· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Need help chosing a light

0 Not allowed!
    Hello. I'm still new to the forum, though not so new to fish keeping in a general term. I am, however, a little newish at keeping planted tanks. I started in a 2 gallon, then moved to a 10 gallon. Currently my tank is in a 20, and doing "alright" It's growing slowly, and not really dying, though my lighting is low.

I chose to post in the plant board, and not the technical board because I need lighting specific for plants, as that's what I'm primarily trying to do. I'm looking to move my tank into a 29 gallon, but I know my 2 "regular strip lights" will NOT be strong enough for the depth of a 29 gallon, which is the same foot print as a 20 long, excpet it's taller :)

I've been looking at Ebay, and found some apperingly nice once, and wanted some advice/imput from some people with much more experience in planted tanks. I'd like to get the right light the first time! :)

Here is the first one:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/AQUARIUM-LIGHT-3...3286.m20.l1116

And another one:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/30-Power-Compact-Aquarium-Light-2X-65-w-Moon-Lunar_W0QQitemZ190256790254QQcmdZViewItem?hash=ite m190256790254&_trkparms=39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A15|240% 3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Also, is there a functional purpose to the "moonlight" in that second link? Or is this one of those, for our enjoyment type things?

0 Not allowed!
    RitzieAnn,
    Personally, I use JBJ Formosa DX fixtures over my planted tanks. Four-foot model pumps out 260 watts power compact lights. You need bulbs with a 6700K color temperature as that's smack dab in the middle of sunlight.
    Coralife makes a good power compact fixture as well, and equal in performance as the ones I use.
    The moonlights came into vogue when it was discovered some years ago that several different kinds of fish keyed their breeding by the phases of the moon. Problem with them in fixtures is it's a bright full moon all night every night, negating the advantage in breeding the fishes.
    There are electronic devices that can vary the intensity of moon lights to simulate the 30-day moon cycle, but they aren't cheap.
    Can't skimp on lights for a planted tank. You're looking for at least four watts per gallon of 6700K light.

Dave

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah, the guy downtown told me that a 30 inch 2x65w was a good one, and it's $193. And another would be the 30 inch 96 watt at $129.

While I know those are good, as that's what he said. Also that 3w is fine for my 20L with the plants I have, but if I move to the 29 then I'll need 4-6wpg (this man is amazing. Very weird, and it's NEVER a short visit to his shop, but his tanks are beautiful and he's got well over 15,000 gallons worth of aquariums) Well... I was saying, I do'nt know how to find one "by myself" ;)

I was thinking the 2 lights I linked in my first post were good. Theyr'e also a nicer price. Are they good? Or an I totally wrong on that?

0 Not allowed!
    I am not familiar with the 2 lights to which you linked but I use this light with great result on my 29 gallon planted tank:

http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS...esingle30strip
    8 tanks running now:
    1x 220 gallon, 2x55 gallon, 1x40 gallon long, 1x29 gallon, 1x20 gallon long, 1x5.5 gallon, 1x2 gallon
    Gouramis, barbs, rasboras, plecos, corys, tetras, fancy guppies, swordtails, ottos, rainbow shark, upside-down catfish, snails, and Max and Sparkles the bettas.

0 Not allowed!
    LoL That's the exact coralife fixture I mentioned. I'm not used to the smaller-sized fixtures like that; the low price is amazing with the fans, electronic ballasts and reflector those things have.

Dave