· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Erratic behavior by gourami

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 1 year old 55 gal tank at my office that I maintain. I actually came here and got advice on setting it up. :D

I don't have all of the fish that i started with but the majority of them have survived and after territories were established everyone has gotten along. (My smallest tiger barb and two kissing gouramis fought frequently but one kisser passed away and the barbs are all happy now) After the passing of my kisser the remaining fish all have gotten along. The barbs stay away from the gouramis. The blue gouramis have obviously had a closer relationship together and would allow the kisser to come around if the kisser wanted. The kisser acts more like a loner. It has been a peaceful tank thus far until recently.

Currently in the tank is 3 tiger bars, 2 albino barbs, 2 blue gouramis and 1 kissing gourami.

I realized after my gouramis started to mature that I had a male/female pair of blue gouramis and I can only assume it was two male kissers. I kind of have a feeling that the remaining kisser killed the other kisser since I came in to the office after the weekend and he had sadly passed. The kisser wasn't showing any signs of illness or stress before leaving the office for the weekend.

Anyways, I noticed that my female gourami has gotten large therefore I can only assume she may be holding some eggs. This is the second time she has gotten a little rounder the first time there was not an issue. There is not and never has there been a bubble nest created.

I have not seen any of the gouramis fighting but I did notice today the dorsal fin on my blue male seems to have a tear which I assume indicates a possible fight. My blue guy also had some damaged scales on the top of his head but I thought that because he hit his head. I put stress coat in the tank and it has since begun to heal. My blue guy has randomly started flopping around, banging up against the glass and causing massive waves in the tank. This started Monday/Tuesday. I noticed yesterday when this happened the female was around and he would swim up beside her after his fit. I honestly thought he was doing some sort of "courting" behavior and assumed any bubble nest he was attempting to create was being destroyed by the filter.

Today I was watching them and he started his fit with no other fish around and nobody was messing with him. I can tell he is stressing out my other fish. This evening for their feeding he didn't come to dinner. (this fish never misses a meal) everyone else was waiting and ready for dinner but he was hiding in his cave. He did have an interest in food. He enjoys algae wafers so I dropped one at the entrance of the cave and he acted like he would come out on his own but then stopped and went back into the cave. I was afraid he had hurt himself so I used a net to move the cave and force him to come up. When he swam up to the top i was able to inspect him and didn't notice any damage other than the tear on his dorsal fin. The scales he had damaged earlier this week appeared to be healing and was not red or irritated.

After dinner I will admit the kisser came up and bumped him and he flopped around and spazzed out. He then went and it was almost like he went to hid behind the female. I didn't have time to check my tank parameters. I plan to get to the office early tomorrow to check the tank chemicals. We change 5gal of water every week to every other week. The water change happened this week Tuesday.

I have a feeling the answer is the males have now sexually matured and they will fight to death... I'm hoping someone can tell me I don't have to decide to either let nature take its course or separate them. I feel like if I pull the kisser out he may be upset to go from a 55gal tank to a 5 gal isolation tank... Then again my little 5 gal tank is not big enough for both blue gourami. If I have to isolate one of the males... How do I do that? The 5 gal tank isn't set up nor cycled.

Thanks for any help.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy new year! - Brookfish   Happy New Year! - The Red Severum   Congratulations on your rep star :-) - Celtic Fins   Welcome back - mommy1   Merry Christmas - AmazonJoe   

1 Not allowed!
    Have you gotten much in the line of sight barriers?? Is the tank planted enough to allow for sight barriers??
    Is there any way that you can swap out the Kissing Gourami? They can get quite quarrel some with tank mates at time. Which sounds like the poor, [I am assuming you mean by Blue Gourami as in Trichopodus trichopterus] is getting beat up by the kissing gourami.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the rep! - steeler58   Thanks!! - steeler58   Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7   Thx4rep - pRED   Won't let me give a rep ptr re the 12 gal tank - fishmommie   

0 Not allowed!
    Do you have a video of the behavior? It's hard to tell from the description. It could be though that the hiding behavior of the blue gourami stems from being bullied by the kissing gourami.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for your comcern and healing thoughts - Silbar   I wish I could give you a hug. - Silbar   Thinking of you ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

0 Not allowed!
    It is good that you intend to check the water quality. You might find answers there. Changing out only 5 gallons, 'once a week to every other week' is a very low amount of fresh water for this 55 gallon tank.
    Best wishes for you, to help this male. I hope he heals up well.

edit to add: If you need guidance in how to clean out filters, members here give excellent guidance. You did not mention doing this maintenance, but of course that doesn't mean you are not doing it.

If you might wish to describe the procedure you follow when cleaning the filter, then members here might be able to offer feedback if you wish. (Please just don't throw away cartridges, or clean media using untreated tap -- which will kill beneficial bacteria)
    again, best wishes to you.
    Last edited by RiversGirl; 04-14-2017 at 01:20 PM.
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I wish I had a video that would probably help matters a lot. But I honestly don't see it myself most of the time just hear the sloshing of the water and him thrashing up against the tank. I see the aftermath of the female darting away from him and then turning to look at him like his crazy. Which was why I really thought he was doing some strange courting behavior. I honestly have no clue how gouramis court and since I have no intention of breeding I've never looked into it. It is a short lived episode. Outside of what I witnessed yesterday after dinner and after forcing him to come out of the cave I have not seen the kisser "attack" or chase anyone. Even what I witnessed yesterday I don't know that I would have been at all alarmed. All the kisser did was nudge him and he sorta freaked out. Believe it or not in my tank the gouramis have always been peaceful. The barbs will bicker and chase each other and sort of tussle but always ends with the loser going to hide and then everyone is happy 10 minutes later.

I dont have real plants in the tank. My gouramis enjoy munching on vegatation. My moss ball I got as a test has been destroyed. They have plastic plants with three caves. I could probably put more into the tank. Obviously the bottom is more covered than the top of the tank and gouramis hang out in both. So when they are at the top of the tank they can see each other and have a straight sight line across the tank. At the bottom there are many hidey holes.

I don't generally "wash" the filter. I wipe it done as needed and change the cartridges once a month. I've never seen a reason to need to disassemble the filter and clean it. I dont take anything out of the tank when I switch the water. I vacuum the gravel. If the gravel is really dirty one week I replace 10 gal of water. Water changes really stress my fish out. They are normally really social and like to interact and watch us throughout the day but on water change day they get a little upset. So I don't do much in ways of disrupting their environment.

I was late to work this morning... So I haven't checked the water. I can say historically, ammonia and nitrites are usually 0 sometimes nitrites will be slightly elevated usually after a long weekend. Nitrates are usually slightly elevated. I've fought that for awhile but when the frequent water changes stressed my fish I gave up on that. I'm looking into creating a closed system and using plants in another tank to filter nitrates/nitrites for me. pH is historically always 6. I know that's low. But someone on this forum told me its best to let the fish acclimate to the pH and not worry about buffers because if the pH became unstable when I wasn't here to watch it, it would be more deadly to the fish than letting them live in the lower pH environment.

I will note this morning there has not been anything out of the ordinary. The fish were all greeting me this morning. My little man (his name is BBQ) excitedly ate and swam around in his usual way. No marks on anyone. Him and the Kisser have floated together like they normally do. BBQ and Wilbur (female gourami) have danced some. I call it dancing they like to swim side by side around the tank and will usually do a few circles. Maybe they are all ok? I'm cautiously optimistic. I have prepared a travel bowl to take the kisser home but I'd prefer not change things if its all good now.

I don't know what the scientific name of BBQ is... He doesn't actually resemble what google brings up as three spot gourami... Here is his photo. His color actually changes from a lighter blue to a deep pretty blue. He is truly a gorgeous.. fish but I may be a little biased.

IMG_1173.JPG

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the rep! - steeler58   Thanks!! - steeler58   Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7   Thx4rep - pRED   Won't let me give a rep ptr re the 12 gal tank - fishmommie   

0 Not allowed!
    Your gourami looks like an opaline gourami, which is a color version of the three-spot gourami.

Filter cartridges should not be replaced all at once to avoid losing too much of your biological filter. If possible, it may be better to just rinse and scrub them without replacing.

Letting fish acclimatize to a certain pH applies to the pH of tap water. Is the pH you mentioned that of your tank or that of the tap water? A low pH in the tank due to an accumulation of organic matter (as indicated by high nitrates) is not a good thing. Do you vacuum the gravel during water changes?

When your fish "dance" or "float" together, are the fins flared and the body stiff? If you don't know how to post videos perhaps you could look up what gourami courtship and aggression looks like on youtube.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    It has two I can replace one at a time, but replacing them once a month they are pretty nasty.

my tap water reads 7 when it comes out of the tap but after it has set out for a day it drops to 6.0. I was told thats "normal". I always leave water out at least one day before replacing it so the fish are used to that.

I can post a video the issue is they don't do it constantly and it's very short lived. Like it occurs and a second later he has calmed down and the other fish aren't near him. Could he have gone blind? Is there a way to tell? His behavior reminds me of a dog that suddenly loses his sight and panics when things come near him.

I just watched my female use her tentacles to push the kisser away from her and BBQ. it was actually quite cute. The kisser obliged and swam away. It is like she is caring for him. I think I'll just have to pull the Kisser out of the tank. He will have to be moved to a temp 5 gal tank until I can get him something more suitable. I'm not sure I recall the minimum tank size for a gourami... I also thought they liked to have tank mates but maybe he is just a loner?

When the blue guys are floating together they seem relaxed and not flared. Just casual swimming around the tank. Its almost like they are surveying the tank together to check things out. Even when they go in circles its a relaxed even movement.

I'm well versed in what the fighting stance looks like. The Kissers spared frequently when they both were alive and one tried to cross into the others territory.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For hanging out on a lazy Sunday ;-) - steeler58   No Message - BluewaterBoof   Thanks for the rep!  This is going to be fun! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Sunday ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the "gpld star". - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species...oma-temminkii/

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species...-trichopterus/

Both can be a bit aggressive. They're very different from the more docile gourami species like pearls and thick-lipped. Oh and the tiger barbs are on the aggressive side as well.

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species...rus-tetrazona/

Aggression will lead to stress and that will lead to healthy issues. I suggest that you pick one species of gourami to keep and find a bit more community oriented fish as tank mates like peaceful barbs or tetra.