· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Jack Dempsey and other fish, need help.

0 Not allowed!
    Hi! I'm posting in a bunch of forums because I really need help... I think this is the 4th forum I have gone to...
    At my job we have a fish tank and its not doing well. They have had it for years, far before I started, and the staff who used to take care of it left. Since then it was periodically taken care of by someone else, but the tank isn't doing well. I have begun taking care of it as I couldn't stand to see the fish die. From what I understand the store who selected the fish did not choose fish that go well together.
    In a 55 gal there was a (forgive me if any of this is wrong I think fish are pretty but am just learning about them) kissing fish, an Oscar, a Jack Dempsey, Pleco and a Tetra that looks like it could be a Buenos Aires or could be a Barb? (No one knows what kind of fish there are, this is from asking friends and staring at fish pictures.) By the time I started only JD, the Pleco, and the Tetra/Barb were left. I took over when the Pleco was struggling to live. Sadly he passed on. Since then I have scrubbed the tank and we have them feeder fish (Goldfish, as recommended by the store) and two of the goldfish turned into pets for the others in the tank.
    The big fish are still not doing well and are losing their colors. Which is why I am having a hard time figuring out if the Tetra/Barb is what I think it is.
    Anyway. My bosses requested to get a school of fish to make the tank more lively. I know they can't go into the same tank as JD and the Tetra/Barb so my bosses bought a 29 gal. Upon further reading and research I have learned that Jack cannot go into such a small tank.
    My questions for you guys is what kind of fish can we put in with them, and any advice for making them happier? I'm trying to find a good balance between what my bosses want and what is best for the fish. I can include picture of the fish and the two tanks if you guys need them.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's an umbrella for the coming storm - mermaidwannabe   Thanks for the points - Silbar   Thanks for the rep - Silbar   Try to stay dry this week. - Silbar   More rep already? Thank you kindly my friend ;-) - steeler58   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

2 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the AC.

Pics of the tank and fish would help tremendously.

First thing you need is a good test kit: https://www.amazon.com/API-Freshwate.../dp/B000255NCI
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Great info on water softeners - Boundava   Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   

3 Not allowed!
    What filters do you have in the tank?

I suspect that since the tank was scrubbed, it is no longer cycled and suitable for fish to live in.

How to cycle a tank with fish

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's an umbrella for the coming storm - mermaidwannabe   Thanks for the points - Silbar   Thanks for the rep - Silbar   Try to stay dry this week. - Silbar   More rep already? Thank you kindly my friend ;-) - steeler58   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Rock, what are your thoughts on compatibility with the current fish in the tank?

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Great info on water softeners - Boundava   Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Rock, what are your thoughts on compatibility with the current fish in the tank?
    Sounds like there is only a few goldfish, a JD, and a mystery fish (tetra). I really need to see pictures of the 55g, and the fish in it. A female JD can do fine for life in a 55g, unless of course it is already more than 8" long.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    This is the current tank, I know we don't have the right set up, I'm working on that with management. 20160909_154308.jpg

This is Jack
    Jack.jpg

And this is the Barb? Or Tetra? Leaning closer to Barb...
    20170201_124010.jpg

And for the fun of it! The goldfish that were never eaten!
    20170201_123721.jpg

Thank you so much for any help! I really don't know what I am doing, but I can't stand by and let the fish get hurt and die. I am trying to fix whatever I can and prevent anything else from happening.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I didn't fully empty it, I did take out all the decorations and cleaned them with just water, but had to scrub. I also cleaned off the algae. When replacing the water we put "Tetra safe" in and waiting a half hour before adding the water. Since then we have only done more partial changes, each time with Tetra Safe, and washed off the decorations again. I was told to change the carbon? filters on the filter, which is an Emperor 400.

From the looks I would say that Jack is around 5 inches and the other big fish is around 4 or so. How do I measure a fish that is in water? Just eyeball it?
    Last edited by ecuij; 02-02-2017 at 08:09 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Get the liquid test kit I linked, and read the fish-in cycling sticky Rocksor provided.

The Tetra Safe is OK for now, but get this product, it is the best conditioner available, IMO: https://www.amazon.com/Seachem-11604.../dp/B00025694O

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199   Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz   Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime   Birthday Beer. - gadget228   Sending healing vibes to your Oscar - Silbar   
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino   

2 Not allowed!
    I believe that barb is a Puntius filamentosus, aka black spot barb or filament barb.

As for the JD... is it a trick of the photo, or is its spine bent like a banana?
    300 gallon mega tank: sailfin pleco, clown loaches, silver dollars, roseline sharks, congo tetras, new world cichlids
    125 gallon office tank: Africian cichlids, synodontis catfih
    75 gallon community tank: bolivian rams, black skirt tetras, dwarf neon rainbowfish, corys, harlequin rasboras, otos, bristlenose and bulldog plecos, assassin snails, various shrimp
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Another angel for you - Slaphppy7   for sticking around - mac   well done - mac   well done - mac   for you sick fish - mac   

0 Not allowed!
    At first I thought that Jack Dempsey was a female Flowerhorn. Doing a little bit of research before I found out there are 'pink' Jack Dempseys. Do you guys think its one of those?