· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Electric Yellow Cichlids

0 Not allowed!
    Ive finally bit the bullet and got my 10 gallon running again and moved my 29's population to it. Now i amd overhauling my 29. I have a natural gravel, and i am still siliconing a slate stack for cover. I am looking to get 2 electric yellow cichlids or something of that nature. Do i not have enough room? And what would be easy to find natural tankmates?

Thanyou
    Money can't buy happiness, but it sure can pay the rent.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom Great advice thanks - nraposa Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09 Always good answers - Lady Hobbs You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09 
    Thanks for your help again. - Lady Hobbs goodbye reptileguy....hello Fishguy - Lady Hobbs For always giving me great answere's on my PM's. Thanks for all the help! - cocoa_pleco Thanks For Your Help & Knowledge! :) - MeganL3985 For weakening me against axolotls!!!!!!! - Nick_Pavlovski 
    I am baking today and figured I'd share...Thanks for Always Helping when it's needed! - **AquaQueen** For recommending Fluvals and Stealths - Lady Hobbs Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985 Merry Christmas! - RichBowyer Thanks for the hikari help - Billythefish 
    No Message - LORENZO Merry Christmas - Northernguy merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO Merry X-Mas!! - The Red Severum 

0 Not allowed!
    You have enough room for a few, if you do it right. That means one male and two to three females, tons of filtration, and large frequent water changes.
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist
    Owner: Aquarium Maintenance Company
    Brian's Aquarium Care: Articles about many aspects of aquarium care.

0 Not allowed!
    I was only going to get 2. What are possible natural tankmates?

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom Great advice thanks - nraposa Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09 Always good answers - Lady Hobbs You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09 
    Thanks for your help again. - Lady Hobbs goodbye reptileguy....hello Fishguy - Lady Hobbs For always giving me great answere's on my PM's. Thanks for all the help! - cocoa_pleco Thanks For Your Help & Knowledge! :) - MeganL3985 For weakening me against axolotls!!!!!!! - Nick_Pavlovski 
    I am baking today and figured I'd share...Thanks for Always Helping when it's needed! - **AquaQueen** For recommending Fluvals and Stealths - Lady Hobbs Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985 Merry Christmas! - RichBowyer Thanks for the hikari help - Billythefish 
    No Message - LORENZO Merry Christmas - Northernguy merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO Merry X-Mas!! - The Red Severum 

0 Not allowed!
    Two could be a problem if ti is one male and only one female. Synodontis spp. are found in the same lake, but I'm not sure which species exactly. Other than that it is really just other mbuna cichlids. Any particular reason why no more than two?
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist

0 Not allowed!
    I just figured that they get up to 5 inches, and i didnt want to over do it. Should i get 1 mall and 2 or 3 females if thats not overdoing a well filtered 29?

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    I would, it will let them breed if you do it right. They like a lot of current, so you don't have to worry about too much flow. I would go with a Fluval 405. Do you have any filtration yet?
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 25 gallon filter and a 45 gallon filter, and i will use them both. Would that be adequete?

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I think on a 29 gallon you should be ok with that filtration. A 405 would be better but If you are only going to have 3 or 4 fish you should be fine with what you have.

As far as tank mates, really any mbuna should do ok with the yellow labs. Certain species are more agressive than others but you can do a little research and find a good fit. Though all will likely be about 4-5 inches so you get back to the overstocking thing that you were looking to avoid. I think an all yellow lab tank would be very cool. If they breed you can sell the fry, they are usually in pretty high demand. Good luck, electric yellows are great little fish. You are going to love them.
    Some innocents 'scape not the thunderbolt

9. Default Yellow cichlids

0 Not allowed!
    Hello all,
    I had a 29 gallon cichlid setup, and if you are not going to breed, then with yellow labs, you really don't need more females than males.
    They are very peaceful fish and won't bother each other.

Have hiding spaces, and you could easily put 6 cichlids in there.
    Yellow labs will get maybe 4 inches.

I had 2 yellow labs, 2 P Kennyi, and 2 bumblebee cichlids. They are all alive and well now. I added them to my 75 gallon and made the 29 into a tropical tank

I changed out about 50% water weekly, but I did it in two steps.
    25% Thursday and 25% Saturday, but that 's because my well water is low in PH.
    Everybody here gave you excellent advice, and large water changes are fine if you are careful.
    More females than males is always better, but all I am saying is that you CAN have 2 of each cichlid I mentioned here with success.

My filter was an aqua clear rated at 70 gallons.
    Good luck!
    Last edited by Cichlid_Man; 01-14-2007 at 12:05 PM.
    30 gallon salt water tank
    Protein skimmer
    2 power heads
    2 clowns and 3 hermits

Joe C.

0 Not allowed!
    Alright, cool! Now what about tank mates? Im looking for something that the yellow labs would be around naturally. Hopefully some peacful bottom feeder or small fish.