· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default 29 Flatback Hexagon stocking.

0 Not allowed!
    Hello!

I have a 29 gallon that is a different shape that any I can find. My work bought it off Craigslist and I cannot find this tank anywhere online...

It is a tall flat back hex.20161025_181420.jpg

The set up is different now, there are more artificial plants and some hides. We have an Aquaclear 50 filter on it. My work would like me to start stocking, it has been running for a few weeks now. So while it is still cycling I wanted to get ideas of what we could put in it. They want schooling fish. I used the aquarium calculator but I want to get more advice. Especially since the calculator did not have an aquarium with the dimensions of this one.

I was looking at Albino Corys, Bamboo Shrimp, Neon Tetras, Clown Killifish, Celestrial Pearl Danos.

The calculator claimed I could do 4 Corys, 2 Shrimp, 7 Tetras, 5 Killifish and 5 Danios.

This feels like a lot fish but if it could work I'd like to do it.

Would they go together? Is this too many? I just don't want to move forward until I am certain they will do well.

The tank is still not ready, and I know I need to put them in slowly. Just trying to not mess it up.

2. Default

1 Not allowed!
    What are the dimensions? Longest side?

I would personally remove a school or 2 so that you can increase another school.

Do those killies that you like only live for 1 year?

Awards Showcase

Happy Birthday! - AmazonJoe Thanks for the awesome info on CO2 - Silbar Congrats oin your stickied thread. - Slaphppy7 Sorry for the loss of your little gourami - Silbar Some Holiday Cheer - SueD 
    Have a Merry Christmas - Silbar Merry Christmas - steeler58 Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Merry Christmas - AmazonJoe To get you through the day. Bork! - Taurus 

1 Not allowed!
    The celestials would be okay for a tank like that because they don't swim back and forth alot unless you have them in big numbers. The hex tanks are hard because most fish swim side to side not up and down. Neons may work but it might just bee too short for them. Bamboo shrimp would work, but if the tank is too tall then corys may not work, since they need to go to the surface for air occasionally. If the kilis are annuals-they will die off within the year, if they lay eggs then the eggs may need a dormancy "Dryout" (in moist dirt/peat) period and then a rehydration to hatch.

Another fish that may work is the boraras, I have the chili variety and they are at mutli-levels of my 20 long tanks and don't do too much swimming back and forth in the tank-or lots of schooling. They are a little smaller in body size than the celestials, same length but thinner. You could probably put a school of 18 of each in the tank but need a filter that will be able to reach the bottom of the tank, again because it is tall.

8e4388b5482a0f658e423a4c2e72a6dc.jpg
    Last edited by Boundava; 02-16-2017 at 05:13 PM.
    75g- Plecos, Rainbowfish, Edlers, Espei, Gouramis, Cory, Loaches, Amano, and misc.
    Two 5.5g- Shrimp only tanks with Bloody Mary and Blue Dream shrimp
    20L- Boraras rasbora, Kuhli loach
    20L- Pearl/blue dream shrimp, Pygmy Cory, Ember tetras and CPD

75g:
    Nat's 20L Tanks
    5.5 G Shrimp Tanks
    Future 40B Goldfish tank
    Probiotic trial

4. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Albino cories (C. aenus) will be fine with that tank height, which I think is less than 24". I had them in a 24" tall tank for 12 years with no issues gulping air at the top.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Fishtank.jpg

These are the specs for the tank. When further research what can fit in this tank, I think I have found why I can't find it anywhere. The guy told my bosses it was a 29gal, but I think its more of a 19 - 20 gallon tank.

Of course that means I'm going to have to change numbers and possibly species around. But that also mean that our filter is very strong on this tank!

My bosses want a good community tank with vibrant schooling fish. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by ecuij; 02-16-2017 at 07:57 PM.

Awards Showcase

Happy Birthday! - AmazonJoe Thanks for the awesome info on CO2 - Silbar Congrats oin your stickied thread. - Slaphppy7 Sorry for the loss of your little gourami - Silbar Some Holiday Cheer - SueD 
    Have a Merry Christmas - Silbar Merry Christmas - steeler58 Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Merry Christmas - AmazonJoe To get you through the day. Bork! - Taurus 

0 Not allowed!
    looks like a 20...
    http://hvreef.org/tank_size.html
    Hexagon Tanks

Volume in Gallons Dimensions in Inches
    (L x W x H)
    10 Hexagon 14 x 12 x 18
    14 Hexagon 14 x 14 x 20
    20 Hexagon 18 x 16 x 20
    23 Flatback Hexagon 24 x 12 x 14
    27 Hexagon 18 x 18 x 24
    33 Flatback Hexagon 36 x 12 x 16
    35 Hexagon 23 x 20 x 24
    44 Pentagon 22 x 22 x 24
    52 Flatback Hexagon 48 x 13 x 20
    60 Hexagon 27 x 24 x 28
    75g- Plecos, Rainbowfish, Edlers, Espei, Gouramis, Cory, Loaches, Amano, and misc.
    Two 5.5g- Shrimp only tanks with Bloody Mary and Blue Dream shrimp
    20L- Boraras rasbora, Kuhli loach
    20L- Pearl/blue dream shrimp, Pygmy Cory, Ember tetras and CPD

75g:
    Nat's 20L Tanks
    5.5 G Shrimp Tanks
    Future 40B Goldfish tank
    Probiotic trial

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ecuij View Post
    Fishtank.jpg

These are the specs for the tank. When further research what can fit in this tank, I think I have found why I can't find it anywhere. The guy told my bosses it was a 29gal, but I think its more of a 19 - 20 gallon tank.

Of course that means I'm going to have to change numbers and possibly species around. But that also mean that our filter is very strong on this tank!

My bosses want a good community tank with vibrant schooling fish. Any suggestions?
    black sand for substrate

a lot of celestial pearl danio (20) or chili rasboras

green neon tetras (15)

a lot of albino cories (10)

Is the back black already?

Is the tank cycled?
    Last edited by Rocksor; 02-16-2017 at 08:31 PM.

8. Default

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post
    black sand for substrate

a lot of celestial pearl danio (20) or chili rasboras

green neon tetras (15)

a lot of albino cories (10)

Is the back black already?

Is the tank cycled?
    If its a 20g that alot of stock. I like all those choices but id pick cpd or chilis. I think 10 cories are a bit much in the footprint. Id scale down to the recommended minimum of 6.

9. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by flchamp89 View Post
    If its a 20g that alot of stock. I like all those choices but id pick cpd or chilis. I think 10 cories are a bit much in the footprint. Id scale down to the recommended minimum of 6.

In the wild, they swam by the hundreds in the shaded areas of the river bank. It is not unusual to find 10 or more within 1 square foot. The behavior differences between 6 and 10 are dramatic.

AQADVISOR says that 20 CPD, 15 green neon, and 10 albino cories put you at 101% stocking for that style tank.

http://aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisor.php?A...rchMode=simple

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Fire away....aquavisor a nice tool but its not the gospel in my book. Being that its a hex with the footprint I think its borderline on cories all together.

Im just giving my opinion. But 45 fish in a 20g tank??? Im just a rookie.