· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom Great advice thanks - nraposa Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09 Always good answers - Lady Hobbs You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09 
    Thanks for your help again. - Lady Hobbs goodbye reptileguy....hello Fishguy - Lady Hobbs For always giving me great answere's on my PM's. Thanks for all the help! - cocoa_pleco Thanks For Your Help & Knowledge! :) - MeganL3985 For weakening me against axolotls!!!!!!! - Nick_Pavlovski 
    I am baking today and figured I'd share...Thanks for Always Helping when it's needed! - **AquaQueen** For recommending Fluvals and Stealths - Lady Hobbs Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985 Merry Christmas! - RichBowyer Thanks for the hikari help - Billythefish 
    No Message - LORENZO Merry Christmas - Northernguy merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO Merry X-Mas!! - The Red Severum 

0 Not allowed!
    I'm not arguing and I don't want to. I am just stating what I said more clearly if it came across wrong. Both of us have the right to share our experience. And PMing does not really help. Many could benefit from those excerpts he used, as well as my clarification and my experience.
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist
    Owner: Aquarium Maintenance Company
    Brian's Aquarium Care: Articles about many aspects of aquarium care.

0 Not allowed!
    How would a live plant like a java fern go in a mbuna tank? And would an air stone be a positive or a negative?
    Money can't buy happiness, but it sure can pay the rent.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom Great advice thanks - nraposa Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09 Always good answers - Lady Hobbs You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09 
    Thanks for your help again. - Lady Hobbs goodbye reptileguy....hello Fishguy - Lady Hobbs For always giving me great answere's on my PM's. Thanks for all the help! - cocoa_pleco Thanks For Your Help & Knowledge! :) - MeganL3985 For weakening me against axolotls!!!!!!! - Nick_Pavlovski 
    I am baking today and figured I'd share...Thanks for Always Helping when it's needed! - **AquaQueen** For recommending Fluvals and Stealths - Lady Hobbs Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985 Merry Christmas! - RichBowyer Thanks for the hikari help - Billythefish 
    No Message - LORENZO Merry Christmas - Northernguy merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO Merry X-Mas!! - The Red Severum 

0 Not allowed!
    Air stone doesn't matter, should not need it though. Plants usually end up as food, but if I remember right it tastes bad (not first hand experience, that's what the book said) so it may have a chance. Doesn't go with the biotope at all though, but if you want to try it let us know how it goes.
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    All this talk about Yellow Labs got my interested. I am currently looking to restock a 20 gallon high that I have would this be too small for say a group of 3 yellow labs? Or would I have to go up to 30 for them?
    55 Gallon - Angelfish Display - Aquaclear70 and TetraTec 300
    20 Gallon - Tiger Barb - 2 AquaClear30s
    10 Gallon - Betta - AquaClear20

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    You would really have to do it right (tons of filtration, big frequent water changes, one male and two females, lots of hiding places) and even then at best it would be bare minimum, I wouldn't suggest it.
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist

6. Default Thanks Rep!

0 Not allowed!
    Reptileguy is right. Bigger tank.
    I kept some cichlids in a 30 gallon with success but you are really not giving those guys half a chance at what they could be. 55 gallon minimun I would say?
    55 gallon setups run relatively cheap in walmart, then you can always upgrade the filter system and other things as you go along.
    That's how I got started years ago for about $120.00 including everything you need.
    Of course, you probably should get a good visitherm stealth heater and NEVER use what walmart gives you for heating.

Good luck.

One last thing for all concerned.

I didn't want to make it sound that ALL Yellow Labs are docile, or that it is simple to sex them.
    For the most part, Yellow Labs are a quiet fish, but that doesn't mean they all are.
    Keep in mind Lake Malawi. It is huge. They need open space. They also deal with other Mbuna and Utakas in the lake and sometimes have to defend themselves. They CAN fight!
    All Cichlids in general as a rule can be aggressive, even the most prettiest of the Angel Fish!
    As far as sexing the Lab?
    My finding is that when you buy them and they have a lot of black markings, they USUALLY are male, but they can surprise us :-)
    30 gallon salt water tank
    Protein skimmer
    2 power heads
    2 clowns and 3 hermits

Joe C.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks guys I'll def wait on the cichlids for now till I can get a full tank of them. I think I might go with a Tiger Barb tank that would look pretty cool I think. Any suggestion on the # I was thinkin 6 or 7 1inch 1gallon right these would be the only fish in there does that sound about right?
    55 Gallon - Angelfish Display - Aquaclear70 and TetraTec 300
    20 Gallon - Tiger Barb - 2 AquaClear30s
    10 Gallon - Betta - AquaClear20

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Note on lab agression.

One of my yellow labs is holding now and I think I'm going to have to pull her out of the tank because she seems very stressed. My dominant male yellow lab will not leave her alone. Just thought I would share my current experiences.
    Some innocents 'scape not the thunderbolt

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    That is usually why the females need to be pulled out, because the others just harass and stress them.
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist