· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Need some facts on Oscars please.

0 Not allowed!
    Hi im new to this forum and i've been reading other posts and have found them both very interesting and helpful.
    But my question is what size do Oscars have to be to breed and also what age?
    I have a pair of Oscars myself and recently they have been concentrating on a flat rock which i put there intentionally to try to incourage them to breed. Cause ive bred many other fish before mainly the all to easy Convict Cichlid and thats been heaps fun to watch i just wanted to try something a bit different and much more interesting. Also I'm not sure if i have male and female but they certainly have been doing some things which i believe is courting but as i've said i'm not sure. Heres a link to a video i posted on Youtube:
    HTML Code:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpJD2iunzH4
    . Just if you have time can you please check it out and tell me what you think.
    Sorry bout the long post.

any help would be much appreciated thanks in advance.

Mike.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - RichBowyer   For the donation...thanks! - A340   Merry Christmas :) - squirt_12   Merry Christmas! - SkarloeysMom   Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!! - 2manyfish   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Drumachine09   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Drumachine09   Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - Drumachine09   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Drumachine09   Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - Drumachine09   

0 Not allowed!
    I did alittle reaserch and found that they should be able to breed by the time they are 6 months old or so. They are also capable of spawning every couple of weeks. How big is your tank?
    Money can't buy happiness, but it sure can pay the rent.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Oh thanks heaps for your help.
    I'm not exact on the measurements of my tank and also im from Australia so again i'm not so accurate on the convertion but its around 45 to 50 gallons. Is that an okay size?
    They are both around 8inch, but they also share this tank with:
    -6inch Barred Midas
    -4inch GT Green Terror
    -4inch Convict

Oh sorry this also brings me to another question is a Gold Saum the same as a Green Terror?
    Because i bought my GT at around 2inch and was told it was a gold saum.
    thanks again. Mike.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome Back! - Lady Hobbs   Welcome back to AC--again! - jeffs99dime   
    Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - jman   Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - jman   

0 Not allowed!
    i thought so but then again they have pics saying this is a gold saum:

http://www.geocities.com/bluespeacock/gourami.jpg

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a beer to go with your name :) - Abbeys_Mom   your christmas present.  It's the 33g, it's folded :) - Abbeys_Mom   Merry X-mas - NorthernBoy   Singing to you.  Can you hear me? - hobbs   In memory of your friend, and a little love for you on that loss - kimmers318   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - crackatinny   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - crackatinny   AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - crackatinny   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - crackatinny   

0 Not allowed!
    Here is a link to a site dedicated to oscars
    http://www.oscarfish.com/portal.php

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom   No Message - 100gw   A treasure for a treasure - hobbs   you da' man!  jersey representin'!  lol - jeffs99dime   for identifying my catfish! - hobbs   
    Childhood Cancer - 100gw   Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - 100gw   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - 100gw   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - 100gw   

0 Not allowed!
    For two oscars and the tankmates you have listed i would have at least a 125 gallon. 55 gallons is recommended for 1 oscar alone. Oscars are usually sexually mature by the time they hit 5 inches. So your pair should be ready to breed if they are accepting of eachother. Good luck with everything and try to get a bigger tank!

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for all the help guys. I'll see what i can do with the tank.. Is it possible that i just move the others to another tank and give the Oscars their space. Cause getting a new tank isnt easy. But thanks again.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom   No Message - 100gw   A treasure for a treasure - hobbs   you da' man!  jersey representin'!  lol - jeffs99dime   for identifying my catfish! - hobbs   
    Childhood Cancer - 100gw   Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - 100gw   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - 100gw   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - 100gw   

0 Not allowed!
    For two Oscars 100 gallons is recommended.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    i'd be incredibly surprised if you managed to get them to breed in that tank. It's too small for them pure and simple. And I'm surprised to hear that they are sexually mature so young. I've never heard of an Oscar mating before 12 months old, not saying they don't, just that I've not heard of it.

You might have two males or females anyway so all this could be moot. You do need a bigger tanks though, something like 500 litres for all those guys

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah i was actually thinking about that.. i mean having two of the same sex. Either way im glad they get along fine.. like neither of the two wish to kill eachother.
    Is it possible to have two males acting liek that though? Like as some have said females tend to pair up and lay unfertilized eggs.. But is it possible for two males to do so? Isn't there too much testosterone with two males around.
    Well i definately wish to breed these awesome fish one day so ill look into getting a bigger tank.
    Just a few factors get in the way.
    Space to put such a huge tank and the ability to dig into shallow pockets
    (if you know what i mean).
    Don't get me wrong, i understand where you are all comming from i've always wanted a bigger tank.
    Bigger tank means more opportunities and happier fish, its just very hard.

Thanks for all the advise people its been much appreciated. Thats what i like about AC everyone takes everything seriously and they know what they are talking about.