· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: new tanks. help

1. Default new tanks. help

0 Not allowed!
    I currently have 2 tanks in my apartment (10 gal, 20 gal) that i setup and im fairly new at this.

The 10 gallon has rock substrate, fake plants, and an aqueon 10 filter. When i set it up, I used tap water and of course i put in some dechlorinator and let everything run for a day or two. After that i put in an entire 3.38FL OZ bottle of tetra safestart (directions said to do it) and put freshwater aquarium salt and waited a day before putting in any fish. I put two platies (hi-fin, sunset) in the tank a week or so ago and left them to their devices for a couple days before feeding them. Ive been checking the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels daily and ive noticed that none of them rise above 0 (zero). Any ideas as to why everything stays at 0? Ive done a water change since setting everything up and still nothing changes.

Now the 20 gallon i have has sand substrate (petco sand if you needed to know), fake plants, and a Marineland Penguin 150 Filter. I also used tap water and dechlorinator and ran for a day to let the dechlorinator do its job. I used API QuickStart in this tank rather than the SafeStart because i didn't have another bottle of SafeStart and its what my friend recommended and i also put freshwater aquarium salt. I put fish in it the next day (Platie, Molly, Tetra) and of course left them to get used to their environment for a day and everything was fine. I started to feed them a few days later and everything was ok. I waited a week and i did my daily water test and the ammonia is at .5ppm-1.0ppm and nitrite and nitrate are at 0. I did a 50% water yesterday morning to see if i could get the ammonia down some and it just sits at where it is at so far. I have thought about setting up a 10 gallon just to put the fish in until i can get the ammonia under control but i don't know if it is necessary or warranted at all.

any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by tdavila3 View Post
    I currently have 2 tanks in my apartment (10 gal, 20 gal) that i setup and im fairly new at this.

The 10 gallon has rock substrate, fake plants, and an aqueon 10 filter. When i set it up, I used tap water and of course i put in some dechlorinator and let everything run for a day or two. After that i put in an entire 3.38FL OZ bottle of tetra safestart (directions said to do it) and put freshwater aquarium salt You don't need to put salt in a FW tank and waited a day before putting in any fish. I put two platies (hi-fin, sunset) in the tank a week or so ago and left them to their devices for a couple days before feeding them. Ive been checking the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels daily and ive noticed that none of them rise above 0 (zero). Any ideas as to why everything stays at 0? You tank is at the beginning of cycling and it might take time for the fish to produce enough ammonia for it to register when you test it - hope you're using a liquid test kit and not test strips which are unreliableIve done a water change since setting everything up and still nothing changes.Water changes are only needed if you get an ammonia reading above .25ppm (like .5 or higher) - Are you familiar with the cycling process with fish in the tank?

I used API QuickStart in this tank rather than the SafeStart because i didn't have another bottle of SafeStart and its what my friend recommended and i also put freshwater aquarium salt. Again, no need for salt. I put fish in it the next day (Platie, Molly, Tetra) and of course left them to get used to their environment for a day and everything was fine. the ammonia is at .5ppm-1.0ppm and nitrite and nitrate are at 0. I did a 50% water yesterday morning to see if i could get the ammonia down some good and it just sits at where it is at so far. I have thought about setting up a 10 gallon just to put the fish in until i can get the ammonia under control but i don't know if it is necessary or warranted at all.
    If you are having trouble getting your ammonia down to a reading of .25, you need to change the water more than once a day - like twice a day and at least 50% at a time until you get an appropriate reading. No need to transfer the fish, just change the water more often.
    See my responses above - also, how many fish did you put intot he 20gal?
    Last edited by imma24; 07-09-2013 at 07:00 PM.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by tdavila3 View Post

The 10 gallon has rock substrate, fake plants, and an aqueon 10 filter. When i set it up, I used tap water and of course i put in some dechlorinator and let everything run for a day or two. After that i put in an entire 3.38FL OZ bottle of tetra safestart (directions said to do it) and put freshwater aquarium salt and waited a day before putting in any fish. I put two platies (hi-fin, sunset) in the tank a week or so ago and left them to their devices for a couple days before feeding them. Ive been checking the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels daily and ive noticed that none of them rise above 0 (zero). Any ideas as to why everything stays at 0? Ive done a water change since setting everything up and still nothing changes.

Now the 20 gallon i have has sand substrate (petco sand if you needed to know), fake plants, and a Marineland Penguin 150 Filter. I also used tap water and dechlorinator and ran for a day to let the dechlorinator do its job. I used API QuickStart in this tank rather than the SafeStart because i didn't have another bottle of SafeStart and its what my friend recommended and i also put freshwater aquarium salt. I put fish in it the next day (Platie, Molly, Tetra) and of course left them to get used to their environment for a day and everything was fine. I started to feed them a few days later and everything was ok. I waited a week and i did my daily water test and the ammonia is at .5ppm-1.0ppm and nitrite and nitrate are at 0. I did a 50% water yesterday morning to see if i could get the ammonia down some and it just sits at where it is at so far. I have thought about setting up a 10 gallon just to put the fish in until i can get the ammonia under control but i don't know if it is necessary or warranted at all.

any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    Case 1. You didn't feed the bacteria and made live extra hard with aquarium salt. I totally fail to understand the salt, platies are not brackish.
    Case 2: Again, these are not brackish fish (although the mollies can handle brackish quite well) So the unnecessary addition of salt probably killed whatever was in the bottle. You're looking at a cycle.

Now bacteria starters are a bit hit and miss and depend on the exact water chemistry and temperature. You need ideal circumstances. Salt is not helping.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I use the API Freshwater master test kit to do my testing. i also have like i said before one of each a platy, a mollie, and a tetra in the 20 gallon tank. not the best stocking scheme lol

as far as the salt goes i hadn't thought about the antibacterial properties of it. since i basically have brackish water and the only way salt is going to leave the tank is through water changes, would it be best if i just did a complete water change so that way im not just mixing new fresh water with brackish water?

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    【ツ】 - korith first fish for your community tank! - Cyberra a friend for your other neon ;) - Cyberra tetra #3 ;) - Cyberra looks like you like neons.... i hope - genocidex 
    because sometimes they school - genocidex a good school of neons is 6 minimal !!!!! - genocidex for playing along, gift of my choice!!!! - genocidex These seem to be quite popular... - ~firefly~ ...so here's another one... - ~firefly~ 
    ...and for luck, one more. - ~firefly~ 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Flyby Stardancer 

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah, that's not a good stocking system. They're all schooling fish, and need to school with their own species. Not to mention that tetras tend to be a bit sensitive to cycling tanks.

I would say a complete water change couldn't hurt, as long as you dechlorinate the new water.
    1. 2. (No Picture)
    1: Planted Betta Tank 1, Grimsby (male betta)
    2: Planted Betta Tank 2
    3: Eclipse QT Tank