good diet are the best ways to keep fish healthy, along with purchasing healthy fish to begin with or, if you have the set-up, quarantining them.

My two cents worth ...
    20 gal. high: planted; 7 white cloud minnows, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A guppy to get you started. - Slaphppy7   Have a beer for being another sports fan ;-) - steeler58   Here's a super rare guppy lol - AmazonJoe   

0 Not allowed!
    I used it for decades with livebearers because that was the wisdom of the day. It does seem it was unnecessary for other than treating specific illnesses. Very informative post.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011