· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Default Dispelling Some Myths about Adding Salt to FW Aquariums

0 Not allowed!
    Recently there have been a number of threads arise regarding the use of salt in freshwater aquariums. Unfortunately, there are some myths out there regarding the use of salt and exactly what it will do. There are still many that use salt and sing its praises, it is just one more thing that does not need to be used all the time and I'd like to clear up a few of the myths surrounding it. The following statements are not merely the opinion of this hobbyist, they are founded in scientific fact.

1. The first idea that I'd like to deal with is the ideal of "Relief of Osmotic stress." This is an idea that is not entirely a myth, however it is often presented as a blanket statement and that is where the myth arrives. For fish that come from environments that have 0 salt (aka, most captive bred fish) the addition of salt does nothing to relieve osmotic stress, it creates it. For wild caught fish that come from brackish environments or environments where there a trace amount of salt can be found, the addition of a very small amount of salt will help with osmotic stress.

2. Myth number 2 deals specifically with livebearers. Mollies, Platies, Swordtails, and Guppies are often presented as being brackish fish or fish that require salt. This is a completely false idea. Platies, Swordtails, and Guppies are all completely freshwater species. Mollies are not a brackish fish, they are however a euryhaline species. This simply means they can adapt to a wide range of salinities. They key word there is adapt, they do not require salt at all but they can adapt to levels ranging from none all the way to full marine.

3 and 4. The third myth deals with disease prevention and the fourth does right along with it; stress reduction. Again, this is not entirely false but it is still entirely unecessary. Salt allows the fish keeper to keep lower than ideal water quality and it reduces the chances of diesase as a result. However, the idea that it will prevent Ich is not true at all. The logic seems to be, since salt kills free swimming Ich, it will keep it from forming. This is not true, and it has in fact lead to a strain of Ich that is entirely resistant to salt. Ich is a parasite and a very adaptable one at that. Maintaining salt in your system all the time simply allows the Ich to adapt to it and develop an immunity to it. Also in this area, the logic seems to be that salt helps create a thicker slime coat which in turn makes them more disease resistant. This reason has to be the most pointless of all the reasons for using salt. While it is true salt does cause a fish to develop a thicker slimecoat, the development of the thicker slimecoat is a reaction to an irritant in the water, and that irritant is the salt. Irritants in the water are a source of stress, and stress is a cause of disease in fish. So, here is what the addition of salt boils down to in this case: salt irritates fish and creates stress -> fish develops thicker slimecoat in reaction to irritant -> fish becomes more resistant to diesase that results from a stressful situation. At this point, the fishkeeper would be just as far ahead without the addition of salt, because with out the salt, there would be no creation of a stressful situation that the fish needed a defense against. Completely self defeating reason.

5. Another reason some people site for using salt is the addition of electrolytes to the water. While this may be true, the exact same thing is accomplished by simply doing a water change. Again, the addition of salt is a redundant and pointless act in this case. The salt concentration of fish blood is 15-17 parts per thousand. In freshwater the surrounding environment has a much lower salt concentration and therefore the tendency for equilibrium causes the water to diffuse into the bloodstream through the thin gill walls through osmosis. As you raise the salinity of the surrounding environment the rate of osmosis slows down. When you reach concentrations that are equal, osmosis completely stops because equilibrium has been reached. That cessation or slowing down of osmosis slows down the electrolyte intake as well. So, the introduction of extra electrolytes via salt simply makes up for the slower rate of osmosis caused by the salt. Again, self defeating.

6. The final thing I want to deal with here is the idea that Salt allows fish to diffuse more oxygen from the water. This is a completely false idea that simply proves that the advocates of this myth simply do not understand fish physiology. There is evidence that things like copper sulfate, salt, and other slime coat boosters can all cause the exact same problem. A good indication of the oxygen content of your water is the ventilation rate of your fish. If a fish is ventilating very quickly then it is attempting to get extra oxygen, and this happens when there is not enough oxygen in the water, the fish is stressed, or it cannot extract enough oxygen from the water. (Edit: author's amendment).
    Last edited by fins_n_fur; 10-20-2008 at 09:27 PM.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

0 Not allowed!
    Good write up GB. Answered some questions in my mind.

50G Tank - Kyathit Danios, Zebra Danio, Swordtails, Silver Hatchetfish, Platy, Gold Barbs, Cherry Barbs, Bolivian Rams, Apisto, Zebra Loaches.
    20G 'Nano Fish' Tank - Pygmy Rasboras, Lampeyes, Sparkling Gouramis, CPD, Bronze Corydoras, Cherry Shrimp
    Wanted: More CPD's and Loaches.
    Keep updated with my fish world in my Blog! And my tanks Blog!

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks, that helps a lot!

Awards Showcase

Thanks and your first gift!! - The Red Severum Eggs woo hoo!!! - Gayle My new buddy.  LOL - Lady Hobbs because you're always there to help! - gourami*girl A beer for my fellow canuck! - NickFish 
    For being a pic hound!!! - Alfcea thankyou for all your help - sueshewoman A round of gifts for my friends at ac! - Wild Turkey to a very good buddy,happy thanksgiving - angelcakes Congrats on MOTM - Lady Hobbs 
    For being on the ball and having the forum at heart. - Brookfish Thanks for the gift! Now heres one for you ! - CephalopodLover congrats on MOTM - angelcakes same to you - mrs fishpatrick thanks for the help - LORENZO 
    merry christmas - cocoa_pleco sorry for your loss - lovleeko Seasons Greetings! - Brookfish Joyeux Noel!  :) - KrytterKrys Happy Christmas 2008 - fins_n_fur 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Northernguy 

0 Not allowed!
    Very well said !!!!

Should be a sticky!!
    Ray Your Freindly Neighborhood,Fully Mod-ified, Self-appointed Pic Hound!! Need pics!!!
    Have you filled out your profile yet ?????????????
    The Fabulous AC ebook Please read>http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html

0 Not allowed!
    thank you goldbarb
    this should be sticky
    angelcakes (penny)
    "The big fish eats the small one."
    -- Sephardic saying

chat link
    http://theaquaticlounge.chatango.com/

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Good post and very useful information.

One little point though, regarding #6. The rate of osmosis to maintain salt balance has little or nothing to do with the rate of oxygen uptake. The oxygen isn't taken up with the water.

That being said, increased salt could reduce oxygen uptake, but it has more to do with #4. The increased slime coat thickness on the gills increases the distance over which the oxygen has to diffuse and this diffusion is the slowest part of oxygen uptake. A thicker slime coat could therefore lead to lower oxygen uptake.
    My AC Fish Gallery:
    Another gallery with my fish

21 Gallon - 3 Ornate Tetras, 7 Pencilfish, 1 Oto cat, 7 Amano shrimp, 1 Peckoltia brevis, 1 clown pleco
    15 Gallon - 1 clown pleco, 6 threadfin rainbows
    10 Gallon - 7 Galaxy Rasboras, 4 Betta rutilans, Cherry shrimp, 1 Hillstream Loach
    65 Gallon - Cycling!

0 Not allowed!
    Seems you are correct Sasquatch. Thank you. That said, there is evidence that things like copper sulfate, salt, and other slime coat boosters can all cause the exact same problem. A good indication of the oxygen content of your water is the ventilation rate of your fish. If a fish is ventilating very quickly then it is attempting to get extra oxygen, and this happens when there is not enough oxygen in the water, the fish is stressed, or it cannot extract enough oxygen from the water.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

0 Not allowed!
    Nicely written and great explanations, ILuvMyGoldBarb.

Now, I have seen some other threads recently about using salt in a fresh water aquarium and I suspect that there are different opinions to what ILuvMyGoldBarb has shared. We welcome debate here to challenge each other and to learn from each other. If you have counter-arguments, feel free to attack the argument, not the poster. And when you attack the argument, you should have some interesting thought provoking ideas and information besides "but I have always done it like this" or "my lfs does this in their tanks". This hobby, like every thing else in the world, is evolving and dynamic. New ideas are challenged and tested before being accepted. It is how we learn. Please respect each other.

Awards Showcase

For doing such good research!! - Rue hehe. - Tolley nascar prize - sailor Happy Birthday! - squirt_12 For rescuing feeders!  Way to go! - Rue 
    Thanks for the rep! - robnepper To the only guy to quote himself! - Mr.Prototype Thinking of Noah & your family xxx - Fishalicious For your 1 year at AC xxx - Fishalicious Not enough gifts - The Red Severum 
    you need more! - The Red Severum one more! - The Red Severum won the lottery with your donation, had to buy you a beer - mrs fishpatrick Time for another round! - northernguy A round of gifts for my friends at ac! - Wild Turkey 
    Here's one on the house, Nick. - robnepper Merry Christmas - Northernguy Thanks!! - Wild Turkey your info has been great the last couple of days - The Red Severum I appreciate your generousity! - Brookfish 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - NickFish Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - NickFish Childhood Cancer - NickFish Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - NickFish 

0 Not allowed!
    Woo! Great post GB!

Awards Showcase

RAK - DemonShark CONGRATULATIONS DADDY - Lady Hobbs for new bed - Lady Hobbs for new wife - Lady Hobbs to remodel steps - Lady Hobbs 
    To get bigger house? - Lady Hobbs Thanks for the shrimp!! They ROCK! - richberstler My Hero - Lady Hobbs guess what this is for?  LOL - Lady Hobbs Thanks for the plant help!!! Rep coming too!!! - jbeining75 
    Sorry for the loss.. Hope you feel better Gene!! - jbeining75 Thanks for becoming a mod - William Congratulations on Moderator Status! - Tolley To your Modship - Lady Hobbs thanks - mitcore 
    Keep your chin up. Your wife is in our prayers. - ILuvMyGoldBarb Thinking of you during this difficult time x - Fishalicious Your wife deserves a treat! - Rue No Message - Algenco No Message - Algenco 
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Algenco Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Algenco Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Algenco Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Algenco Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - Algenco 

0 Not allowed!
    As usual, very informative!
    As I get older I find myself thinking about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

AC's Free Aquarium Ebook