· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the awards! - Northernguy   Active! - Wild Turkey   Really nice Syno pic! - Brookfish   Merry Christmas ! - Northernguy   Have a great Christmas! - Demi ^_^   

Default Upside Down Catfish Sick or Injured

0 Not allowed!
    Frank, my UDC, is unwell. He is normally a great fish, and has been living in my Mbuna tank. He's never bothered by the cichlids, and eats aggressively and well. He was absent from feeding on Sunday, which immediately alerted me to the fact that something was wrong. On Monday morning, I removed all rocks from the tank in order to net him. He is now in a 10 gal. hospital tank. He does have some slightly damaged fins, and a red spot on one of them. He is looking a little better, and did take some food this morning, but when he eats, he seems to be uncomfortable, and shakes his head. I've examined his mouth and all seems fine, although there is a dark area...which may even be normal. I was wondering if I could add an antibiotic presribed for humans to the water. Husband just got back from the doctor...as luck should have it! Fish meds are hard to come by here, and all I have access to is Melafix and Pimafix. The prescribed antibiotic that I do have is labelled AMOXI CIAV 250mg...underneath that it says AMOX TR\ POTASSIUM CLAVAL. I'd like to treat him, as he's one of my favourites...but I don't want to make things worse using an inappropiate med...Any ideas?
    Sharon

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks and your first gift!! - The Red Severum   Eggs woo hoo!!! - Gayle   My new buddy.  LOL - Lady Hobbs   because you're always there to help! - gourami*girl   A beer for my fellow canuck! - NickFish   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    That is a good description but a few pics of what you see would really help!
    Do not add antything meant for humans until you figure out what is going on.
    I am sorry to her about your little friend but please wait until you have heard from others!
    Ray Your Freindly Neighborhood,Fully Mod-ified, Self-appointed Pic Hound!! Need pics!!!
    Have you filled out your profile yet ?????????????
    The Fabulous AC ebook Please read>http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

tribute to digga r.i.p - angelcakes   Your Awesome! - Tolley   happy easter to me........LOL - angelcakes   Thank you for the nomination and sorry for the fishy - Billythefish   Probably the nicest members on the forum... - Goshawk   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - angelcakes   HIV/AIDS - angelcakes   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by northernguy
    That is a good description but a few pics of what you see would really help!
    Do not add antything meant for humans until you figure out what is going on.
    as northenguy has stated do not add any meds that are ment for humans and pics would help
    angelcakes (penny)
    "The big fish eats the small one."
    -- Sephardic saying

chat link
    http://theaquaticlounge.chatango.com/

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the awards! - Northernguy   Active! - Wild Turkey   Really nice Syno pic! - Brookfish   Merry Christmas ! - Northernguy   Have a great Christmas! - Demi ^_^   

0 Not allowed!
    I've been trying for pics...he's not making it easy...I'll keep trying.
    Sharon

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Had to go around the back and take the background off for these...I'll try for better pics later...I'm wondering if he could have got himself stuck, and hurt himself.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sharon

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks and your first gift!! - The Red Severum   Eggs woo hoo!!! - Gayle   My new buddy.  LOL - Lady Hobbs   because you're always there to help! - gourami*girl   A beer for my fellow canuck! - NickFish   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    His eyes look hazed over is that normal for him?
    What could he get stuck under?
    Did you happen to notice anything on him yesterday?
    Ray Your Freindly Neighborhood,Fully Mod-ified, Self-appointed Pic Hound!! Need pics!!!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    His eyes are fine...that's just the pic. He could have gotten stuck somehow in the rocks...there are a lot of them in the Mbuna tank...
    Sharon

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

congrats on MOTM! - Jacko   Another round for my friends - mommy1   Another day, another round for my friends. - mommy1   After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1   Thanks for your kind words in my blog, it really dose help - Cliff   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - The Red Severum   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - The Red Severum   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - The Red Severum   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - The Red Severum   HIV/AIDS - The Red Severum   

0 Not allowed!
    IMO he look beat to all heck.... I would keep the temp up some and watch for bacterial infections

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Sharon, hows your cat today?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I decided to add the antibiotic, as there was nothing to lose...Frank was really in bad shape, and he is in isolation. After treating, he didn't improve very much in the first 12 hours...in fact I considered euthanizing...and felt certain I would be doing it today. HOWEVER...he seems to be showing signs of improvment. His breathing is better, and he ate a piece of shrimp this morning. I've just done a water change, as I realize the tank is uncycled now...am getting Ammonia readings. I will water change when needed and hope for the best!

Thanks for asking!!!
    Sharon