· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
    hedgehogfish is offline Junior Member ConvictDwarf PufferBarramundiJack DempseyEsox LucieusCatfishTrident SharkCharacidiumStarfishPlecoAdminKiller WhaleThe Berserker SushiSiamese Fighting FishA darn nice guyLoachQueenGreat white shark (admin)

Default Stocking a 55 Gallon

0 Not allowed!
    Hi! I am new to fish keeping and have been all over these forums for months as I've set up my tank and figured I'd ask about my stocking options..

48X12

Filtration
    Aqua clear 70 filter
    Aqua clear 50 filter
    2 air pump hoses

I set it up a few months ago and started with 8 barbs and 6 giant danios. Once the cycle got going I added 3 polka loaches (PetSmart). Then I added 2 Colombian plecos that I switched out aloft albino bn plecos. I also got 1 bplood parrot

The loaches got ICH and died (I kept an eye on them at PetSmart for 2 months before buying. I had them for right over a month before they got ich.). The ich also took one of my plecos.

That was all in august. About 2 weeks ago I got a synodontis multipunctatus. My current stock is

6 giant danio (4 inches
    8 tiger barbs (close to 3 inches
    1 blood parrot (4inches
    1 albino bn pleco (2 inches
    1 synodontis multipunctatus (3.5 inch

I was thinking of two different options for finalizing the tank. I want to get 3 or 4 more synod so they can feel more comfortable. The LFS was down to 1 when I bought.

My bp is also very shy. He acts kind of crazy and paranoid sometimes. Other times he just hides. Some times he is a bully because he was too scared to come eat at feeding time and snips at other fish unless I refeed him. I think giving him a friend (another bp) could help.

The lfs said they can take the danio if I wanted to donate them.

How would this be

8 tiger barbs
    1 albino bn
    2 bp
    4 or 5 synodontis multipunctatus

There is a big plant, several thin tall rocks, a piece of driftwood, and other hiding places available.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I would be careful of Tiger Barbs because they are huge fin nippers. Other than that you should be alright.

2 Not allowed!
    In a 55gal, I would recommend adding 2 more of the synodontis multipunctatus. They each have the ability to grow upwards of 8" in length, so you're running out of room relatively quickly with them. They also have a long life expectancy of 10-15+ years and are opportunistic carnivores. Be weary of keeping smaller fish with them, because they will attempt to feed on them if they become hungry enough and regular food isn't readily available. Beautiful choice, though. Would love to see them in your tank. Anymore than 3, however, would put your tank over the edge with stocking.

I can actually see the pleco getting pushed out a bit by the big cats. He'll only reach about 4-5" in length and while they can be somewhat territorial with their brethren, I don't see them winning any battles with a big cat. Shouldn't be a problem, but just be weary of it.

You're pushing stocking levels with 1 Blood Parrot, but I think you can probably get away with one more, due to your filtration. You're probably looking at 50% weekly water changes.

So, my recommendation is:

8 Tiger Barbs
    2 Blood Parrots
    3 synodontis multipunctatus
    1 BN Pleco
    Last edited by KevinVA; 01-03-2014 at 04:31 PM.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

3 Not allowed!
    Watch your water parameters.The most common cause of ich is poor water quality.

Just keep an eye on it.

I agree with Kevin for the most part on the stocking, however one "rule of thumb" I've heard is that you want the smaller dimension of the tank (12" in your case) to be double your largest fish. Since the cats get up to 8" you may want to really consider upgrading to a 75 in the future.

0 Not allowed!
    Very good advice already given. I don't have much to add other than I think a 12" wide tank is rather tight for blood parrots once they reach adult size.

And I will just add (because I cannot help myself): I'm not a fan of blood parrots as they are hybrid fish that more often than not have horribly deformed mouths. Just in case you didn't know this (ignore me if you already knew and like them anyway).
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~
    ~ My 30 Litre Tank Journal ~