· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Thanks and your first gift!! - The Red Severum Eggs woo hoo!!! - Gayle My new buddy.  LOL - Lady Hobbs because you're always there to help! - gourami*girl A beer for my fellow canuck! - NickFish 
    For being a pic hound!!! - Alfcea thankyou for all your help - sueshewoman A round of gifts for my friends at ac! - Wild Turkey to a very good buddy,happy thanksgiving - angelcakes Congrats on MOTM - Lady Hobbs 
    For being on the ball and having the forum at heart. - Brookfish Thanks for the gift! Now heres one for you ! - CephalopodLover congrats on MOTM - angelcakes same to you - mrs fishpatrick thanks for the help - LORENZO 
    merry christmas - cocoa_pleco sorry for your loss - lovleeko Seasons Greetings! - Brookfish Joyeux Noel!  :) - KrytterKrys Happy Christmas 2008 - fins_n_fur 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Northernguy 

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you Dave,great read and very educational!
    I hope it gets stickied!
    Ray Your Freindly Neighborhood,Fully Mod-ified, Self-appointed Pic Hound!! Need pics!!!
    Have you filled out your profile yet ?????????????
    The Fabulous AC ebook Please read>http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html

0 Not allowed!
    Good primer!

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hey Dave, great info! Not to mention I just got a pair of Kribs and already have fry. I was wondering what kind of leaves I could put in the tank.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by robnepper
    Hey Dave, great info! Not to mention I just got a pair of Kribs and already have fry. I was wondering what kind of leaves I could put in the tank.
    I use fallen, brown, Oak leaves and boil them a couple minutes so they will sink and are sterile. It's kind of neat when the Kribs pick up an leaf to see if anythings under it to eat.
    Some better shops, especially those that cater to Bettas, carry tropical fig leaves that you could use the same way; just boil them and sink them.
    I suppose Maple tree leaves that have fallen in the fall would work, but I haven't used Maple.

Dave

0 Not allowed!
    Dave-
    Wow! Outstanding write up and just what I've been looking for. I'm relatively new to the idea of keeping cichlids and this primer is just what I needed. This should be a sticky or part of the forum library. Thanks for your outstanding effort. It truly pays off.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

Awards Showcase

For doing such good research!! - Rue hehe. - Tolley nascar prize - sailor Happy Birthday! - squirt_12 For rescuing feeders!  Way to go! - Rue 
    Thanks for the rep! - robnepper To the only guy to quote himself! - Mr.Prototype Thinking of Noah & your family xxx - Fishalicious For your 1 year at AC xxx - Fishalicious Not enough gifts - The Red Severum 
    you need more! - The Red Severum one more! - The Red Severum won the lottery with your donation, had to buy you a beer - mrs fishpatrick Time for another round! - northernguy A round of gifts for my friends at ac! - Wild Turkey 
    Here's one on the house, Nick. - robnepper Merry Christmas - Northernguy Thanks!! - Wild Turkey your info has been great the last couple of days - The Red Severum I appreciate your generousity! - Brookfish 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - NickFish Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - NickFish Childhood Cancer - NickFish Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - NickFish 

0 Not allowed!
    Geez Dave, I didn't think this was possible, but you've really outdone yourself!

Amazing, amazing primer. I hope you don't mind if I print the whole thing out and tape it the side of my tank.

Truly outstanding work, this should be a sticky for sure.

Awards Showcase

For doing such good research!! - Rue hehe. - Tolley nascar prize - sailor Happy Birthday! - squirt_12 For rescuing feeders!  Way to go! - Rue 
    Thanks for the rep! - robnepper To the only guy to quote himself! - Mr.Prototype Thinking of Noah & your family xxx - Fishalicious For your 1 year at AC xxx - Fishalicious Not enough gifts - The Red Severum 
    you need more! - The Red Severum one more! - The Red Severum won the lottery with your donation, had to buy you a beer - mrs fishpatrick Time for another round! - northernguy A round of gifts for my friends at ac! - Wild Turkey 
    Here's one on the house, Nick. - robnepper Merry Christmas - Northernguy Thanks!! - Wild Turkey your info has been great the last couple of days - The Red Severum I appreciate your generousity! - Brookfish 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - NickFish Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - NickFish Childhood Cancer - NickFish Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - NickFish 

0 Not allowed!
    I have a question now about the apisto cacatuoides.

You say at the end that if the males are triple red the offspring likely won't be. Is there any color variety of cacatuoides out there where the male's color stays with the offspring? At least most of the time?

Also, if I had a mating group (lets say 1m and 3f) of cacatuoides in the tank.....that and a non-breeding pair of bolivians, how many caves should I have, and how far about should the be?

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by NickFish
    I have a question now about the apisto cacatuoides.

You say at the end that if the males are triple red the offspring likely won't be. Is there any color variety of cacatuoides out there where the male's color stays with the offspring? At least most of the time?

Also, if I had a mating group (lets say 1m and 3f) of cacatuoides in the tank.....that and a non-breeding pair of bolivians, how many caves should I have, and how far about should the be?
    Nick,
    The triple-red morph is by selective breeding, that is, the fry with the most red in their fins are carried on, and the fry without the red are culled. That gene that tells the fish to have red fins is recessive, that is, it's only expressed a small percentage of time. Probably nine out of 10 fry would be either in the natural color matrix, which is genetically dominant, or various different color morphs that were bred to achieve the triple red variation.
    The recessive genetic morph that makes the triple red males very, very rarely is carried over to the next generation because of the dominance of the natural color matrix.
    Which is no bad thing. Cockatoo males are just as beautiful in their natural colors as they are triple red or any variation.
    It's just like people. A small percentage have blue or green eyes, the vast majority have brown or shades of brown. If you continued to breed blue-eyed people with other blue-eyed people, only a small percentage would actually be blue-eyed, as it's a recessive gene. Brown and shades of brown is the dominant gene.
    In my family, my three brothers have brown eyes, my sister brown-hazel, and me blue. That's one out of five.

Dave

Dave

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    nice reading material, but just 2 little remarks

you wrote Dicrossus filamentosa, this should be Dicrossus filamentosus, and for the same reason its, Laetecara dorsigera

but good work never the less

Awards Showcase

Have a drink on me - Dave66 From a fellow BC boy - sailor For making a great game - Futureboy thanks for the rep. - robnepper Congrats on your Gold Award :) - SkinnyChicken 
    To make up for not voting you in...lol :) - MeganL3985 Have a great trip! - MeganL3985 Happy B'day - donvichu sounds like you need a beer Doug - sailor Nice job on new tank - Lady Hobbs 
    tribbles - Commodore 64 One more for the school! - Wild Turkey Seasons Greetings, have anice Christmas. - Brookfish Feliz Navidad !!! - Alfcea Happy Holidays! - Wild Turkey 
    Merry Christmas - Northernguy Congrats TOTM - Northernguy Happy Birthday Mate - fraggle Thanks, good to see you back! - Brookfish 
    Autism - doug z Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - doug z 

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks, Dave!

Some interesting reading, especially re: the cockatoos..
    75g - 20 cardinals : 7 panda cory : 5 Julii cory : 9 zebra danios : 1 CAE : 2 SAE : 2 yo-yos : 1 BN
    25g: 5 long-finned zebra danios